Sign in to follow this  

IMS Petcock Leak Repair

I bought a used 4.2 gal IMS tank yesterday. I did not come with the IMS petcock gasket and my attempt to seal it with just the petcock oval ring was not sucessful.

My repair was to cut a HD MC inner-tube to fit - so far so good - no leaks. I have a piece of inner-tube soaking in gasoline to see its resistance to petrol, seems ok after sereral hours.

Think this will last?👍

TIA

i wouldn't play around with a potential gas leak.

call ims. they will have what you need. i purchased a used ims tank & it needed the cap seal. ims had it to me pretty quick.

they do have a minimum order, so you will need to order a few, or some other parts.

I bought a used 4.2 gal IMS tank yesterday. I did not come with the IMS petcock gasket and my attempt to seal it with just the petcock oval ring was not sucessful.

My repair was to cut a HD MC inner-tube to fit - so far so good - no leaks. I have a piece of inner-tube soaking in gasoline to see its resistance to petrol, seems ok after sereral hours.

Think this will last?👍

TIA

Here is a repair that is still woking to this day. Drove 22 hours to Idaho to ride, put the tank and petcock on the IMS the night before I left, did not fill with gas.

In Idaho started to fill and gas went everywhere. Went into the marina and got some gasket material (looks like a very thin cork board and is gas compatible). Longest process was cutting the gasket and holes with a pocket knife.

I have since bought the correct gasket from IMS but have not installed it (2 years).