Making my DR....MINE....

In the shop at 8:00am this morning....

dr11.jpg

dr12.jpg

The side stand switch got lost first, and the 2 wires jumped out, solderred, and heat shrinked.

dr15.jpg

dr20.jpg

Then small stuff like passenger pegs started dissappearing, the rear wheel came off, the shock linkage was taken out, cleaned, and re-greased...

dr16.jpg

dr18.jpg

And when the linkage was reassembled, and Eibach spring found it's way in there....

dr17.jpg

Sems like since I had room, and had to remove the inner fender to replace the tail light, I might as well trim the inner fender, and mount the tag bracket where the tag light once lived...

dr28.jpg

dr29.jpg

Sorta drifted into a little carb work....removed the tamper plug, adjusted the low speed needle out to 2 turns for a starting point, put a .020" shim under the main needle, and made a 3/16" plug for the carb vacume line.

dr21.jpg

dr22.jpg

dr23.jpg

Did I mention I radiused the inner corner of the shifter,

dr26.jpg

dr27.jpg

And installed the 14T primary sprocket, with the "quick change" clip.

dr25.jpg

Not bad for an ole coot in 5 hours, huh. Yup, dog tired, hot and drenched with sweat @1:00pm, not to mention ready for lunch.

Tomorrow, is another day, and I hit it hot and heavy again!

kliff :thumbsup:

I love the Yellow 650's! Are you going to a non vacuum petcock?

Nice brother!!! keep up the good work!!! next i would like to see a high comp piston and an fmf pipe!! oh and how could you forget about the fcr??? seriously maybe some hand guards and you should be good for lil while!!!! :thumbsup:

I love the Yellow 650's! Are you going to a non vacuum petcock?

That's right Brian, it'll have an IMS tank on in a day or 2, with a non-vacume petcock.

Suzuki - Yellow - Hurricane Bob Hannah - "ole Skool!":worthy:

Nice brother!!! keep up the good work!!! next i would like to see a high comp piston and an fmf pipe!! oh and how could you forget about the fcr??? seriously maybe some hand guards and you should be good for lil while!!!! :thumbsup:

This was Day1.... we ain't finished yet. Maybe by this weekend...:worthy:

Good report on a great day. I also like the yellow color the best. No only is it old school (cool) but it is also VERY visible. What's going to happen on day 2?

Who made that seat?

dr14.jpg

Who made that seat?

dr14.jpg

Rick Mayer, custom seats, made on your pan.

Day 2.....man, am I tired....already late, 8:30AM, so let's have at it.

New front sprocket, new chain, gotta change that rear sprocket too. OH yeah....new Kenda 270 also, the rear end is about done. I'll set the sag when I take it off the jack.

dr31.jpg

dr32.jpg

Forgot to mention, yesterday, got Perry's alternator case protector installed too. Just took the tape off this morning.

dr33.jpg

Now let's head up front. Time to re-spring with some Eibach's from Jesse. as you can see the Eibach is a tad shorter than the OEM spring. I cut the supplied clear PVC into 2" lengths, to go with the original spacer, and with the supplied washers, got about an addition 1/2" pre-load, as opposed to the OEM. This is just a starting point, and can be added to, or subtracted from, whenever deemed necessary.

dr34.jpg

dr36.jpg

dr35.jpg

One thing to remember, when doing new bars. Transfer the dowel locating holes as carefully as you can from the old bars to the new. Center punch the location, use a small pilot drill. I like 3/32", then drill to the desired size. That will usually keep the bit from walking, when trying to start the hole.

dr37.jpg

So with that said, the Renthal aluminum bars, and Acerbis hand guards are in place, and today is about done....1:30PM

dr38.jpg

But before signing off today..check out the "gravel gauard" Dad made for the headlight. 1/4" hardware cloth, and some concealled wiring attachments. I think it's pretty cool. He ain't lost it yet. 87 years old and still playing with cycles! ;D

dr39.jpg

Tomorrow.....the saga continues...

87 and livin like a kid? Fantastic! One thing though, ... when I put the Eibach front springs in I did NOT use the stock metal spacer. I believe it would give you way too much preload. You do use the washers but leave out the large spacers.

Damn Kliff. Looking good. My bike is lucky if it gets washed!

We have to get together soon to talk about those tool tubes. I want to put a better (Bigger) kit together.

Going to Lowes Friday, so's I can start building us a couple. Should have something together by next week. :thumbsup:

Cathy gets Chemo again wednesday, so I need to get things wrapped up by Tuesday, cause once she get the Chemo, I'll be with her 24/7 for a week, maybe 2.

Awesome thread. Need a report on the front end dive after the Eibach installation. The stock setup is getting to me.

I saw Hannah race in the Trophy des Nations at Unadilla back in 1987.

He was riding a 125 and running 4th overall with the 250's on the muddiest track of the year. Plus he was 40 years old. Best riding I've seen ever.

People thought he was too old to compete on the team. Not after that event.

withiam

I saw Hannah race in the Trophy des Nations at Unadilla back in 1987.

He was riding a 125 and running 4th overall with the 250's on the muddiest track of the year. Plus he was 40 years old. Best riding I've seen ever

I was at that race also, you are right on he tore it up. Where abouts are you in New York? I grew up just north of Unidilla around Oneonta before I moved to south central PA.

Day 3.... 7:45AM

Put the Kenda 776 on first thing...

dr52.jpg

Then started fiddling with the IMS tank. Don't care much for the IMS petthingy, but I sure do like Yamaha petthingys. But it required a little fiment for the dual stand offs. The "black area" needed a little releiving. Just length wise, don't go ANY wider...

dr41.jpg

dr42.jpg

dr43.jpg

Since this is a used bike, I did a little checking....look at this air filter. Yup, that's the way it came out. Apparently hadn't been that way long, as there was no dirt nor debris apparent inside it, or on the flame arrestor screen. But one good day, on some dry trails would NOT have been pretty.

dr44.jpg

Started setting the sag today. A "sharpy" comes in handy for this. Starting with 3 & 1/4"

dr45.jpg

dr46.jpg

The clutch cover I got from Perry is now in place.

dr48.jpg

Until I can fab up a proper case saver, I just thought I'd trim back the OEM sprocket cover to aid with mud dispersement, and let me take a quick peek at the "quick change clip" occassionally.

dr47.jpg

Finished up at about 12:30PM today, so roughly another 5 hours.

Taking tomorrow off, got some chores piling up. Picked up the materials for the tool tube today, so I should finish it Friday, reinstall the mirrors, change the oil and filter...and be done. So roughly, 20 hours labor to make her mine. YMMV....LOL

:worthy:

nice work! your giving me some good ideas now. looking forward to reading more and seeing the changes.

:thumbsup:

Madsdad,

I'm up in the Finger lakes region, south of Rochester.

Kliffsbuggy,

Nice high resolution pictures. Greatly appreciated!

withiam

Madsdad,

I'm up in the Finger lakes region, south of Rochester.

withiam

where? I'm originally from waterloo!

comin along great man!

and you are giving me asome good ideas as to what to do to my 650.

it will be more geared towards super moto, so the rear end will stay stock, but the front end will get a respring.

hare scrambles will always be where my heart is at, so i dont think it will be long untill the six fiddy turns back into a true dual sport.

Friday, Day 4....project finished.

At least for now, there will always be fine tuning, "gotta haves," to be added, maintenance to be performed. But at the start of today, I changed the oil and filter, then started going over every nut and bolt, 'specially the stuff I had off! Everything checked out.

Then, I made a 3" PVC tool tube, about 18" long, cap on one end, "clean out," with a screw in, plug. Sorta self explanatory, so I didn't take any construction pics.

But....the mounts. The front mount is a former passenger peg mount. I ground the peg mount off, elongated one mounting hole 1/4", and put about a 30 degree bend in it. The backmount, just a scrap piece of 16ga. steel, hole on one end, and a slot for the hose clamp to pass through.

Not trying to be vague on measurements, I DIDN'T take any. I cut, bent and drilled, if it looked good, I went with it....yeah I know...I got lazy today....but hell, it turned out pretty good...

dr71.jpg

dr73.jpg

dr75.jpg

dr76.jpg

Have I mentioned that I like wire ties...no, I mean I LIKE wire ties.

They make life so much easier. The cap, could vibrate off, nope, not with the simple retainer. Gotta cut the wire tie to open the tube. Keeps folks honest, that are honest, and keeps the top on, out on the trail.

dr81.jpg

The side cover took a weird sorta "swell" with the "super tube," but once again, wire ties to the rescue. 2 ties, will be way more secure than the one screw....

dr79.jpg

dr77.jpg

So guys, that wraps it up, for now, she's hittin' the dirt Sunday, and I'll give a performance report next week. Hope y'all enjoyed this, as much as I did. Just remember, nothing is written in stone, and my way ain't necessarily the right way, it's just how I get things done. If a good product is out there, I'll use it. If I perceive someone else's idea, as workable for my purpose, I'll use it, if all else fails, I'll "wing it," and fab up what I need.

Do your research, find what looks good for you, and go for it!

dr83.jpg

dr84.jpg