Sign in to follow this  

does anyone know a way to find out what is...

does anyone know a way to find out what is alluminum on the bike? or can anyone tell me? i need to know if the triple clamps are, the rims the hubs and the c/s sprocket holder, levers, master cylinder resivoir caps, brake clevis, axel blocks, shift lever, (foot) brake lever, and i know the head cover, and left crankcase cover are magnesium so im gonna do those too......and if you havn't figure it out yet i plan on aannodizing pretty much all of the stuff i mentioned (hopefully) and maby more.....should look pretty trick when im done...ill have a new thread with before and after...+ the proccess

Aluminium is a non-ferrous metal, so a magnet will not stick to it. You could try that for a start 👍

• Like 1

i didn't even think off that....you get gas.....but what if its a other non ferrous metal? the main metals on these bikes are alluminum, magnesium and steel right?

does anyone know a way to find out what is alluminum on the bike? or can anyone tell me? i need to know if the triple clamps are, the rims the hubs and the c/s sprocket holder, levers, master cylinder resivoir caps, brake clevis, axel blocks, shift lever, (foot) brake lever, and i know the head cover, and left crankcase cover are magnesium so im gonna do those too......and if you havn't figure it out yet i plan on aannodizing pretty much all of the stuff i mentioned (hopefully) and maby more.....should look pretty trick when im done...ill have a new thread with before and after...+ the proccess

Triple clamps = yes

rims = yes

Hubs = yes

c/s sprocket holder = I don't know what you are referring to here.

Levers = yes

master cylinder cap cover = yes

axel blocks = yes

shift lever = yes. but not the part you push with your foot

brake lever = yes, but not the part you push with your foot

With all that, many of these parts will not look very good anodized. When you see after market parts that are anodized and nice an shinny, they are polished before they anodize them to get that shine. Triple clamps for example have a rough casting and for those to look good you would need to sand it down smooth and polish it first. Not sure you want to go to all the extra work for that.

• Like 1

Polishing a part that is already smooth doesn't take to much time, depending on how good you want it to look, but he parts that have a rough casting will take many hours because they have to be sanded down smooth.

Hubs and some of the other parts are a lower quality aluminum then the rims and if anodized will look blotchy and ugly. Rims, engine plugs, and levers will be fine to anodize.

well it looks like my list so far will be levers, master cylinder caps, engine plugs, and axel blocks.....i want to do the brake clevis....but noone said if it was allum? and by the c/s sprocket holder im talking about the circle the holds on the front sproclet or drive sprocket.................and it looks like i might be doing the rims....but that will be a long proccess, lots of die, and lots of down time, that might be for the winter.....ill look into doing the tripples, but once again lots of down time....= winter

I was going to sand down and polish my triple clamps. After i did the bottom one a said 👍 IT and just put them back on. It's a lot of work to sand those things down. I started with 320 grit and worked my way down to either a 600 or 800 grit.