Sign in to follow this  

Rim lock questions?

If I use a rim lock will it keep the tire from coming of the rim at high speeds such as a highway flat or does it just keep the tube from slipping?Also with the rim lock on the trail with a flat will it allow me to limp back safely?

If I use a rim lock will it keep the tire from coming of the rim at high speeds such as a highway flat?

Yes.

Also with the rim lock on the trail with a flat will it allow me to limp back safely?

Depends on the type of flat and what the riding conditions are... moderate trails are doable with a flat w/rimlock, as are fireroads, gravel, sand, but ROCKY conditions can be tough limping through with a flat.

Short story... get rimlocks. 9 out of 10 circumstances will benefit you from having them, and 4 out of 5 doctors recommend them... especially ER doctors:thumbsup:

1) Get flat on trail

2) Put big zip-ties through your spokes and between your knobs

3) ride out

Helps even if you have rim locks.

Dave

Rim locks or not, if you get a flat on the trail...you fix the flat on the trail :thumbsup:

Put your rimlocks in. Even the front will help out. They will be harder to balance, but you will be safer with the locks. If you blow out on the road, you will be in trouble. Read other posts of this. A high side on a tall dual sport will be a problem, more than a shorter bike!!! Rimlocks will help stabilize the tire at speed.

Rim locks or not, if you get a flat on the trail...you fix the flat on the trail :thumbsup:

There are many situations where I'd rather zip-tie up the rims and get to an area of my choosing to do the swap.

Malcom Smith favors this method, but I'd say it depends on how close you are to ... anywhere.

Dave

opposing rimlocks in the rear do help the balancing. That will only make it tougher to change the tire though. I take mine to a shop and they can deal with it.

I run rim locks on my L on the street. I did not fool with balancing them and have experienced some accelerated wear on the front because of it. The back does not seem to be as sensitive to the balance issues. It is time for some tires again and I keep hearing about getting the tires "balanced". Besides running opposing rim locks, what is used on an off road wheel and tire to balance them? Just dealing with one rim lock per wheel is a pain enough. I can't imagine what a pita two rim locks would be.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info. Now can someone recommend some for my L, I like dealing with the TT guys.

opposing rimlocks in the rear do help the balancing. That will only make it tougher to change the tire though. I take mine to a shop and they can deal with it.

I got to find that out the hard way this weekend. That was a royal PITA to change a double rimlocked rim.

There are many situations where I'd rather zip-tie up the rims and get to an area of my choosing to do the swap.

Malcom Smith favors this method, but I'd say it depends on how close you are to ... anywhere.

Dave

True. If you're only a mile or so from camp there's no need to fix the flat.

I was talking about situations when you're miles away from anywhere. You should always have a spare tube and patching equipment with you, especially if your riding rugged terrain. Trying to ride rugged terrain and/or rock gardens with a zip tied flat can get you into some serious trouble. :thumbsup:

another option to rim locks is a product that's called 'tubliss':

http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

I've had a set on order for a couple+ months now & have no idea on when they'll come.

They're ~$100 per wheel, but considering the price of HD tubes @ $22-$30 each hopefully the $$ will balance out.

me and my rideing buddies have ben using GREEN SLIM in our tires {16oz bottle} in each one. it helps smooth out the ride with no wheel weights and a bead lock. plus a little flat inshurance

another option to rim locks is a product that's called 'tubliss':

http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

I've had a set on order for a couple+ months now & have no idea on when they'll come.

They're ~$100 per wheel, but considering the price of HD tubes @ $22-$30 each hopefully the $$ will balance out.

I've looked into those. They seem like a good idea for a motocross track, but what happens when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere?

How would you fix it? :thumbsup:

I've looked into those. They seem like a good idea for a motocross track, but what happens when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere?

How would you fix it? :thumbsup:

-tire plug

-have slime inside

-insert a lightweight tube

-call your buddy with a helicopter

They say the weight is reduced "up to" 3# per wheel

I've been running one rim lock ,front & rear since last year. I got some stick on wheel weight's from my local Firestone dealer for free. I'm running 2 oz's oppisite the rim lock on the front and 4 oz's oppisite the rim lock on the rear. Each weight is a 1/2 oz, so I got two stuck on the flat part of the rim each side of the spoke's on the front and four on each side of the spoke's on the rear. They have stayed on for over a year now and alot of off road riding too. Just clean the rim with break cleaner before you apply the weight's and mark were you want them before sticking them on. I've had no balance issue's. Keep at least 6 long tie wrap's with you , to help get you back in case of a flat !

Running tubeless onthe foam tubes are new to me. Please post your findings. I've seen them for years, but never found a true assesment as my tubes have not failed me!!

While working for a Federal land managing agency I got a call that a father and son had to leave their bike way down in a canyon and walk out in the dark. (I'll give the dad points for looking for a way to do things with his son but loose points for not being a little better prepared. But hey, we make mistakes and have good stories to tell) I said I could help them the next day. The son's bike (XR400) was geared for riding flat out WOT in Baja and was a real pain to get any forward motion on the very steep up hill climbs... I mean this thing was geared high like I've never seen before. The father had just purchased a KLX250 (no rimlocks) and was much farther down the canyon on a much steeper trail. At some point the rear tire went flat. Now the point. Because the KLX had no rimlock and the trail was very steep after a while the back tire just started spinning on the rim. (Maybe because there was no rim lock the tire slipped on the rim and torn of the valve stem causing the flat) This made for ALOT of pushing with the back tire smoking and trying to hold on to the rim on the steep climbs. Of course the tube ripped off the valve stem and was trying to find it's way out of the flat tire and had to be cut. If rimlocks had been on the rear (at least) the tire would have held on to the rim and would have been easier (ride instead of push) to get out of the deep canyon. Rim locks are a great idea and that's why they're on all the better bikes. My Husaberg has two in the back. Yes it's a pain to change but it's better than having the tire slip in the middle of no where and tear off the valve stem and then deal with any problems that come up because of that... like an unplanned over nighter.