Terrible clicking noise.

ok so i went to the track today on a fresh oil\filter change and about 3 hours of riding i heard this really bad clicking noise i never heard before. and right when i got out of the trail i killed it by accident and it wouldnt start up again... so we ahd to cut the day short because our other yz250f wasnt working either.... I havnt checked the plug yet, but why would the plug cause a ticking noise. im 95% sure it was coming from the engine. Ill try starting it again tomarrow.

Ive changed oil before and its pretty simple so idk how it could screw up the bike.

Check your valves you would be suprised at how they move. Maybe the last time you checked them they were on the verge of breaking or moving but were still within specs. I would say check the valves because its a good chance that they are the problem

Keep us updated

Really bad clicking then it wouldn't start up again? Sounds more like the cam chain tensioner somehow failed, caused a lot of slack in the cam chain (clicking noise), and then jumped time (wouldn't start up again)... Just my opinion...

Did you have to do a major adjustment last time you checked your valves? If not, all hell is not gonna break loose immediately...

Let us know what you find out...

How is the compression?

you cant really put those in backwards. they only go in one way for me. there is a spring in it and it only goes in one spot. pretty simple.

Im pretty sure there are new valves. but no idea how many times they have been adjusted.

how do i do a compression test?

EDIT: i just checked the coolant it wasnt as full as i thought it was somewhere around 5\8 to 3\5 full. hopefully that didnt do damage. I just fired her up with full coolant and its a LOT better. and i think part of it is coming from my kickstand. i took a video ill get it up soon. im not sure if u'll be able to tell anything because my camera stinks.

bump. ok so i took everything off and checed the valves. they are awesome, perfect measurements. Now ive never seen this before. i think i know what it is. its a milky\white oil. one cause i think..... water. blown gasket somewhere?

these pictures stink. my camera's focus is broken because its so old.

IMG_0003-3.jpg

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

movie of sound. probably wont be able to hear. camera stinks =\

th_MVI_0002.jpg

where could it be coming from? should i drain the oil\coolant again? or do i have to do something more to get all that crap out? When i filled the coolant up from when i did an oil change, when iwent riding for about 3 hours there was only about 3\5 left. The only thing im thinking is maybe the little gasket on the water pump is broken and somehow the coolant is getting past the impeller into the oil pump\filter?

where could it be coming from? should i drain the oil\coolant again? or do i have to do something more to get all that crap out? When i filled the coolant up from when i did an oil change, when iwent riding for about 3 hours there was only about 3\5 left. The only thing im thinking is maybe the little gasket on the water pump is broken and somehow the coolant is getting past the impeller into the oil pump\filter?

This sounds good.?

If coolant is not coming out of the weep hole it is impossible for it to be getting in the oil from around the impeller shaft...

head/base gasket, water pump seal, cracked case or cylinder. Sounds like timing chain but it could also be some serious rod knock or piston slap (both caused by low or no oil).

Yea, sounds like you could have a blown head or base gasket...that would only solve your coolant loss problem though...check your cam chain tensioner! or If your can chain is so worn out that it has caused the tensioner to fully extend then it will also cause a bad tap...

Its intrestin b/c i used to have a yz250f.. ( now on the yz250 2 stroke ) and when i tipped it over and i struggled for a bit to pick it up such as being stuck on a hill. Once i got it fired up again the valves would tick really loud... next day i start it not a sign of any ticking.. for some reason this only happens when i lay it down. Other than that always starts first kick hot or cold.