Ultimate airbox mod would be....none

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawmand/2631769536/

This thread is not about horsepower, I am not skilled enough to with these little air pumps- but I think this looks pretty cool. Anyone try something like this? Anyone know if there is any rubbing on the shock spring in this location?

ya, i'd like to know what the jetting would be with something like that

Don't do it. As I understand it the airbox shape and size help the air move cleanly into the carb.

On perfectly clean pavement that'd be fine, but as we all know most roads are anything but clean. I also like to do a fair amount of offroading on my SM so the filter would be clogged before the end of one ride.

Side currents too would be an issue along with air spun up from the tire. Do not do it unless you want bling and not performance.

that works great to go slower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawmand/2631769536/

This thread is not about horsepower, I am not skilled enough to with these little air pumps- but I think this looks pretty cool. Anyone try something like this? Anyone know if there is any rubbing on the shock spring in this location?

Hi matt, :blah:

CCM's DRZ based simple minimalist retro naked bikes are chock full of really neat design ideas... they are so freaking cool!:busted:

FT35_001r.jpg

...wheel hugging front fenders, simple retro headlight buckets, underframe megaphone exhausts, totally cool lightweight single low flattracker seats with bobbed rear fenders... no ugly elephant ear radiator shrouds...

...and that K&N style boxless air filter, which is on this very model.

I've been minimalizing my bike and had been toying with the idea of an experimental entire removal of the airbox even though I know it will screw up the good gas mileage. Eddie says it will go slower but since it's just stock SM engine and I already go slow that's not necessarily an issue of concern. I just get really curious and like to find out for myself what will happen regardless of what others say.

That's what I did with the exhaust. Two years of trying all sorts of crazy odd little things without any regard for the naysayings of others, just to see for myself what works best for my purposes. It's suprizing just how refined something can become over time through the persistent use of trial and error experiments.

And since there's already a very well established benchmark established over thousands of miles, tracking the changes should be really easy.:thumbsup:

So one day when I don't have anything better to do... I think I'll give it a try just to see what happens. :worthy:

Take Care,

Greg

that works great go slower.

another gem. I was wondering what took so long. That thing is merely an amalgamation of poorly matched parts that sum up to eye candy and nothing more. BIke shows are notorious for producing weak concept bikes that dont even perform. Roland sands is notorious for doing that around here. Here being socal. Last years LB Bike show had at least thre RS Designs bikes. MOst Ducati people that saw his butchered version of a Duc begged him to never touch one again. I guess we need to beg this guy the same thing of DRZ's.

Hi matt, :D

CCM's DRZ based simple minimalist retro naked bikes are chock full of really neat design ideas... they are so freaking cool!:busted:

FT35_001r.jpg

...wheel hugging front fenders, simple retro headlight buckets, underframe megaphone exhausts, totally cool lightweight single low flattracker seats with bobbed rear fenders... no ugly elephant ear radiator shrouds...

I've been minimalizing my bike and had been toying with the idea of an experimental entire removal of the airbox even though I know it will screw up the good gas mileage. Eddie says it will go slower but since I already go slow that's not necessarily an issue of concern. I just get really curious and like to find out for myself what will happen regardless of what others say.

That's what I did with the exhaust. Two years of trying all sorts of crazy odd little things without any regard for the naysayings of others, just to see for myself what works best for my purposes. It's suprizing just how refined something can become over time through the persistent use of trial and error experiments.

And since there's already a very well established benchmark established over thousands of miles, tracking the changes should be really easy.:thumbsup:

So one day when I don't have anything better to do... I think I'll give it a try just to see what happens. :worthy:

Take Care,

Greg

Dont you dare Greg. We need you on the DRZ forum and after you hack off your airbox, you wont have a DRZ engine anymore.:blah: Topanga is too dusty!

Dont you dare Greg. We need you on the DRZ forum and after you hack off your airbox, you wont have a DRZ engine anymore.:thumbsup: Topanga is too dusty!

Hey punisher, :worthy:

You've got to be kidding... Topanga dusty?... I never do dirt and there's no dirt here to do. Strictly a 100% asphalt road machine. And removing the airbox doesn't mean removing the air fliter. :busted:

Also note on CCM FT35:

FCR E spec engine (claimed 45 HP, probably more like 40 HP), single throttle cable, and cool rear view mirrors... there's just so many things I like about that stripped down bike...

...especially the street legal 264 pound dry weight. Which makes the DRZ a pig in comparison.

FT35_011r.jpg

Take Care,

Greg

What makes supermoto "cool" is that they fullfill all my motorcycle needs and wants in one package. Form definetly follows function with real supmo.

i only make motorcycles go faster.i never make them slower so by all means pay no attention to me if you are set on going slower.

What's the science behind it Eddie??

Is it the airbox or more the piece behind the filter that funnels down into

the carb that would cause a loss of HP. Or do these type filters just not

flow as much as a stock filter?? My bike came with a K&N that looks very

similar to this. I never have much cared for them as they aren't as easy to

clean as a foam unit.

i only make motorcycles go faster.i never make them slower so by all means pay no attention to me if you are set on going slower.

Talkin' to me?? my chains so tight that I'll pop my engine??!!!!

talkin2me.jpg

lol,no wasnt talking to you.

its all the wheelies you pull! kidding of course.

What's the science behind it Eddie??

Is it the airbox or more the piece behind the filter that funnels down into

the carb that would cause a loss of HP. Or do these type filters just not

flow as much as a stock filter?? My bike came with a K&N that looks very

similar to this. I never have much cared for them as they aren't as easy to

clean as a foam unit.

several reasons.

just a few i will go into.

first is that filter has less surface area than the stock filter.

the other major one is the stock air boot acts as a velocity stack.

on the oem fcr the intake bell is designed to use the stock air boot to continue its length and creats a smooth transition of the air jets.just clamping a filter to it creates a big "lip" that the air hits and scuases huge turbulence.

just to add another - from what I understand the airbox smoothes out the pressure pulses from the engine taking in 400cc gulps of air at a time. Since a carburetor simply meters gasoline through an orifice according to the pressure difference across the orifice - anything that disrupts that pressure is going to kill any precision in the amount of fuel passing through the jets.

several reasons.

just a few i will go into.

first is that filter has less surface area than the stock filter.

the other major one is the stock air boot acts as a velocity stack.

on the oem fcr the intake bell is designed to use the stock air boot to continue its length and creats a smooth transition of the air jets.just clamping a filter to it creates a big "lip" that the air hits and scuases huge turbulence.

Well, this post wasnt about power but the flaming can begin. :thumbsup:

Eddie, what is the optimum velocity stack? Would an 8 inch piece of steel tube work as a velocity stack?

So if we moved the filter out, gave room for air to settle, maybe even a mandrel bent ninety degree angle... while impeding the progress of air as little as possible, then isnt that a factor that can be balanced into an improved power situation?

I am not saying we should put filters on our carbs. I understand the importance of a velocity stack and smooth air for our carbs, but for some reason all that bent and kinked plastic on the DRZ has some sort of snake oil effect on the our breather-I just cant buy that this is as good as it gets.

Has anyone ever dynoed different airbox setups? velocity stack lengths? Anyone make a velocity stack for their DRZ? Ever? maybe I am wrong but it seems that this idea has been slammed alot in our forum so I am wondering what people have tried....?

Hi matt, :lol:

CCM's DRZ based simple minimalist retro naked bikes are chock full of really neat design ideas... they are so freaking cool!:doh:

FT35_001r.jpg

I've been minimalizing my bike and had been toying with the idea of an experimental entire removal of the airbox even though I know it will screw up the good gas mileage. Eddie says it will go slower but since it's just stock SM engine and I already go slow that's not necessarily an issue of concern. I just get really curious and like to find out for myself what will happen regardless of what others say.

Take Care,

Greg

Greg,

beautiful bike. Thank you so much for questioning the status quo. I can't say enough how important it is that everyone question, learn, destroy, and create.

:busted::blah::D:p:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I really like that exhaust. Did you bend it yourself?

just to add another - from what I understand the airbox smoothes out the pressure pulses from the engine taking in 400cc gulps of air at a time. Since a carburetor simply meters gasoline through an orifice according to the pressure difference across the orifice - anything that disrupts that pressure is going to kill any precision in the amount of fuel passing through the jets.

I have to look again, but I wonder if our intakes can be made to further smooth the air. That was always the point of new intakes as far as I know. :thumbsup: