Helmet cleaning ideas?

I have a Fox V3 Helmet. I love it but after a few rides, the helmet smells awful :thumbsup: I took out the lining, and put them in the washing machine. They smell great but the rest of the inside of the helmet still stinks. I tried soap and water but still no luck. Any ideas? My HJC never smelled as bad as this fox!

I stuff a few of those freshner sheets that you put in the dryer wherever you can get them in the helmet. It keeps my helmet pretty fresh !

I stuff a few of those freshner sheets that you put in the dryer wherever you can get them in the helmet. It keeps my helmet pretty fresh !

very good idea!

i leave the lining in mine and put my helment in the dishwasher and set the drying option for "air dry".

I take out all of the pads and wash them in the kitchen sink with warm water w/1/2 a cap of laundry detergent in the water. I toss in my gloves and use a washcloth to wash my camelback while I'm at it. I also like to take the lens out of my goggles and put them in the water too - washing the sweatband that touches my face and the helmet strap. You could probably dip your helmet in the water, then rinse it out. The pads all come out really clean and smell nice. I think this is more gentle than putting them in the washing machine. I use a folding laundry rack outside to let everything dry on...works great for me!

You must just have a stinky head! :thumbsup: But seriously I use dryer sheets as well, rub them around on it a bit and just keep them in their 'till its ready to use. I like to put a few in the gear bag to keep that from smelling too rotten.

I wash my helmet liner in the sink with Johnson baby shampoo. Smells great!

Take the whole helmet into the shower with you. Pour shampoo in it and wash it out. Let it dry for 24 hours and its ready. All it is is fiberglass, foam, rubber, and cloth.

Yeah I use baby shampoo on both y dirt and road helmet liners. Cleans all the hair oil abd crud out real easy without damaging the foam.

Take the whole helmet into the shower with you. Pour shampoo in it and wash it out. Let it dry for 24 hours and its ready. All it is is fiberglass, foam, rubber, and cloth.

:thumbsup::worthy::busted::blah::D:doh::p:lol:

IMG_6679_thumb1.jpg

I toss my liner in the washing machine with a set of gear, and clean the rest of it with mild soap/water.

I take the pads out and wash them with Woolite in the kitchen sink. Works great!

They also sell a product called Helmet Fresh...it will not harm any of the interior of the helmet...and it smells fresh.

If you get those little fuzz balls on the cloth, you can carefully remove them with a cheap shaving razor.

i just use frebreez

I take the lining out and put them in the washer with the rest of my gear. Then I spray my helmet off with the hose to get all the mud off and I use car wash soap and a sponge to wash the outside off, then I use shampoo on the inside. Smells and looks great!

I have to agree because I have a V-3 also. Man it is super stinky after a day of riding.I'm going to try that spray stuff, but what I usually do is remove the liner and cheek pads and wash them with my gear, then spray simple green inside the shell and wipe it out. Then I use Lysol "Fresh Linen" in the blue can

LG_disinf_spray.jpg