Crunched my can!

Guys,

I've destroyed my stock muffler. The dealer wants big dollars. Am I better off going aftermarket? I've heard various opinions, one being that the stock unit is pretty good. My bike is uncorked and runs great. If I switch to a Big Gun or T-4 unit, will I have to re-jet and play around with it again, or will it pretty much be plug-n-play?? Noise is not a problem.

Thanks,

Winkel

R, L, 600? 650?

R exhaust is decent with insert. L sucks and weighs too much. An aftermarket can will start you down the long dark road of mods... but its OHHH so worth it! you can't do the aftermarket can without rejetting, Dave's Mods, etc.

What jets do you have now? I'm running an XR's Only pipe, Uni filter and desnorkeled airbox. I'm using DJ 165 main and a 55 pilot. It ran fine with the stock pilot but hot starting is improved with the 55. I have run mine with and without the quite insert and it runs good either way but it does seem to have more power and better throtle response opened up. I usually ride between 600 and 1600 feet altitude. From what I've seen if you're currently running around 158 or higher main you should be fine with aftermarket exhaust. Plus it will look and sound much better. :thumbsup:

For jetting, I'm running the 68s on the pilot and a 172 main. I have a 175 if needed. Noise isn't a problem as long as it's U.S. Forest spark arrester approved. My "R" is street legal, but when I had it inspected, it was uncorked and the cop commented that it was quieter than most Harleys on the road.

The stock unit was almost five hundred dollars at a dealership!

Aftermarket!

I worked at a big 4 dealer. Every Enduro and D/S style thumper, regardless of brand Ive ever worked on performed much better with an aftermarket exhaust or extensive mods to stock exhaust.

The only time I have not seen aftermarket do better on a bike was with some MX bikes that have excellent exhaust out of the factory but this is rare...and again never have I seen this this case with a big thumper.

If you need a stock muffler for a XR650R, pm me. I've got one lying around, collecting dust u can have. I have the Procircuit T4 exhaust on mine. I've never had the stock exhaust on the bike, so I'm not sure how it runs w/ the stocker. I do know the stock exhaust weighs a lot more than the T4 setup.

hi i have a question too.i'm planing to change my stock muffler with a new powercore4.my bike xr650r has stock headers no jetting done(not uncocked) .do i have to mess with the jetting also

For jetting, I'm running the 68s on the pilot and a 172 main. I have a 175 if needed. Noise isn't a problem as long as it's U.S. Forest spark arrester approved. My "R" is street legal, but when I had it inspected, it was uncorked and the cop commented that it was quieter than most Harleys on the road.

The stock unit was almost five hundred dollars at a dealership!

$500.00 seems a bit greedy.

I checked two places online (RonAyers and Service Honda) it is priced around $350.00 (Muffler Assembly part number 18300-MBN-671) and that includes the tip. That is for an XR650R.

I have an FMF Q2 on mine, and I like it. I didn't like the volume of the drilled stock tip when I uncorked it.