XR650R Supermoto

Do It! Its a ****ing ball to run around with 17's. And the BRP makes a great bike for supermoto as well.

What kinda set-up are you thinking of doing?

Here's mine

XR650R-June08002.jpg

Mostly in the info gathering stage for right now. So far I have mostly concentrated on the cosmetic side, acerbis front fender, black plastics (probably paint or decal tank) etc. From what I have read, XR's Only exhaust, wheels I am stuck between spokes or not, they both look awesome. I do mostly street riding...RIDING, not racing I have cars for that (the the spirited footpeg hook in the asphault happens quite often) so I am not too sure what I will do with the suspension. I am sure a better brake set up will be in the mix. I like the motostrano black mamba headlight but I have seen some real neat posts about using Buell Ulysses setup if you are crafty to fab up some stuff, not too sure how either set up will affect the stator though.

Also I have been hit with the seemingly ever so common countershaft seal leak yesterday, I am trying to find a place to order it next day air. I can't stand to be withouth it.

I am also in the process of converting my XR, and can't wait for it to be done... It's just very expensive...

I think the way I am going to do it is get the "bling" done first, ie plastics etc and of course the road legal stuff too, exuast tuning etc. Then move on to the expensive stuff like wheel/tires/suspension and perhaps then to the track side depending. From what I have found so far to get the plastics (in my case, all black) and a Baja designs kit you aren't looking at too much $$$, excluding a larger tank in black or painting the stocker. I've read the Krylon Fusion paint works well on plastics but I am not sure if that will be ok on a fuel tank if the vapors actually "seep" through .

Like nasaracer804, I'm new here and want to build an XR650L Supermotard. Actually, HE got me into the idea by pointing out some sites with pics, etc. but I have yet to purchase an XR...he's got me beat in that respect.

It's apparent that this site has a boatload of resources to help one get started, no doubt.

I'll be sitting back and checking out some threads and may jump on a deal for a bike if I find one. I'm sure I'll learn from nasaracer804's experiences and hope to get started on one before the end of the year.

Hondacrf150F1 - your bike is a fine example of the direction I'm headed. What are those wheels and how does the cost compare to getting a set of spoked wheels built? Nice setup...being that I want to buy an XR650L - I'll probably strip the frame and have it powdercoated some whacky color, then use flat or satin black or that cool green and go from there.

Nice pics, keep 'em coming! ?

Hondacrf150F1 - your bike is a fine example of the direction I'm headed. What are those wheels and how does the cost compare to getting a set of spoked wheels built? Nice setup...being that I want to buy an XR650L - I'll probably strip the frame and have it powdercoated some whacky color, then use flat or satin black or that cool green and go from there.

Nice pics, keep 'em coming! ?

They are marchesini wheels, and the price just went up...$1900 for a set i think. But they are well worth it, there atleast 6-8 pounds lighter than my spoked 17's on my CRF450R. And they look better to.

Hey there, what are the size of the marchesini wheels? What size of tires do you recommend with these as well? Thanks.

I think you can order wheels in 4.25, 4.5, 5, and 5.5 inches. I went with a 4.25 because thats what most guys seam to run no the XR, and its what the guy from motostrano recommended. And i originaly went with a 150 tire, which is what most poeple recommend, but lately ive been running 160 pilot powers on the rear, and i like the handleing better. Although some say the side walls get weak because the tire is streched out beyond the wheel, which is true, but im not racing, and i can still ride like a hooligan and get amazing grip.

front 3.5 wheel, 120-70-17 tire.