Sign in to follow this  

Barstow/Bell Mtn/Stoddard Wells Rd Closures.......?

So I used to camp off of Dale Evans and back in 2006 I had my 40th Birthday out there. 120+ people. Well anyway, the locals told me that it was closed due to private property now. They told me to leave or the local police will site all of us and force us out. Well, the party went well and we didn't get booted out. Not been back since. Now I don't see anybody even parking off the raod next to the freeway.

I plan on having a large group October 10th on Bell Mtn/Stadard Wells road and was wondering if that is closed also?. Heard some stories but not sure what's true or not. I usually go back to the large clearing, past the Grange Race Track turn to set up camp.

Anybody know of any land closures in that area? Just judging by all the "Land For Sale" sings along the way, looks like the public will be buying the land and keeping us out.

Not the best place to ride, but great for some short trips that could help on fuel cost.

You just have to drive into the open area. If you stage/camp outside the open area you will get hassled by the man and/or ticketed. Just go those few extra miles into the open area or just go a little farther on the 15 to Hodge.

I plan on having a large group October 10th on Bell Mtn/Stadard Wells road and was wondering if that is closed also?. Heard some stories but not sure what's true or not. I usually go back to the large clearing, past the Grange Race Track turn to set up camp.

Anybody know of any land closures in that area? Just judging by all the "Land For Sale" sings along the way, looks like the public will be buying the land and keeping us out.

Not the best place to ride, but great for some short trips that could help on fuel cost.

When we ride in that area that's where we stage from. Just go past the Race Track to the open area and you'll be fine.

When we ride in that area that's where we stage from. Just go past the Race Track to the open area and you'll be fine.

So staging is ok in the open area? what about riding on the trails? Any closures in that aspect?

At best that area is a grey area. The area off Stoddard Wells exit (Bell Mtn) has been closed for years and is a quick bust. The area off Dale Evans is the same now. If you go to SW road and go back in further there are legal staging areas........at least for now. Trails.....that far south/west, there are a lot of grey areas. The "official" stoddard riding area is to the N more. N of wildwash and up towards Barstow.

Some clarification, though, on the Stoddard Wells off ramp. There are two of them with the second being the "Stoddard Wells / Bell Mountain" exit, further north on the 15 closer to the outlet malls.

If you follow this road into the OHV area (past the very, very bumpy "paved" road), this is all still open & legal riding area. We take this road to the Lucerne Valley cutoff, turn right for a few hundred yards and set up camp. This area was open as late as last year, and even patrolled by the local sheriff's department on ATV.

Haven't heard anything other than business-as-usual here.

I went out off of stoddard wells road earlier this year and it says no ohv right on the off ramp but if you continue to travel onto the dirt road, for some reason 8 miles rings a bell to me, you will see the sign telling you that you are entering the OHV area.. you will travel down the dirt road passing scattered residences with people looking at you like you don't belong there... ignore them...:lame:

The sign is actually in the wrong place, but from what I have seen, there are no hassles if you stage after the sign. I believe that BLM is using LImited Use Area rules in that location. The actual Open Area doesn't start until you get to Lucerne Valley cutoff. Anything North of that point is Open Area.

So staging is ok in the open area? what about riding on the trails? Any closures in that aspect?

Not as far as I am concerned. :eek::lame::bonk:🤣

The sign is actually in the wrong place, but from what I have seen, there are no hassles if you stage after the sign. I believe that BLM is using LImited Use Area rules in that location. The actual Open Area doesn't start until you get to Lucerne Valley cutoff. Anything North of that point is Open Area.

I have always wondered why that sign was there. I have been staging down the road from where Grange is for years. I thought maybe the area was the "NO" OHV area.......then again I aint too smart.