enduro racing on a pig???

ok this has been buggin me for a while now so i need some input from the experts. would i be crazy to try and race an enduro on my '04 suzuki dr650? i know it's heavy and i know it's a tractor and all that... but i'm honestly quite used to it and pull some pretty long days riding. not just fire roads either but tight single track trails and some pretty rough stuff. in the past few months especially i've gotten real comfortable on this bike and love it. i recently tested out an older kawi kx 500 that my friend is trying to sell but it wasn't much lighter than my dr650... i showed him my bike and he really got me thinking about thing. i know i won't be in first place or anything like that but i'd just like to be able to get into some organized races and just have a good time... all constructive criticism is welcome :thumbsup: thanks all...

mike

Back when I lived in OH, PA, and VA, the smaller/lighter the bike seemed to be preferred in Enduro Racing/Riding:eek:

HOWEVER......there is nothing wrong with riding your DR650 anywhere off road just to have some great fun on different terrain. Look at it that "you are not racing......you are just riding!" And I have had plenty of fun throughout the years just riding!

If you turn serious with this ENDURO BUG....you can then checkout smaller/lighter bikes that you could have even more fun on.

BUT just remember, most of the other riders ARE ALSO on these smaller/lighter race bikes too!!

As to a KAWA 500???..........wow, if you were out here in ARIZONA in the OPEN DESERT, maybe this bike would work, but even here out in the desert, for when we ride single-track, a 500 2-stroke is the last bike we'd choose to toss a leg over!

HappyRiding !!

:thumbsup::worthy:

there's no law against trying it, just go for it :thumbsup:

Tell them to put you in short course the first time out. It's gonna get heavier by the end. I would think finishing and enduro without houring out on any 650 would be a major accomplishment. Good Luck...

Tell them to put you in short course the first time out. It's gonna get heavier by the end. I would think finishing and enduro without houring out on any 650 would be a major accomplishment. Good Luck...

+1 :thumbsup:

Just come out and try one! There are a bunch of enduros in the ECEA that have a dualsport class. Depending on where in PA you are, you are a few hours away from some really great events. Check out www.ecea.org

Ive ridden enduros on XR650Ls, DRZ400S and even 2 seasons on a KX500(which wasnt all that bad, pretty good as a matter of fact).

thanks guys... i figure what's the worst that could happen right? what i come in dead last, hour out and crash a few times... sounds like a fun day to me :thumbsup:

zz3gmc - yeah i'm on the ecea site actually. lots of helpful guys there too. i've been trying to find a club to join as that'd probably help in getting into enduros. i had a couple guys offer me to ride on their minute even but i just haven't had the chance to make it to one yet. i figure i'm going to finish getting into shape this season then hit it hard next season. anyone have anymore tips for any clubs in pa i'd appreciate anything you guys can tell me

thanks guys... i figure what's the worst that could happen right?

The worst that can happen is you spend $45 to meet some great people and ride some great trails.

Don't wait. I was saying the samething, join a club 1st, get in shape ect.

Just pick one and go, this year. I went to my 1st enduro this year alone, didn't know anybody, didn't know what to do ect.

Everyone there was some of the best people you could meet and very helpful.

I didn't worry about time keeping, just road as fast as I could till I houred out.

Had a blast.

i figure i'm going to finish getting into shape this season then hit it hard next season. anyone have anymore tips for any clubs in pa i'd appreciate anything you guys can tell me

Don't wait! Get out there now and see what it's like. I have a friend that races enduros here in Ohio on a BMW 650 XChallenge. I'm not sure he's even finished one yet, but he absolutely loves it and can't wait 'till the next race. It's all about having fun. That is the only thing you have to lose by waiting 'til next spring.

I worked for a place called Cooper Cycle Ranch in NJ where I was Parts MGR for a while. Sherm Cooper with Wally8 Dallenbach crated the Colorado 500 race which is an invite only Enduro...100 miles a day. I watch old man Copper ( At that time probably nearing 70 years old) first hand ride with the likes of Brock Glover and Malcolm Smith, and do this whole race on an 86 XL500 pig of a bike! Ive seen guys take and XL250 and clear doubles on an MX track just to see if they could do it. Im sure your Dr650 can handle an Enduro if you can...Its all about fun and Im sure you wont be the last one if your competent and comfortable on the bike. Good luck and let the board know about your first race result!

The biggest bike I've ridden was a 450X and that kicked me in the pants compared to my 250.

650...ooooh yeah.

I say go for it!! :thumbsup:

Work on your fitness and upper body strength, you're going to need to be stronger than the guys on light bikes. Pick up heavy weights...

The stronger you are, the more your 650 will feel like a 450.

Practice picking laying the bike down & picking it up to your back and arms strong...

In this age of featherweight bikes, just racing on an old skool 650 is an achievement in itself, even if you finish last...

I say go for it!! :thumbsup:

Work on your fitness and upper body strength, you're going to need to be stronger than the guys on light bikes. Pick up heavy weights...

The stronger you are, the more your 650 will feel like a 450.

Practice picking laying the bike down & picking it up to your back and arms strong...

In this age of featherweight bikes, just racing on an old skool 650 is an achievement in itself, even if you finish last...

well not to come across like i'm some muscle head but i do keep in pretty good shape. i'm 5'11" weigh 200lbs and not fat at all :busted: i think that already plays a big part in why i'm so comfortable on my dr. i just need to get my feet wet a little and build some confidence. thanks everyone :worthy:

I say go for it, don't ever let someone else tell you what you can't do, nature and physics will take care of that. To top it all off you may do better than anyone expects, but surely have fun in the process. We didn't buy dirt bikes cause we like the easy life or to stay clean.

ok, so does someone want to kick me in the right direction for how to really get started racing in Pa? like what am i going to need and do i have to register and where to register and all that... oh and how much time do i have left this season? probably up till around late october anyway huh? i'm really excited about this...