Sign in to follow this  

Difference between Jap imports and U.S model?

anyone knows the diff between the u.s DRZ SM model compared to the jap import? i see different blinkers on the jap model and a nicer tail light unlike the box shaped u.s version. is there any difference in the engine itself? heard rumors that the mag coils produce different voltage output between the 2 models..

http://www1.suzuki.co.jp/motor/dr-z400sm/3d.html

The jap imports comes with

- Smaller headlight, like those on the E models.

- round blinkers

- a enigne cover at the left side of the bike.

- lower seat height (seat is thinner)

- rear cush drive

And the headlight beam will kick up to the right, as the Japanese drive on the right hand side of the road.

They drive on the left hand side of the road.

And the headlight beam will kick up to the right, as the Japanese drive on the right hand side of the road.

You sure? All the Jap Import car that come into the UK are right hand drive. Skylines, RX8s, SX2000s, etc, etc,

You sure? All the Jap Import car that come into the UK are right hand drive. Skylines, RX8s, SX2000s, etc, etc,

hence the driver being on the right side of the car:prof: All islands (except a few in the carribean) that I can think of drive on the left and therefore have righthand drive cars.

👍 No you're dead right, Im getting my sit on right drive on the left mixed up! Who knows how I get to work every day! :worthy:

Wow...

Mine does indeed look like it has a cush drive..... Never noticed that actually...

Bought mine 2nd hand about 2 months back. Seems to go ok. So, I'll be waiting to see what comes out of this thread... Different ecu or certain restriction etc...

Wow...

Mine does indeed look like it has a cush drive..... Never noticed that actually...

Bought mine 2nd hand about 2 months back. Seems to go ok. So, I'll be waiting to see what comes out of this thread... Different ecu or certain restriction etc...

do you have close up pics of the rear wheel hub? could you take a pic or 2 near the rear sprocket so we could study it 👍 hehehe

i guess the surest way to tell is by the manual, if it's in japanese and has no other language, it's most prolly a drz made for the jap market.

daaaaamned, looks like u bought the drz made for the japan market. smaller headlights, lego looking side blinkers and cush drive. i have more pics and details at http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4607957#post4607957 oh and you have to register, log in to view pics 👍

the singapore agent/ distributor sells drzs meant for the eu/ aus market. some other dealers bring in the drzs meant for the japan market.

The guy I bought it off, told me he brought the bike into the country himself, so I knew it was a Jap spec bike...

The local bikes also have the PAIR valve and solenoid on the carb, so apart from the other things, it doesn't appear too different...

The guy I bought it off, told me he brought the bike into the country himself, so I knew it was a Jap spec bike...

The local bikes also have the PAIR valve and solenoid on the carb, so apart from the other things, it doesn't appear too different...

Its recommended to remove/block off the PAIR valve if running an aftermarket higher flow exhaust. That will reduce popping /backfire on decel

is there any easy way to get Japan or even Euro spec parts? I would love to have a cush drive for the rear wheel plus that cool tailight assembly, if we got a bunch of us together, couldn't we atleast get that tailight, I have e-mailed a few UK dealerships but never got any responses, there has to eb someone with an overseas contact, if you have a source, you can PM me or just respond to the forum...thanks:worthy:

the euro bikes are almost the same as the u.s ones. it's the jap drzs which have some extra stuff..

ie. this stock engine guard on the left side

PB042055.jpg

Funny that... I've pulled my cover off. I like the engine look as opposed to the cover, lol...

it's there for a reason, helps to deter kids from adjusting your idling screw and messing up the whole damned setting 👍