Sign in to follow this  

05 plated 05 ktm exc or crf450x

I found each of these locally already plated,I already own a couple hondas mxers but would someone with more dualsport experience than me give me some pros and cons of each if possible. Ready to get one asap since I hardly ever ride anymore.It is such an ordeal to load up the trailer hitch it ect.pay to ride somewhere.

My buddy wants to dualsport his kdx200,seems like all the parts are readly available,but what to do about no cert of origin when bike was purchased used, how can this bike be titled and tagged.

Can't comment about the KTM but here is what I know about my 05' plated CRF450X:

The Good:

• Awesome off-road bike with plenty of power.
  • Good stock suspension for off-road
  • Lots of aftermarket parts and accessories available.
  • Honda reliability despite what you may have heard about the valves.

The Bad:

• I don't think there is a good compromise gearing for both high speed street and tight single track
  • Even geared high, it is not a bike that you want to go long distance on the pavement (vibrates, firm seat, etc.).
  • Like any off-road bike intended for racing, requires close maintenance intervals to insure longevity.
  • Hard to keep the front wheel from rising off the pavement 👍

I'd go with the KTM the 6 speed transmission is awsome and the KTM is way easier to work on. In our group the Hondas have been way more trouble.

went from a klx250 that i bought new in 07... put 12k plus in less then a year... sold that a few months ago and bought an 03klx 400 with the big bore, 440. That bike is a blast, i love it. I still would love to have a ktm though...

They are super easy to work on. Guy on a trail though he had something in one of his jets. had the jet out in less then 3 minuets and was starting to put it all back. it was ridiculous. I guess the tank and shrouds come off with like three bolts and you can just tilt the carb to the side, no need to take it out.

but it really just comes down to this... how much street riding and how much dirt riding will you be doing?

I'm probably 75 street and 25 off road. so i wish i had gotten a ktm 525 or something thats alittle better for the street but still good for that short cut thru the woods. the klx 440 is better then the 250 for sure, but it lacks a 6th gear. biggest down fall overall i think.

6 speed gives a no compromise gearing spread. The 5 speed means your geared for the road or the woods. Not both. Two filters to change on the KTM oil. No shim valve adjustments are great.

I am almost convinced to buy the ktm, 6sp and dirtbike mag says most longlasting durable of all the performance 4strokes,the dualsport tour guy sort of makes me want a crf 450x though sounds like he`s had good luck with them. My riding will be no more than 15 percent street thats why I am choosing between these bikes,the more I read though the more I want to try a te husky.

I'm more than pleased with my DS'ed 05 450 EXC. The RFS engine is bullet proof.

I had a 06 WR450 that was fun but felt much heavier.

Never owned a CRFx.

Did own a CRF450F that was more of a handfull

In my area the KTM's are everywhere.

If PA permitted tagging of 2-strokes I'd plate my 300 for sure.

Have you ever thought about one of these? I've got 4000 miles on mine since April with allot of 200+ mile a day dual sport rides.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

My riding will be no more than 15 percent street thats why I am choosing between these bikes,the more I read though the more I want to try a te husky.

15% Street is what you say now... Wait till you get the hooligan factor in there:thumbsup: way to much fun! I just can't leave my bike in the garage. 👍