Sign in to follow this  

Moving to Michigan

Well, this florida boy and his family are relocating to Michigan, my better half and little boy with be there in 3 weeks, I'll be following them up with in the next two months or less.

So, I hear there are a couple OK:jawdrop: places to ride, but more importantly since the weather will be getting colder soon, how much riding time is really left?? Im sure the first winter is going to kick my a__ though.....

I'll check in on the posts to watch whats going on and try to meet up with who ever I can:thumbsup:

What brings you to Michigan? Where are you moving to? We have some nice riding here...and it's actually nice to ride in cool weather because your gear will help keep you warm...plus you won't overheat your bike! There will be a couple months that are tough to ride, but if you really love to ride, then it will be a minimal amount of time though. What kind of bike do you ride...and what kind of riding are you into? Sorry for so many questions...but it'll be great to have another TT'er join us here in MI.

Having grown up in Michigan and then spending 6 years in Florida and now living in Ohio I can tell you that Michigan is great for riding dirt bikes. I go back to Michigan to ride at least once a month, sometimes twice a month from May to October.

There are over 3000 miles of marked trails and lots of MX tracks as well.

Where are you moving to?

I was raised here, spent 1986-1990 in California, Florida and South Carolina, you know, warmer areas. It took over a year to lose my tan lines and if you are as skinny as I was back then, it took years for me to get used to the cold, but the greatest thing about this state is that once you get used to cold, there's really only 25% of the year that you can't ride. Novemeber is included in that, not becasue of the cold, but because I think the trails are closed at that time. SNowmobiles don't make much sense to buy, but you'll get a hell of a lot of use out of a dirt bike, especially if it's plated!!!!

Like Eric said, what brings you to Michigan??????? It sure as hell isn't the booming economy!!!👍 You certainly can find some good deals on a house though, it is a buyers market.

My Last ride last year was just after the November deer season. It was cold, but I was happy to get it in. Never know when the first snow will hit and it's over for the year.

As others have said, only true time the trails are closed is Nov15 - 30th, and I think you can actually still ride for a couple hours mid-day and after dark if you want to.

Seems to me that we typically get one late season ride in late november or early december before the ground freezes or is covered with snow.

There is no end to the riding season. Just 2 weeks at the end of November that we cant ride because of riffle deer season.

Some of us ride year round!

Oh and I echo others opinion of Michigan. Great offroad riding oportunities but why the hell would anyone choose to move here. The economey sucks!

P1010205.jpg

P1010208.jpg

1.jpg

P2190089.jpg

Yzman, holy sheeoottt, thats just not right. Although I'll try anything once.!!

Ok, let me try to get all the answers out here.

My much better half is from the Livonia area, as well as 95 % of her family, on top of that she is down to her last year to finish her bachelors, which turned out to be a giant hassle getting her last two, very specific courses to match up with something down here.

The economy around here, with the exception of being an engineer has died, it was driven by the residential housing explosion, for the last eight years or more, which has subsequently imploded. We both worked for the same builder, I got laid off last september and have been trying to find something solid since. Not to say I can find that up there, but she is getting a ton of positive feed back in the job market up there, maybe I can be a stay at home dad!! J/K. Theres actually quite a few jobs up there compared to here right now, Im working that out right now.

Now, on to the fun shit.

I have a 04' crf450, I've been trying to sell it for six months. I ride mainly MX, due to the fact that riding trails here is pretty boring and flat honestly, and the decent ones are about 3 hours away. I usually do one harescramble a year, which is fun, but I prefer MX to bouncing off trees.

I checked out the tracks last night, I cant wait to ride as many as I can. Theres a few within 2 hours of where we are going to be, I've got six people from Florida coming up already for Red Bud next year!!

Basically, if it involves being able to ride, I'm in:thumbsup:

One more thing, all my gear is vented and I dont even own a jacket.

There are also a few indoor places to ride also if it gets to cold. If you are going to be in Livonia there are a few outdoor tracks close to you also.1 in Jackson,a couple around Milan area but the majority of trails will be atleast 2 hours away. Good luck finding work though in your field. I run roofing company and really have a small crew anymore, used to all new construction about 2-3 houses a week depending on size ,now its like 2-3 new cons a month if we are lucky. Good thing when they where building house for the past 20 years they used cheap shinlges and built most homes 8 pitch or better so most homeowners wont climb up there,so recovers and tear offs are it right now. Anyways good luck and when u get here look up(MIDIRTRIDERS.COM) good bunch of peps there with lots of info on places to ride!!!

i haven't ridden in other states, but i seem to find new places to ride all over here in Michigan. 300+ miles of dirt roads, atv trails and the black mtn rec area for me this past weekend.

Im getting some pretty good feed back on the job front, now I just have to figure out when I can get the hell out of here, we have two hurricanes lining up on us right now, and we just missed getting hit by a tropical storm with 60mph winds, so I need to wait and see what they do. Cool thing is my better half and my little boy just left this evening for Michigan so at least I know they will be outta here if we get smacked by a storm.

Hopefully I can get up there soon, I need a mx fix, everything is flooded down here....