Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Rear Shock Swaps

I was wondering if anyone had ever swapped out the stock rear shock on the 400 for something else. i am looking for a simple bolt-on procedure with as little modifying as possible. i am 6' 250 lbs and am looking for a stiffer setup. i know that i could buy a new spring but i am trying to avoid that if possible. i was wondering if a shock from a XR650 would fit or if they are completely different. i also was wondering if the 650's shock is stiffer. i just had my forks rebuilt and had them put stiffer springs in them and now the bike feels very off balance. i am trying to find a cheap way to get a stiffer rear shock. i am open to other ideas such as shocks off of say a CRF450 but again i don't know if it will fit without major modifications. thanks for any help that i can get

the other shocks wont bolt up and there is not going to be a cheaper way than buying a new spring..you really need to to the front and rear to balance the bike out.

There was an Ohlins shock and fork off of the Cannondale that worked.

When Cannondale went out of the motorcycle business, a huge number of forks and shockes were sold for cheap. You'll have to do some searching... and let me know if you find a second pair!

There was an Ohlins shock and fork off of the Cannondale that worked.

When Cannondale went out of the motorcycle business, a huge number of forks and shockes were sold for cheap. You'll have to do some searching... and let me know if you find a second pair!

You are correct, Sbabs here on TT bought the Cannondale / Ohlins set up cheep!

I tried to buy the Ohlins off him but no luck!

the fork of a cannondale will mount up but cannondales had pds type shocks with out linkage like ktms. its a different shock design than the shocks made for bikes with linkage. it may bolt up but wont work right.

Thanks for every bodies input i think that i will bite the bullet and get the rear revalved and resprung it sounds like the best way to go besides it is only money right?