Sign in to follow this  

Radiator plug temperature sensor

I got the trail tech vapor with the temperature sensor that you cut the radiator hose in half and put in between. Anyone use sensor that plugs in to the radiator directly? I saw it for the touratech enduro computer. Would this work with the vapor too?

Click the pic to go to that webpage.

CRF-IMO100R300-temp.jpg

EDIT:

I see here that trail tech has oil temperature sensor adaptors, and it looks like the temp sensor threads inside those. They have a 16mm adaptor, which is the size of the radiator plug. Any reason I could not use that oil temp adapter in my radiator?

3 reasons I wouldn't put the temp sensor there:

1. heat from the header can melt the pvc sheathing on the wires.

2. Also, the sensor is a thermocouple. Changes in temperature varies the voltage being sent back to the computer. The heat from the header can preheat the incoming wire to the sensor and skew your readings. Heat in the wire is interpreted as electrical resistance. No accuracy in other words.

3. You won't be measuring the max temp, only what the "cooled down" temp is. I think it's more important to see what the max temp is where they tell you to cut the hose because that really is where the max temp is.

I set my warning light to come on at 215 deg and my danger light at 240 deg. At 215, that's my signal to ride faster and get some airflow over the radiators. At 240, same thing or I shut down and take a break for a while. Once you shut down and the fluid stops moving, the temp will go up since it's sitting still inside that hot engine. So if you shut it down, don't be surprised if you see them temp climb up to 260 deg. Let her cool for a while in the shade.

Once you hit 250 you're at the point where the water will boil and you'll let off steam. Steam is water so now you've changed the ratio of coolant to water. I can't tell you how many people have boiled their bikes over repeatedly to the point where they boiled off the water and were left with nothing but (or close to nothing but) coolant. Then they wonder why they keep boiling over so easily and repeatedly. Coolant by itself sucks at removing heat. You gotta replace the water when you do that. So I make a point of speeding up if possible or shutting down if not when I hit the 240 mark. Putting the temp sensor at the rad plug will NEVER tell you what your max temp is.

Also, I used the max temp reading from the Vapor as a carb tuning tool. Just don't mistake putting a super fat jet in the carb as a way to keep the engine cool. Chances are it'll be so wet that your bike will run like crap and you'll be fouling plugs. Over heating can be attributed to so many other things and bigger jets are not the answer.

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought those red anodized plugs looked good, and it would be easier to install. I'd rather have the max temp reading though. Doesn't the header go right around the hose though? doesn't that affect the reading?

Ah, I forgot which way the water flowed. I'm not near my bike right now, as I am at work.