Sign in to follow this  

Boise area riders- Hunter Creek next week?

Anyone interested in riding from the Hunter creek trailhead in the Sawtooth National Forest next week, tue, wed., or thurs? I've never been there but it looks like theres tons-o-trails on the map. I can drive, but only have room for 2 bikes in the back of the truck.

Duh ! just call me ! We need to complete the lightniong creek trail sometime as well .

Dan, I went online to the Sawtooth National Forest site and pulled up the trail map. It looks like most of the single track is in the northern section and close to or in the fire closure area. We may want to confirm before heading out. I will stop by and talk to Murray @ Mototech today.

Dan, I went online to the Sawtooth National Forest site and pulled up the trail map. It looks like most of the single track is in the northern section and close to or in the fire closure area. We may want to confirm before heading out. I will stop by and talk to Murray @ Mototech today.

where is closed? according to Ed who was up towards big smoky last week, only 1 of the trails is closed, and I thought that would be willow or shake, on the north side of the featherville-bigsmoky rd. but i could be confused. it wouldn't be the first time.

Note that the online maps sometimes omit trails.

I think all the trails that tie into Hunter are still open, just not the roads in the South Fork Boise drainage.

Hunter Creek is a decent trail that ties into some really good trails, wish I could come join the fun. It'll be a fusty ducker out there.

I just picked up a 2008 motor vehicle use map from the fairfield RD last week. It shows I would guess well over 100 miles of singletrack that can be accessed from either hunter creek or the bremner trailhead without getting into the burn area.

There are more trails closed this week than last week. Big Smokey is open and Johnson Creek area and Snow Slide is open too. We camped at Canyon Camp Ground. We did go to some trails that were not closed then that are now. We also went over Boardman Pass to Brimner and South Fork of Lime and then up to Iron Mt. look out. There were very few people there.

Ed

Boardman Pass, what a miserable trail... was it still littered with boulders bigger than your bike?

doggerdan you shouldn't have any problems with the trails on the south side of the South Fork Boise being closed as the fire is on the other side of the river. Virginia Gulch, Kelly Creek, all those trails that tie in on that side should be rideable.

Murray was up there 2 weeks ago. He said they ended up running into road blocks and trail closures on the 2nd half of their loop. I am not familiar with that trail system so I can't say which areas will be effected.

Dan, I recall that you had mentioned that there were more trails than the travel map indicated . I figured the web site might be more current .

Murray also mentioned that they ran into a recent beaver dam that backed a pond up over the trail. They had to dismantled some of it and let it drain for a while to make it passable. He figures they've probably built it back up. He also recommended that we wait a few weeks to try it due to closures.

I think all the trails that tie into Hunter are still open, just not the roads in the South Fork Boise drainage.

Hunter Creek is a decent trail that ties into some really good trails, wish I could come join the fun. It'll be a fusty ducker out there.

Is they section you are refering to in the low lying areas towards Fairfield ?

I may have ridden that area 6yrs ago via Iron Mtn.

cowboyona if you go to the end of the road and look around there is another trail up to the pass that is much better than that rockey trail you were on. I found this trail 2 years ago, it is sort of hard to find but look around at the end of the road and you should find it.

Ed

cowboyona if you go to the end of the road and look around there is another trail up to the pass that is much better than that rockey trail you were on. I found this trail 2 years ago, it is sort of hard to find but look around at the end of the road and you should find it.

Ed

I've heard others riding Boardman Pass and not having the horrible experience we had, so I figured there must be some better way down off that hill.

mbaird, the trail from Hunter Creek or Bremner goes up and ties into the trails in the South Fork Drainage (Kelly Creek, Virginia Gulch, Grouse Butte, CT Gulch). The trail to Iron Mountain takes off from the top of the ridge where Kelly Creek and Bremner tie in together. I grew up riding that area, but since moving for school and my job I haven't rode there much recently... miss it terribly.

I've heard others riding Boardman Pass and not having the horrible experience we had, so I figured there must be some better way down off that hill.

Maybe they don't mind rocky trails? Last guy I took on boardman whined like a little girl about it, and we were going the easy way (down). What a pansy. Next time we went out deadwood, and there was whining about that too. Whiners, lol.

After the road crossing, there are at least 4 different ways down besides the boulder-y trail, but 3 of them are more difficult, and 2 of them ford the south fork (no bridge) so they are not good choices for early season.

I don't mind rocky trails, but when we went down Boardman pass (at least that's what the leader was calling the "trail" we were on) it was a joke- bouncing down over and through boulders as big as your bike, some bigger. I think everyone in the group ended up shutting the bike off and just coasting down the stupid thing.

I grew up in Twin and spent my entire youth riding the trails south of Twin and in the Sawtooths north of Fairfield so I know rocky trails well 👍 We must have been on the wrong trail that day, because it was beyond rediculous. Not really hard, just rediculous. You'd be hard pressed to ride up the trail we came down. We came from the Ear Creek CG up to Smoky Dome (I think) then down "Boardman Pass" and ended up on the north side of Soldier... missed a turn and ended up riding roads into Fairfield, people running out of gas, those of us who had fuel hauled back to camp and jumped in the trucks to come rescue everyone else.

We must have been on the wrong trail that day, because it was beyond rediculous. Not really hard, just rediculous.

that sounds alot like the lower part of Boardman. I personally enjoy that kind of riding, but I'm told many other people don't. I think that's some of the boulderiest trail I've ridden in idaho. Big Peak Creek is pretty similar only it's not sloped significantly, so you can't coast, lol.

We ended up riding Lava Mtn to the Trinities , down Roaring River Trail , then William Pogue to the Creek from Hell trail (actually quite fun on a 300 and trials tire!) back up to Lava Mtn. What is the name of that trail ? The one that you have to ride up trough over boulders or criss cross 100 times. You know it Lama.

It snowed a few flakes on us and was a bit chilly early on , but all in all it was a perfect ride.

BTW, Anyone who may be riding the Lava Mtn trail and running low on 2t fuel.

keep an eye out for a 1 liter Motul bottle that is stashed in a secret spot somewhere along the trail. ( So secret that even I don't know where it is !)

Duct tape just isn't what it used to be ! No matter how much you use.