Sign in to follow this  

Meadow Valley.

I'm gonna head out there again this weekend... saturday.

Love to go Max, but...

I have to head up to Brainerd to build a deck for my Mom over Laborious Day.

I am also ready to throw my suspension away...

Not really, but I have to spring / valve it to my weight, not for 110 👍 pound rider...

I thought about going back to to Powerband for a re-re-valve, but his numbers are so far off the norm, I think I'd be better off going somewhere else...(???)

Not really, but I have to spring / valve it to my weight, not for 110 👍 pound rider...

I thought about going back to to Powerband for a re-re-valve, but his numbers are so far off the norm, I think I'd be better off going somewhere else...(???)

Yeah, I bet that thing bottomed even more after those (delicious) burgers!

Mmmmm...bur-gers...

Any idea on how many miles that return trip was to my house?

Yeah, I bet that thing bottomed even more after those (delicious) burgers!Mmmmm...bur-gers...

I was burping up those burgers into Monday Matt...:worthy: (read as "burp...burp...burp...")

Any idea on how many miles that return trip was to my house?

I (think?) just over 80...I think...👍

HAHA. Yeah. Get that suspension fixed!! I have never heard of powerband...

HAHA. Yeah. Get that suspension fixed!! I have never heard of powerband...

http://www.powerbandracing.com/

He WAS recommended to me...

>> Thing is, suspension IS such a personal thing.

Pro Action did my WR 400 forks back in 2001 when I attended the Buds Creek MX National. I requested valving for woods riding. What I got was hard core MX forks. They obliterated my fore arms to a pulp when I was riding in Moab, Utah...

Factory Connection did two of my bikes, and I was VERY HAPPY w/ their work >> first attempt both times.

I am also ready to throw my suspension away...

Kevin,

I've never used him (heh, I've been backyard wrenching my own), but I've always heard good things about Billy at Powerband... and those "good things" I've heard were from some of the top D23 riders...

If I'm remembering right, you had just gotten your suspension done before I saw you at the sandbox last winter? And I'm thinking you were saying it was pretty soft back then... Is this the same setup? Wondering if you ever talked to Billy about it?

If I'm remembering right, you had just gotten your suspension done before I saw you at the sandbox last winter? And I'm thinking you were saying it was pretty soft back then... Is this the same setup? Wondering if you ever talked to Billy about it?

Sandbox WAS the first time I tried it.

As delivered rider sag was 6.5 ".

I reduced that to 3.5", then the shock was completely topped out for free sag. I reduced preload to achieve 0.5" sag, and rider sag was ~ 5". I cranked in more preload to ~ 0.25" free sag, and had ~ 4" rider sag.

Charlie, the thing that concerns me is his recommended rear spring rate is 4.4, front .44. Stock is 5.6 and 0.56. The suspension sites I checked all recommended going stiffer on the springs for my weight. I did talk to Factory Connection and MX-Tech personally and both were shocked at the light spring rate.

I was wondering if he valved it stiffer w/ a reduced spring rate(?)

This is all fine and dandy, however my forks start working halfway through their stroke, w/ the spring being so light. Even w/ the fork bottles, the little chatter was killing my wrists. I rode Matt's identical 450. His forks are sprung w/ 0.59's. They were definitely stiffer, rode higher up in the travel AND had a much plusher ride off the top.

Should I call Billy(?) >> it is foolish not to I suppose. I just don't want to fork over another :worthy: $650.00 👍 to repair a (improper) setup.

Sandbox WAS the first time I tried it.

As delivered rider sag was 6.5 ".

I reduced that to 3.5", then the shock was completely topped out for free sag. I reduced preload to achieve 0.5" sag, and rider sag was ~ 5". I cranked in more preload to ~ 0.25" free sag, and had ~ 4" rider sag.

Charlie, the thing that concerns me is his recommended rear spring rate is 4.4, front .44. Stock is 5.6 and 0.56. The suspension sites I checked all recommended going stiffer on the springs for my weight. I did talk to Factory Connection and MX-Tech personally and both were shocked at the light spring rate.

I was wondering if he valved it stiffer w/ a reduced spring rate(?)

This is all fine and dandy, however my forks start working halfway through their stroke, w/ the spring being so light. Even w/ the fork bottles, the little chatter was killing my wrists. I rode Matt's identical 450. His forks are sprung w/ 0.59's. They were definitely stiffer, rode higher up in the travel AND had a much plusher ride off the top.

Should I call Billy(?) >> it is foolish not to I suppose. I just don't want to fork over another :busted: $650.00 👍 to repair a (improper) setup.

If I was in your shoes... (glad I'm not) I'd definetly talk to him. I'd pretty much tell him everything you just said here. "They say" (who is they?) that the best suspension guys work with you to get your bike the way you want it... I'd be asking him why he recomended those springs, when everyone else recomends much stiffer.

I'd be looking at it as already having paid for work that I'm not even close to happy with... I paid once, I'm not paying again. I'd expect him to make it right, make the bike feel good to me. Part of me thinks that he would expect it too. Would I get it? Don't know... But if he worked with me, I'd be more excited about going back again... And that makes everyone happy :worthy:

heh No, I don't have the bike back together yet... I mean... it SHOULD take about an hour and a half to slap the parts all back in but... Been working way too many hours.

Was going to have it done FOR SURE, this past weekend... But the injection pump went out on a work truck, so I've been working on that since friday. Funny how many things you can find that need fixing when ya start looking. I shoulda just slapped the pump back in with my eyes closed 👍