CRF450X post V2R Race Report

I thought I would do a post race report of the 2008 Vegas to Reno to let everyone know how the 450x held up after the 460 mile race. Also, I wanted to show those naysayers out there that I do ride my bike and it’s not just for show :blah::busted: .

BEFORE

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64190

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64189

AFTER

P1010396.jpg

P1010397.jpg

P1010398.jpg

The right hand gauard was damaged as a result of a low speed crash I suffered in a rock garden section. Knocked the wind out of me but everything else was ok.

Over the next week or so I will break the bike down to the frame and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Whatever wear and tear I find I will post on this thread so everyone can see how the x holds up under probably the toughest conditions you can throw at it for 11 straight hours.

As far a maintenance goes all I did during the race was change the air filter at the 116 (lubed chain also) and 345 mile markers...I did nothing else but add gas. The following are the only issues I know of that we encountered during the race:

1. After about mile 300 I began to notice the front tire was getting squirrely and I think that is when the Mousse Bib began to break down. By the end of the race my teammate said the front end was all over the place. By the looks of the tire below I can understand why. Check out the 1.5 inch gash ?. Normally I just run a heavy duty tube, but I strongly recommend running a Mousse Bib vs a heavy duty tube for the V2R or similar type race. Last year we had four flat front tires (on my teammates KTM :D, just kidding for all you closet pumpkin riders), this year zero. But in all seriousness, I think we should have changed the front and rear tires at the halfway point for maximum performance.

P1010399.jpg

2. Both the front and the rear brakes were toast at the end of the race. I started to notice that the front break was getting a little mushy towards the end of my last section around mile 340. Since I run the Rekluse clutch my teammate didn't know you have to blip the throttle to get the engine to reengage on downhills for added engine breaking. The course goes through some mountains towards the end of the race and he said it was pretty nerve racking on the final decent to the finish line with almost no brakes :worthy:.

Again, that's all I know of so far, I will keep everyone posted.

Good job!

That 450x is a beast!

How did the gripper graphics work out? And what happened to those red rims?

The gripper graphics were ok, don't know if they help that much ?. I think you would have to ride a bike with and without gipper graphics side by side to give an honest evaluation. I am wonder how they are going to look once I wash the bike later this week. I think they will hold up better than regular graphics.

The red rims were in the chase truck as backups since I didn't want to ding them up :worthy:. The stock silver rims already had some dings in them so I figured I would wear them out this race and trash them afterwards.

Nice job on finsihing that grueling trek, sorry I didnt get to meet up at tech but had to work thurs and friday, what did you place? there was so many dnfs and injured riders including my old neighbor tony modica who is still in the reno hospital in a induced coma with some broken bones please everybody keep him in your prayers as I have and hope to a speedy recovery

Again great job:thumbsup:

Hi,

Quick question - do you have a rough idea of mpg that you got over the 460 mile - what tank are you running? I am trying to decide on a tank size for a desert trip and im looking for info on mpg...

many thanks,

Hi,

Quick question - do you have a rough idea of mpg that you got over the 460 mile - what tank are you running? I am trying to decide on a tank size for a desert trip and im looking for info on mpg...

many thanks,

I believe we got in the neighborhood of 27 MPG and we were running a 3.2 gal IMS tank. I'm sure gearing played a large role in average fuel consumption over the race. The bike was setup with 15/48 gearing and I like to keep the rpms down when possible and ride in a taller gear. Its also a fast race and we ended up averaging around 45 MPH including time spent at the pit stops.

Nice job on finsihing that grueling trek, sorry I didnt get to meet up at tech but had to work thurs and friday, what did you place? there was so many dnfs and injured riders including my old neighbor tony modica who is still in the reno hospital in a induced coma with some broken bones please everybody keep him in your prayers as I have and hope to a speedy recovery

Again great job:thumbsup:

Thanks, 39 O/A and 4th 30+ Expert. It was a tough race and the course was brutal at times. I hope Tony is going to be ok and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Good job Dan'O....:worthy:

You finished, a great feat in itself. ?

I know the Bib held up for you, but they suck for "feel" compared to a tube. Kind of a toss up over worrying about flats... or riding in comfort. It's a double-edged sword... and using a BIB is really something that'll lesson the stress (even with the added "feel" of the front end - as it is odd). Using Tire-balls up front gives you a bit better feel, and offers up a similar flat-free option. It's my choice over a BIb, but they too have their issues.

The fact your race bud didn't know of the Rekluse sucks. He hadn't ridden the bike prior? No test runs? ... no getting used to the Rekluse action? Shame on you!! ... lol

... it'll be cool to break the bike down. Won't find much (it is a 450X ya know!)... but the wear parts will be easy to spot. Or where things wore and you'd never notice unless broke down. I did a bolt stress test once for a guy... after a long race, and even that was kinda cool. Didn't tell much, as we didn't do the test prior to the race (so it was guess-work).

If your reeeeeeeeally curious, you can break down our B1000 race bike from last year. It did the 1400 miles and averaged 45+mph for 29hrs of grueling torture. Amazing what a bike goes through during a race.... and doesn't give up!! (in fact, the green machine is STILL for sale at Alba Action in Poway).

Post up if you have found any race pictures of you guys... from the course side photographers. Would like to see some !!

... I'd assume you'll be racing this bike again?!

I know the Bib held up for you, but they suck for "feel" compared to a tube. Kind of a toss up over worrying about flats... or riding in comfort. It's a double-edged sword... and using a BIB is really something that'll lesson the stress (even with the added "feel" of the front end - as it is odd

Couldn’t of said it better myself; however, the Bib started to degrade in feel after about the 300 mile marker. The front end really began to slap a lot harder over bumps to the point of being uncomfortable. As I said before we had 4 flats and a DNF last year and zero flats and a finish this year, so IMHO the Bib was worth it. I am interested in seeing how the Tire Balls hold up though. Aren’t you testing the new Tubless setup? I wonder how that is going to hold up.

The fact your race bud didn't know of the Rekluse sucks. He hadn't ridden the bike prior? No test runs? ... no getting used to the Rekluse action? Shame on you!! ... lol

We did go for a test run about 3 weeks before the race :worthy:, which is more than I got last year on his KTM. My teammate basically started the bike and warmed it up while I was putting my gear on. I then hopped on and rode it over to the start line bouncing up and down trying to get a feel for the suspension…that was my test run last year :busted:. This year he got to ride my bike for about an hour; unfortunately, because of our schedule that was all the time we could work out. I did change my Flexx Bar bushings to a more stiffer feel since he was not use to the flex of the bars and the softer ones I normally run. As far as the Rekluse goes, I think he felt pretty conformable with it after the test run, but we didn’t hit any hilly terrain out there in PCE. If I would have thought about it I would have filled him in on the quirks with engine braking on downhills. Oh well live and learn. As far as the rest of the bike setup goes he liked it.

... it'll be cool to break the bike down. Won't find much (it is a 450X ya know!)... but the wear parts will be easy to spot. Or where things wore and you'd never notice unless broke down.

The bike has 48.7 hours on it (including four desert races and the Vegas to Reno) since I bought it and did a complete rebuild…stainless steel valves, piston, cam. So any wear I find will not be just from this race. I am sure everything is going to look fine and all I expect to have to do is thrown in a new piston and rings, and clean and lube everything up. I guess we’ll see.

If your reeeeeeeeally curious, you can break down our B1000 race bike from last year. It did the 1400 miles and averaged 45+mph for 29hrs of grueling torture. Amazing what a bike goes through during a race.... and doesn't give up!! (in fact, the green machine is STILL for sale at Alba Action in Poway).

No thanks…I bet it is for sale as is :blah:.

Post up if you have found any race pictures of you guys... from the course side photographers. Would like to see some !!

... I'd assume you'll be racing this bike again?!

Will do and yes I will be racing this bike again. I love the current 450X I own and really wouldn’t trade it for anything…well maybe for a new 450X with fuel injection in two-three years ?. I definitely couldn’t say that about my old 450R.

Nice job!

Curious though- why do you run a Rekluse?

Is it easier on the tranny?

Seems to be more of a slow-speed unit?

Cause I'm lazy :worthy::busted:. No seriously, I bought one a couple of years ago thinking it would help me out in slow rocky sections and of course it does. Now I have the new pro version and it is way better thant the original. I don't think there is a noticable difference at speed, once the Rekluse is engaged it acts just like a normal clutch. Is it easier on the transmission, depends on how you use it. If used correctly it definitly won't hurt the transmission, it may even prolong clutch plate life, just ask coob ?.