rev-limiter

I posted the other day about breaking up in high rpm's and Eddie assures me that I'm hitting the rev-limiter.

does this happen to everyone else all the time?

It doesn't feel like I'm winding it out that far, I think?

I don't have a tach so I'm not positive.

I posted the other day about breaking up in high rpm's and Eddie assures me that I'm hitting the rev-limiter.

By breaking up do you mean that itll start to sputter, or it just won't rev any higher.

On my bike, I have to be pretty quick not to hit it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th.

You can use your speedo as a tach. There is a gearing spreadsheet in the DRZ Faqs at the top of the forum. You enter in it your final gearing and tire data. Then you can see where each gear tops out in mph.

The best way to explain the rev limiter is for you to see for your self. start the bike wait a second then hold the throttle wide open until u hit the rev limiter.

it wont rev any higher

I don't have a spedo

Isn't it really bad to hold wot in netural?

I would not do it in neutral.

I have 2 DRZ E's with BB and RS-3's.

Aug100800240.jpg

I swear that my 02 hits the limiter quicker than my 04. I feel like I have to short shift the bike to avoid the limiter. I don't ever recall hitting the limiter on the 04. I was thinking about swapping the CDI's between them to see if one limits quicker than the other.

is the CDI the thing under the seat?

Do they make an aftermarket one or is there a way to program it to see what rpm it's set to?

is the CDI the thing under the seat?

Do they make an aftermarket one or is there a way to program it to see what rpm it's set to?

I have searched and Eddie says to stay away from the aftermarket CDI's. I looked over BLT's post and someone mentioned different rev limits between the models. I will look them up and see if they are different part numbers. I bought the 02 used, maybe it has had a S or SM cdi swapped in it. The CDI is the box below the seat. I assume the limiter is controled with the box. :thumbsup:

I looked up the part numbers between the 02 E and 02 S and they are different part numbers. My 02 has always seemed to hit it, before I added the BB and before I added the pipe. Eddie, are there different limits for different models?

yea that is the cdi under the seat. Dyna makes one that bumps rev to 11k, so a 500rpm increase. Not really worth the money though.

do not i repeat do not raise the rev limit with stock valves and springs.

the motor isnt making power that high any way.

just shift.

I have 2 DRZ E's with BB and RS-3's.

Aug100800240.jpg

I swear that my 02 hits the limiter quicker than my 04. I feel like I have to short shift the bike to avoid the limiter. I don't ever recall hitting the limiter on the 04. I was thinking about swapping the CDI's between them to see if one limits quicker than the other.

until you correct the compression ratio you cannot compare them.

Eddie, are there different limits for different models?

I am certainly not Eddie but,

IIRC E limit is 10500, S/SM limit is 10000. Also the E hits it harder and more abruptly.

IIRC E limit is 10500, S/SM limit is 10000. Also the E hits it harder and more abruptly.

I'm with you on this ^^

Thanks dpsmith, I will do a quick CDI swap between bikes and find out if the 02 rev's more with the 04's box. As I said before, I have to conciously short shift the 02 but have never even noticed the limiter on my 04. :thumbsup: I will try to do it tonight...

I got home from work and swapped the CDI's between the bikes. I rode the 02 with the 04's box. The 02 still seemed to hit the limiter quick. The "seat of the pants" conclusion was that there was no real difference between the boxes and I will just have to learn to shift quicker. :thumbsup:

now you know...

it feels like mine hits it too fast, ,maybe I'll mess around with the rear sprocket? I want more out of 2nd & 3rd for the trails I ride, I have a 47 on the rear now, not sure how much bigger I can go, it looks like the chain buffer will be in the way if I go much bigger....we'll see.

it feels like mine hits it too fast, ,maybe I'll mess around with the rear sprocket? I want more out of 2nd & 3rd for the trails I ride, I have a 47 on the rear now, not sure how much bigger I can go, it looks like the chain buffer will be in the way if I go much bigger....we'll see.

If you want to hit the rev limiter later, you want a smaller rear sprocket.

Hi mate Eddie is GOD when it comes to DRZ do not question his word.I hit mine all the time. A mate and I ride over 3000k's up & back at Cape York hitting the limiter all the time.