Sign in to follow this  

bleaching a Yellowed gas tank

Is it safe to soak a yellowed plastic gas tank in bleach to get it back to white? Are there any better ways to get it back to white?

thanks

Try scrubbing it with some Ajax first. Cleaned up my tank pretty well. Might have to resort to something like wet sanding though depending on how bad it is.

i tried that on mine and it didnt really help. i thought about trying to soak it in some white dye or something, not sure if it would work either though.

I tried soaking it with ajax and scrubbing it but it did not help much...if at all. If I mess with it any more I may try wet sanding it with some fine grit sand paper. Ill bet that would work.

I've been working on my KLX which has some white and some green plastic. The white is sun faded somewhat yellow, and the green looks good for the most part. The top of the tank has a little yellowing from spilled fuel.

On the white parts, I'm using Wesley's bleach white right now without a lot of success.

I tried sanding yesterday -

with 2000 grit (wet) it takes a long time to make any differrence - even with the sand paper spinning on padded sanding disc in a 2800rpm drill.

Anything more coarse than that leaves fine scratch marks that makes the plastic look dull - why not follow 1200 or 1500 grit with 2000? - then it takes a long time to get the dull look out.

I've also tried Maguiars plastic polish and Honda spray polish - and neither one works very well in this application. Both products tried by hand, and on a buffer with a wool pad and on a black foam pad.

I'd rather polish aluminum than this plastic!

I welcome any suggestions.

------------------------

With that said - I guess I should also say that my plastic isn't in bad shape. If it were, then I would use 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper or 0000 steel wool (which also leaves plastic somewhat dull looking)

I am going for "new plastic" look, on plastic in reasonably good condition to begin with.

Bleach will not help, the yellowing is actually caused by the chemicals in the plastic leaving.

The easiest would be to paint the tank white using a plastic friendly paint like Krylon Fusion.

Here is a link to a step by step process:

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/plastic_restore/

Although that looks like a very nice finish it sounds very time consuming. I may just plan on hitting it with a quick coat of white spray paint once a season. The bike's pretty beat up anyways.

painting on a plastic fuel tank doesn't work because gas fumes permeate the plastic and bubble the paint.

painting on a plastic fuel tank doesn't work because gas fumes permeate the plastic and bubble the paint.

At the bottom of the linked page the writer writes how to prevent this from happening.

I wish they made a tank "skin" like for our helmets. I hate that piss yellow on a clean white bike!!!

I think my wife had a great Idea. She told me just to rub some dirt on it 👍 It would, with out a doubt, look better than it does now

Back in the day, a friend used to put colored duct tape on the tank, and when it started looking poorly, he'd replace it. It looked surprisingly good. I've wondered about a piece of vinyl and a heat gun.

If you find a dye that will work, please let us know.

Wesleys bleach white may have helped my stuff some, but still the sun yellowed areas are still very obvious.

The nice thing about white is it will look good after wet sanding. A colored tank will have a dull look that wont show up on a white tank.

I wish they made a tank "skin" like for our helmets. I hate that piss yellow on a clean white bike!!!

somebody does,i remember seeing a carbon fiber tank skin in either motosports outlet or dennis kirk catalog probly about a yr ago:thumbsup:

Back in the day, a friend used to put colored duct tape on the tank, and when it started looking poorly, he'd replace it. It looked surprisingly good. I've wondered about a piece of vinyl and a heat gun.

Wesleys bleach white may have helped my stuff some, but still the sun yellowed areas are still very obvious.

That sounds like a good idea. I think im going to try that out.

somebody does,i remember seeing a carbon fiber tank skin in either motosports outlet or dennis kirk catalog probly about a yr ago:thumbsup:

I remember them making fabric/elastic back in the 80's for a short time. It actually looked pretty good!! DK doen't have them, but if you find a company that sells one PM or post:excuseme:

I've got a guy that vinyl's for a living. We get all sorts of stuff from him. Just this year my KTM buddy "made" a ktm color themed camo. He also got a brand new acerbis 6+ gallon tank. Even on a fresh, cleaned, treated tank it is now starting to bubble. 80mil premium vinyl was used. The only thing I have seen stick to a tank are the XR stickers on my 89' IMS tank. Nothing stuck until we put a vinyl kit on that was perforrated. I believe this lets the tank still weep or breathe without bubbling or peeling. It's been 6 years since those stickers went on, and no bubbling yet. The seat is a FX seat cover, and wonder if the vinyl for the tank was from them too. The bike is in my garage here. I'd rather have a helmet skin type cover that covers the whole tank and is washable. That would solve the piss yellow look!!! *******update***** we just looked at the piss tank pig, and the yellow has actually pissed through to the white XR letters on the vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!*****************