Sign in to follow this  

Edelbrock - XR650R. Hard starting

Edelbrock owners

I just bought a new Edelbrock off ebay and Im attempting to dial it in.

My bike wont start easily, so i thought it was lean.

Ive put in the 21 size needle and brought it to 15turns from rich. it backfires like a gunshot while trying to start. richened to 8turns and its very hard to start.

Even with the 19 needle and 15 turns out it wouldn't start at all.

My altitude is sea level to 2000ft

staintune full system (large headers)

decorked.

When i did managed to start it, the idle sounded very different to the stock carb. Like it was gurbling or something, like it was flooding. but it idled and revved fine.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mine started easily right out of the box, I wound up at 6 clicks out from as delivered. Mine starts 2nd kick almost everytime. Have you checked your valve adjustment lately?

By "turns", I assume you mean clicks(?) & from "rich" I assume you mean full right (which is full rich)

My guess is that the 19e needle is the one you want to run. Kinda weird you got it to fire with the 21 - my bikes set-up is not much different than yours (uncorked, headers/muffler & cut airbox) & the 21's just way too rich to run.

Edelbrock's suggestion of 18 clicks out is probably a pretty good guess as to where you want to start/be IMO. I'm @ 3800'+ & run the 19 @ 20 clicks in the summer heat of the high desert & richen it up a click or 2 during the winter. The guys in SoCal @ ~1000' +/- seem to run somewhere around 14-16 clicks. In Calif., we get different pump fuel blends in the winter (oxygenated) & summer to "help" with emmissions, the carb seems sensitive to this & requires a change every season - so "your ckicks will vary" depending on what fuel you get down under.

Double check your idle speed adjustment, they seem really picky about this setting on initial fire up. Should be 3-3.5 turns from when the adjuster just starts to contact the throttle wheel. I had a really hard time getting my PIG to fire when I 1st put the Eddy on - pretty sure it was this adjustment that was wack in my case. I'd could suggest checking you float level as well, mine was off, but I'm pretty sure the slide adjustment was the cause for the hard starting. ~ It's been a 1 kick wonder ever since the initial set up process.

Crank the idle adjustment way in; when it starts you can adjust it back.

20-25 clicks 'clockwise from full lean' has always worked for me.

Air boot must not leak on either side.

Accelerator pump seal/piston must be new and fresh.

Accerator pump must not be too rich (clockwise). If in doubt, turn it counter clockwise 1/2 a turn. You can always turn it back once it starts.

suprisingly, the symptoms i am having of hard starting and the sound it makes at idle reminds me of closed valve inlets like i had on my DRZ...

but it was running fine a few weeks ago with the stock carb.

I guess ill check the valves & put the 19 needle back in at the same time.

I'll let you guys know how i go tonight!

cheers.

cant start it at all now. put the 19 in.

wont even fire.

so im going to check the valves. I tried backing off the acc pump screw as well. the needle is at 18 turns out.

could it be the float?

Your are opening the throttle a few times prior to kicking it, right? That's how these prime. Then no throttle when kicking.

It's a pumper, so be sure your accelerator pump is working

yep ive owned a few pumpers before. i am priming.

checked the valves, they are perfect.

Sparkplug carbon fouled maybe? That'll certainly make it shoot ducks.

& the slide (idle speed) is open how far?

1/16-1/8 is all it should be open (cable roughly 3-3.5 turns after touching)

I'd start from square 1 - put the accel pump back where it's supposed to be. Verify the idle speed adjustment. Verify your click count (from full rich).

Verify your pump is primed. Kick it over 10 times with the comp release pulled to clear the cyl., bring it to TDC, give it 2 quick shots on the throttle & KICK it.

Ought to fire, or at least cough & sputter - especially since you say you had it running with the 21 in it

Descal,

I had it to 3.5 turns as you suggested after touching.

I've moved the acc pump screw from 1.5 to 2.5 and back. Ive used a click count of 18, and wound it richer and leaner. No difference.

Ive also done the clear cyl technique of decomp and 10 kicks, then the squirt of the throttle.

Not even a burble.

Ive pulled the float plug and fuel is getting to the float.

omg... cannot believe the cause of my issues.

that little plug running along the main frame backbone, goes into the ignition coil... came unplugged somehow. bike now runs absolutely perfectly and the edelbrock is a dream.

THANK YOU ALL !