Just got this e-mail from WA DNR

Help DNR chart a course for recreation in Washington

The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will be looking to user groups and individuals to help create a new vision for recreation on DNR-managed forestlands, aquatic lands and natural areas. Throughout the month of September, DNR will host nine workshops across the state to gather input from interested citizens.

We invite you to come share your thoughts on the direction of recreation in Washington. Where do you recreate? What kinds of recreation activities do you enjoy? How easily can you access recreation on state-managed lands? Drop by various topic stations at one of the workshops, talk to staff and provide your thoughts on these and other questions.

DNR will bring your answers to these and other questions to the newly formed Sustainable Recreation Work Group. This group was established by the 2008 Legislature to assist DNR in developing a long-term vision that ensures safe, sustainable, and enjoyable outdoor recreation on DNR-managed land.

Meeting dates and locations (All meetings are from 6 to 9 p.m.):

· September 9 – King County Library Service Center, Issaquah (Kick-off meeting)

· September 10 – Omak Community Library, Omak

· September 10 – Longhouse Educational and Cultural Center, The Evergreen State College, Olympia

· September 11 – Deer Park Library, Deer Park

· September 15 – Hoquiam Library, Hoquiam

· September 15 – Vancouver Water Resources Education Center, Vancouver

· September 16 – Port Angeles Library, Port Angeles

· September 16 – Burlington Library, Burlington

· September 17 – Grupe Conference Center, Central Washington University, Ellensburg

Why this new focus on recreation?

The last time the state officially addressed recreation issues on DNR-managed lands was 37 years ago with the passage of the Multiple Use Act in 1971. This act is based on the concept of state lands being available for multiple uses where appropriate, including various types of recreation. Since then, the face of recreation has changed significantly beyond what anyone envisioned. New forms of recreation have come on the scene including paragliding, mountain biking and paintball. Motorized off-road vehicle use has more than doubled in the state in the last 10 years. And, the overall volume of visitors to state lands has grown dramatically.

The Multiple Use Act still provides a solid foundation for recreation in Washington. Your input will help identify ways to better take into account the changing nature of recreation, pressures from a growing population, and the need to ensure the environmental health of DNR-managed lands.

Look for future e-mail messages with more information about the Sustainable Recreation Work Group, including a Web page address. In the meantime, if you’d like directions to any of the workshops, call Jana Greer at 360-902-1730 or send an e-mail to jana.greer@dnr.wa.gov.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the post.

First I've seen on this.

I've been out of town a few days enjoying the Indy Car races in Sonoma CA, but there is nothing in my mail or email concerning this. Hopefully shutting the NMA and WOHVA out of the process is not part of the plan.

These meetings are driven by legislation past last year. We need to be involve with this because this committee is stacked against us in a big way. Lots of governmental folks, plenty of nonmotorized recreationalists and almost zero motorized offroad recreationalists.

Their findings and plan will be ugly if we don't get very involved.:worthy:

More on this later - I'm toast - Ya think bikes are loud, try 26 IndyCars.

Even with hearing protection, not only my ears, but my brain is numb ?

Thanks Tod - I'd like to know more about this group -

"the newly formed Sustainable Recreation Work Group. This group was established by the 2008 Legislature to assist DNR in developing a long-term vision that ensures safe, sustainable, and enjoyable outdoor recreation on DNR-managed land."

...Why this new focus on recreation?...

So they can figure out what trails to take away. Reminds me of work, when there is a plan where you "could" make more money, the end result is you make less. I suspect the whole idea is to take riding habitat. In fact, look at all the areas where the meeting are. Those are all in areas with little or no motorized recreation, exception being the Olympia and King County address.

So they can figure out what trails to take away. Reminds me of work, when there is a plan where you "could" make more money, the end result is you make less. I suspect the whole idea is to take riding habitat. In fact, look at all the areas where the meeting are. Those are all in areas with little or no motorized recreation, exception being the Olympia and King County address.

I agree to a degree... that entire post was a copy and paste of the e-mail. That question was not mine.

We need to overwhelm all these meeting with ORV'ers.:blah: And show them that we are not going to lie down and let them walk all over us like they have done in the past.:busted: If you do not step up and vioce your opinion then you have nothing to bitch about. Because if you think that someone else will do it and you do not just have the time. Well you might have alot more time on your hands if they think there are just not that many of us out there or we just do not care enough to show up. I tell you those tree hugger will be there.

And by overwhelm I mean 100's of people. Make them take notice. Bring your kids, parents, grandparents, neighbors, and friends! The more the merrier. Because if you think that losing riding areas will never happen, well think again. Do you think the people of Great Britian and Australia thought they would never loss their rights to own a gun!? I bet they wish they had stood up now! :doh:

Plus if you think you just can not find the time to go to one of these meeting and/or someone else will be there. Well you might have alot more time on your hand if they think there are just not that many of us and instead of giving us more places to ride. They take more away.? Because for ever place we ride now, we lose. That is one more place those ? mountain bikers will take over once we can not ride there anymore.:D

Just do not just sit by and think someone else will take care of this. Get involved!:worthy:

That is not the way I meant it. But I heard that right from one of the bicyclest lobbyists mouths. About when we lose just about any riding trails. They will take them over.

This is true:prof:

But we should still consider them allies.

Thanks for the information, I''ll' add the Evergreen meeting to my calender with a note to drive the car without the dirt bike bumper stickers.

Anyone else planning on attending? I'll be traveling from Federal Way, we should sit together.

Any ideas on making a presentation?

Post info and we can put together a presentation to improve single track trails.