Street Legal CRF405R questions...

I have an 04 crf450r, stock, and it came with a California license plate. I bought a baja designs kit to legal it all up and had a few questions... Stock sprockets are 13-48; i was wondering if a 14-48 or 14-50 might be better for the road. Also, the 450R is mx bike but can the stock suspension be adjusted to ride more comfortably (and safer) at higher speeds? Finally, could anyone recommend a decent tire that is road worthy, but wont wash out immediately off road (fire roads). I have Pirellei M21's right now, but they are more dirt than road. Im not really going for the super-motard thing, just tryin to dualsport out the 450R for the roads between trails. Thanks...

how did u or the previous owner get a ca licence plate for an 04 crf450????

As far as gearing goes, you might consider a 15/45, or you will make the motor bleed at highway speeds. It will still be turning high RPM's.

I have an 04 crf450r, stock, and it came with a California license plate. I bought a baja designs kit to legal it all up and had a few questions... Stock sprockets are 13-48; i was wondering if a 14-48 or 14-50 might be better for the road. Also, the 450R is mx bike but can the stock suspension be adjusted to ride more comfortably (and safer) at higher speeds? Finally, could anyone recommend a decent tire that is road worthy, but wont wash out immediately off road (fire roads). I have Pirellei M21's right now, but they are more dirt than road. Im not really going for the super-motard thing, just tryin to dualsport out the 450R for the roads between trails. Thanks...

If your gonna go up in the front 1 tooth, than i wouldnt go up in the rear to lol. depends on what kinda road speeds your gonna wanta do. I run 14-48 on my bike, but its on a 17' wheel not a 19. So 14-48 should make the bike good for traveling at 50-60 easily. I know mine gets buzzy over 50

how did u or the previous owner get a ca licence plate for an 04 crf450????

I purchased it from a guy that got it licensed on the east coast (Rhode Island?) and the transferred it here. He raced it a few times and then was going to super motard it but sold it to me before it got super retarded :thumbsup:. I live in a small town surrounded by national forest and just wanna bop in and around town on it.

As far as gearing goes, you might consider a 15/45, or you will make the motor bleed at highway speeds. It will still be turning high RPM's.

Dont want the motor to bleed :thumbsup:. I dont wanna go mach 10 either..just be able to keep up with the speed limit (and a tiny bit more).

A friend if mine just did a crf250x much like the way you are wanting to do your 450. I am not sure what the model name of the tires he put on is but they are made by michelin. They look like a decent offroad tire. He has 60 miles of just pavement and they look like new. But yet to see dirt. Check them out, they may be just what your lookin for.

I have heard a few say the 450R's dont like high speed running such as freeway speeds etc,due to the low volume of trans oil they have.Some have claimed the trannys get too hot and tear stuff up and or lock up completely?

Anybody have any facts or truth to this?

I had an Yz426 supermoto and I went from a 49T rear to a 41T and it gave me 105mph cruised easely at 70-80, if you go to 17's a good road to dirt tire is the Avon Distanzia