SCORPiON5150

KTM 200 Year / Model Changes?

Considering picking up a used KTM 200 somewhere and need a little guidance on what years to shoot for, or what years to settle for... From what I understand, the XC-W model is the replacement for the old EXC? I am wondering why the newer bikes don't seem to have headlights ever??

My budget will allow me to pick up probably a 2003 model or older, so I am curious if there are significant changes between let's say 99-2005 that I should be aware of before I hunt down the best deal I can find? I've found a few 03 bikes for under $2500 which seems like a good buy.

I just wanna make sure that there weren't a bunch of significant changes in 04, or that there were no changes between 99-2003, since I could pick up a 99 or 2000 for under $2000 and dump some cash into aftermarket parts and such.

THANKS!

I had a KDX200 a couple years ago that I've been kicking myself for getting rid of so I am really strongly considering stepping over to the orange side for my trail bike..

Nobody wants to divulge any information on the 200's production? C'mon guys are there significant changes over the years or what? All these views and nobody cares to reply?

I've heard that alot of you KTM guys were kind of arrogant so maybe that's what's going on here? Want to keep the "best kept secret trail weapon" a secret? Any Yamaha or Honda forum I would have a half dozen replies by now.

Perhaps I should just go get another KDX200 instead since they are reliable, dirt cheap, and have a strong brotherhood-like following??

Perhaps I don't fit the "profile" to own a KTM?

PLEASE HELP! Right now I am :worthy::thumbsup: with both the bike and the lack of help on this end of the forum.

96-97- basically the same with the butterscotch orange color and different color graphics. The last years of linkage rear suspension. 125-200(97 only)-250-300-360.

98-99-new bikes with current orange colors, linkless rear suspension, 50mm WP forks. 125-200-250-300-380.

00-01-02-basically the same with upside down 43mm forks. 00 black gas tank,01-02 clear gas tank.125-200-250-300-380.

03-48mm forks and some change in plastics,seat,tank on some models, rear shock has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

04-new one piece rear fender,tank,seat,airbox. 48mm forks,new chassis and motor for 250-300 8lbs lighter, rear has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

05-new headlight mask, no more top out spring in shock.125-200-250-300.

06-new designations, XC replaces MXC, XC-W replaces EXC,no lights or spark arrestors on off road models to help meet US guidelines for 2st imports. These have the lighting coils and lights can be added. Black wheels.

125-200-250-300.

Thats from the FAQ, thats all i can really tell you cause im on a CRF250 at the moment, i to am looking to get a 200XC or XC-W, little newer though.

In 2004 the bike got a lot better. If you can, hold out for a '04 or newer bike.....I see you have an old Husky. I used to have an '81 CR430. I got it when I was 13 and sold it when I was 26. I regret selling it.

Apparently the guys that know a lot about the 200 are not on here today. Be patient and they can help you much more than I. KDX's are cool, but they are comparable to a XR. The Katooms are serious race bikes and out perform the KDX's.

• Like 1

96-97- basically the same with the butterscotch orange color and different color graphics. The last years of linkage rear suspension. 125-200(97 only)-250-300-360.

98-99-new bikes with current orange colors, linkless rear suspension, 50mm WP forks. 125-200-250-300-380.

00-01-02-basically the same with upside down 43mm forks. 00 black gas tank,01-02 clear gas tank.125-200-250-300-380.

03-48mm forks and some change in plastics,seat,tank on some models, rear shock has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

04-new one piece rear fender,tank,seat,airbox. 48mm forks,new chassis and motor for 250-300 8lbs lighter, rear has top out spring.125-200-250-300.

05-new headlight mask, no more top out spring in shock.125-200-250-300.

06-new designations, XC replaces MXC, XC-W replaces EXC,no lights or spark arrestors on off road models to help meet US guidelines for 2st imports. These have the lighting coils and lights can be added. Black wheels.

125-200-250-300.

Thats from the FAQ, thats all i can really tell you cause im on a CRF250 at the moment, i to am looking to get a 200XC or XC-W, little newer though.

See, I told you! :thumbsup:

omg... you kept the same bike for 13 years? i have had my CRF for a year and a bit now and im ready to sell it :thumbsup: back on topic, yea all the people that have the 200's must be out riding them today.

See, I told you! :thumbsup:

Hehe no replies all day and 1 little jab at the KTM crowd's ribs and I get 3 replies in 15 mins... Funny how that works sometimes :worthy:

Thanks for the info!

I love my new 200.

However, I'm a total n00b when it comes to KTM heritage and only really know about the new ones. :worthy:

Don't get discouraged, though. I've found some very useful information on here and everyone seems to be pretty friendly. :thumbsup:

Considering picking up a used KTM 200 somewhere and need a little guidance on what years to shoot for, or what years to settle for... From what I understand, the XC-W model is the replacement for the old EXC? I am wondering why the newer bikes don't seem to have headlights ever??

My budget will allow me to pick up probably a 2003 model or older, so I am curious if there are significant changes between let's say 99-2005 that I should be aware of before I hunt down the best deal I can find? I've found a few 03 bikes for under $2500 which seems like a good buy.

I just wanna make sure that there weren't a bunch of significant changes in 04, or that there were no changes between 99-2003, since I could pick up a 99 or 2000 for under $2000 and dump some cash into aftermarket parts and such.

THANKS!

I had a KDX200 a couple years ago that I've been kicking myself for getting rid of so I am really strongly considering stepping over to the orange side for my trail bike..

I'd be looking at 2004 to 2007. In 2006, the EXC went away, and was replaced with the XC/WC-W which had no lights. But could be added. The XC wasnt wired, the XC-W is. But complete kits are available and the kits use all OE parts. The 200 is a sweet machine. The 300 is the best trail bike IMHO. I bought a Kawasaki KDX 220 brand new back in 2001. Nice bike, but you will throw rocks at it after riding a KTM 300!

The 200 is a sweet machine. The 300 is the best trail bike IMHO. I bought a Kawasaki KDX 220 brand new back in 2001. Nice bike, but you will throw rocks at it after riding a KTM 300!

I have considered (and am still open to) the 300 as well but I don't know too much about them. I rode a 2004 250cc 2T KTM (unsure what model) a couple weeks ago that I swapped my XR650R for in some super tight slow trails and it was a blast. That's the only KTM I have ever ridden but when I had my KDX I always heard such grand things about the KTM 200 EXC I have always been dying to try one out. Unfortunately NOBODY in my area has a KTM of any sort that I could try out - in fact I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 at all around here and all 4 strokes.

The KTM I rode was like a bicycle jumping off the XR650R. This trail was SO TIGHT of single track that the XR was real work to ride around and serious clutch work was required everywhere I went. The KTM chugged along very well in comparison through the slow stuff but I did honestly feel it was pretty underpowered for a 250. It felt like my old KDX would have probably given it a run for it's money power wise but it could have been the guy's jetting or the fact that we were riding around 6000 ft., or if you look at the bikes I own maybe it just feels that way to me, who knows! It also seemed like my old 01 KDX200 would lug alot more in the slow or really tight stuff though due to the way it made its power and the gearing.

I always own several bikes all suitable for different terrains so right now I am looking for a light, super-nimble bike that is geared appropriately and has enough low end grunt to tackle the nastiest technical, tightest, narrowest, and rockiest of northwestern trails. I need a bike to hit a couple nasty rutted and rocky hillclimb trails that all my bigger bikes struggle on. Something that will leave the riding buddies angry trying desperately to make it up something while I sit there at the top of the hill waiting, eating a sandwich. Something so easy to tackle these tasks, it truly does feel like you are cheating.

How much smaller, lighter, or more nimble is a 200 vs. a 300? I understand the 300 is on the 250 chassis but is the 200 then on the 125 chassis or all it's own?

I am a fairly new KTM owner. Bought a new 2006 300xcw. Nice bike, very 4-strokish, almost impossible to stall, great do-it-all bike. Could adjust the hit bay swapping PV springs. Will climb just about anything. What I didnt care for is it seemed like it got too much traction and wouldnt spool up as quickly as I would have liked (wanted more traditional 2-stroke hit), but when it did eventually get on the pipe it was a bit much for me and chewed me up and spit me out, if that makes sense. Also the gearing seemed a little gapped out.

Ended up trading for a 2006 200xcw. I love this bike. This has a PV adjuster on it, although I have never messed with it because the previous owner had it set up very well as a AA rider. This feels lighter than the 300, lugs pretty well, requires a little more aggresive riding than the 300. 2005 was the last year they imported with lights or spark arrestor on them, something to do with the EPA, but the wiring is still there making it easy to slap on lights.

I thought the 200 came out in 1998. My understanding is the engine itself hasnt changed much over the years. Have heard rumors that the first couple years the transmissions had weak points/problems. Seems that over the years the carb has gotten smaller for more low end power.

My brother-in-law bought a 2003 200sx very cheap after riding my bike. The sx is more of a revver, but still handles and runs excellent. These 200 sx's can be had relatively cheap from what I have seen. I did notice the other day that his sx also has the wires in place for lighting.

omg... you kept the same bike for 13 years? i have had my CRF for a year and a bit now and im ready to sell it :worthy: back on topic, yea all the people that have the 200's must be out riding them today.

Yep, but I also had other bikes. :thumbsup: ......That 430 was a really cool bike. It would wax todays four fiddies like nothing. It was a 6 speed and would rip the front wheel up in 6th gear. It was also the lightest bike I've ever owned, but it wouldn't turn worth a darn.

My buddies have a 200 and a 250. We have swapped bikes.

If you want torque, get the 300. The 300 is the torquiest smoker that I know of.

The 200 is very light and easier to maneuver in the tight s/t. It has plenty of power, but lacks the torque of the bigger bike so you need to stay on the pipe.

The 250 is in the middle.

the reason we don't jump on these threads is that we hope you read the FAQ section in the pinned thread and find some of it out for yourself...as biker boy posted some of it. There's lots of information there, these questions get asked A LOT, and a little searching and reading goes a long way. As much as I like to talk about KTM's, I get tired of typing the same stuff over and over.:thumbsup:

Everyone else has pretty much covered the bases though.

the reason we don't jump on these threads is that we hope you read the FAQ section in the pinned thread and find some of it out for yourself...as biker boy posted some of it. There's lots of information there, these questions get asked A LOT, and a little searching and reading goes a long way. As much as I like to talk about KTM's, I get tired of typing the same stuff over and over.:thumbsup:

Everyone else has pretty much covered the bases though.

I read through the FAQ before posting, and I used the search function. I was unable to find all the answers I was looking for in posts and the FAQ info was not all specific to the 200, whereas it seems the other models (250 & 300) seem to share a ton of stuff. So, after 2 days of strictly reading I posted here. I have since found KTMTALK.com and after joining and being able to read posts there I have most my answers.

I have found an 05 EXC semi-locally (80 miles away) for cheap, and an 03 EXC about 150 miles away which are both very close as far as any ktm at all goes. I am now in the process of getting a straight up comparison between those 2 years.

Do you guys think the 05 is so much a better bike than the 03 that it is worth another $1100 both in the same conditions? That seems to be general market difference everywhere I look. Low priced 03s are around $2000-$2500 I've found, and low priced 05s are $3000-$4000ish it seems. Lots of 03 and even 04s around under $3k but I can hardly find an 05+ in the country that cheap.

I read through the FAQ before posting, and I used the search function. I was unable to find all the answers I was looking for in posts and the FAQ info was not all specific to the 200, whereas it seems the other models (250 & 300) seem to share a ton of stuff. So, after 2 days of strictly reading I posted here. I have since found KTMTALK.com and after joining and being able to read posts there I have most my answers.

cool, looks like we need to do some work with the FAQ section

I have found an 05 EXC semi-locally (80 miles away) for cheap, and an 03 EXC about 150 miles away which are both very close as far as any ktm at all goes. I am now in the process of getting a straight up comparison between those 2 years.

Do you guys think the 05 is so much a better bike than the 03 that it is worth another $1100 both in the same conditions? That seems to be general market difference everywhere I look. Low priced 03s are around $2000-$2500 I've found, and low priced 05s are $3000-$4000ish it seems. Lots of 03 and even 04s around under $3k but I can hardly find an 05+ in the country that cheap.

Both are good, but the 05 has some improvements. Susp is much improved and the frame is beefier. The plastics changed as well. I am sure there are other slight differences. I can get another basically stock low hour 05 here, in the mid $2K's if I needed it. You would have to ship it cross country though.

KTMTalk is the way to go!......Do you have a KTM dealer nearby?......I would try to get the '05. Try to talk the guy down though.

KTMTalk is the way to go!......Do you have a KTM dealer nearby?......I would try to get the '05. Try to talk the guy down though.

Nearest dealers are a small one 80 miles south and a slightly larger one 110 miles northeast. Haven't ventured towards calling either to see if they have any used 200s. Even if so I seriously doubt they would be gracious enough to let me test ride one, nor have the area to do it except on pavement. Wish I could just go buy a new one but I don't have the required funds. I think I'm gonna lean towards finding an 05+ bike instead of compromising.. Generally lower hours on a 2 year newer bike too I'd suppose. Are there major differences between 05 and say 07? Or 06 maybe? I've seen a few 06s for almost the same as the 05s too.. Maybe a few hund more but again if there are drastic improvements I have no problem spending more. My KDX200 for instance a guy could go out and get a 97 or an 05 and you have the same bike except BNG but it's cool to see a company is actually making improvements on a bike instead of the attitude of "these are selling great, no major problems.. DON'T CHANGE IT" attitude Kawi seems to have had with the KDX!.

Between '05 and '07, the suspension was the biggest change I think. I wouldn't pass on a good deal on anything from '04 and newer.

Bringing this thread back to life since it hasn't been updated since 2008.  

Can anyone provide insight on the significant model year changes for the 200 XC-W up to 2016?