Need Info On Hot Cams

i have a 2001 yz250f. my bike is very hard to kick so i'm lookin for something to make it easier. i'm looking at buying some of those hot cams with the auto decompression built in but i need to know some things about them. will these help? anyone tried this? is it worth the money? i also need to know the difference between intake and exhaust cams. which should i get?

Hotcams come with the same auto decomp as the one yamaha uses. so it works just like a stock one does

you have a 01 so you use manual decompression. it will help alot.

intake will give you more of a power increase

exhaust is what has the auto decomp and is what you want.

they are worth there money, and I would suspect much more if you didn't have auto decomp already

We did the Stage 1 HotCams exhaust cam only on our '02 bike and left the decomp lever and mechanism in place. It works great. HotCams has a great warranty to beat none. Ours stuck open, the flyweight stayed out, and they replaced it for free. Great company to work with and replacement came quickly. The Stage 1 is more for torque and provides more power from 5,000 to 10,000 than stock when using the intake and exhaust cams together. The stage 2 is all up top from 10,000 to 13,000. You can also use a stock '03 to '05 exhaust cam, if you can find one. They are scarce as people use them to upgrade WRs as well. As far as which you should get, for the decomp feature and keeping cost down, just go with exhaust cam. For the full effect, you would need both cams as the intake will have more of an impact on power level output. You will need to check the valve clearance after install. Good luck, its a great upgrade.

I have an 2001 YZ250F and it starts great on the first kick. Sometimes after I haul it out to the trail or track I have to kick it 3 or 4 times but it fires right up. I just use the manual decompression valve and give her 1 solid kick and it fires right up. I dont even choke it usually.

I have an 2001 YZ250F and it starts great on the first kick. Sometimes after I haul it out to the trail or track I have to kick it 3 or 4 times but it fires right up. I just use the manual decompression valve and give her 1 solid kick and it fires right up. I dont even choke it usually.

well get the cam and u wont have to worry about the manual decompression lol easy fix for a max cost of 120.00 ?:worthy: