Sign in to follow this  

2008 CRF 250R Clutch problems

Hey have any of you guys had clutch problems? My son has managed to burn out 4 clutches (plates, springs)since March. He says it's nothing he is doing and it seems to be adjusted ok.

we had same prob, change oil often and we also put on a hinson clutch cover holds more oil helps keep clutch cooler.

I havent had any problems with my clutch. Your son is talkin crazy yo.

I am using Rotella T 15w40, oil changed every ride in engine/trans. I have 81.4 Hard hours on my bike (on the meter). The clutch is used hard as well at times. ie. full pinned [limiter] and clutching though a corner. No problems with it 👍

if you have 81hrs. on a clutch your not riding as hard as you think. I would say your basket would also be waisted by now.

look at it this way, I have seen clutches out of a intermediate races bike -- I do motor work on it, top ends, cranks, etc., and they are still fine, and have just as many hrs or more than mine.

I am not at that level, but my bike does see a lot of rev limit and clutch action at times. -- not to mention when you are in the tight trails and you are clutching it in first gear to keep proper control of the bike., that's gotta build up a lot of heat 👍

--- If you are burning up clutches, there may be a faulty part inside that is causing them to wear excessively. Or you are clutchin' the thing way too much, drop down to 2nd gear instead of trying to keep it in 3rd, you'll probably be faster.

Its probably that crap you are using for oil... Go grab some pro-honda oils... the stuff that is made for these bikes. 👍

Hey, my motor/clutch is fine with the Rotella. And it is not crap, it is a very good oil. I personally trust it more than some m/c oils out there.

And the original person that started the thread has not stated what oil he uses 👍

i swear to god .. i hear people say rotella is crap .. use pro honda.. on vise versa.. whats the story!

Rotella it isn't crap. I have been in my motor fairly frequently for piston maintenance and valve train checking and there is no ab normal wear. It all looks mint inside. Cam, rocker, rocker shaft, buckets, crank, etc. Clutch is still great...

I have completely rebuilt a few CRF250R motors, new cranks and such. They were running GN4 honda oil. Heck, when a motor completely runs out of oil, there are still parts that are still useable. This one motor had the drain plug loose. The valve buckets were still fine, and the rocker/shaft could have been used again, but it was replaced, the cam was still mint. -- and there wasn't a drop of oil left to come out of the bottom of the motor from the drain plug hole...

It really isn't the type of oil, but keeping fresh oil in the motor and trans. Make sure it is a good 15w40 diesel oil or a 10w40 non synthetic m/c oil.

honestly i just use hp4 10w-40. ive used it in both sides since i bought my bike. there is nothing wrong with using shell rotella motor oil. you can use any oil that meets the required oil recommendations in the owners manual.

- this is straight out of my 07 manual

API classification - SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label.

Viscosity - SAE 10w-30.

JASO T 903 - MA

SUggested oil - pro honda gn4 4-stroke oil or an equivalent. (I wouldnt use Gn4)

if your oils meet this recommendation then by all means run them and no worries.

------As for the original issue . . . have you checked the free-play and adjusted the clutch lever to spec? i know clutches will wear fast when there isnt enough free-play in the lever.

Make sure it is a good 15w40 diesel oil or a 10w40 non synthetic m/c oil./QUOTE]

Whats wrong with synthetic? ive been using synthetic on mine basically for the whole life of the bike, and my bike is in perfect running order. It was actually recomended to me by a professional who makes custom bikes and who is an aircraft engineer. He said as long as ur clutch isnt slipping because of the oil to go for the synthetic, its not that expensive in bulk too.

I guess there isn't anything really wrong with synthetic except for that it may not be that great for ring seal. And the added cost.

Use whatever you want, just make sure you change it often. -- After every ride/ 1 to 2 hrs/ one tank of gas. Oil filters every 10 hrs. If you are in the financial position to purchase synthetic and still be able to change it as often as is needed, go a head.

How do we keep getting into this. Just keep the oil and filter changed.

And how the hell do the Quotes come in shaded and some don't when you repley.