Scott's Stabilizer - Dirt or Street Model???

Does anyone on here have any feedback regarding the 2 different models of Scott's Steering Dampners (Dirt Model and Street Model). I guess the "Dirt" model only dampens outward from center while the "Street" one, dampens outward and inward from center.

I have an '08 SM and do 75% street and 25% dirt (5 days a week commuting and 1 weekend day dirt riding).

Thanks in advance!!

The're on the fence as well. There only thing was; that if you sold the bike and got a dirtbike, you would be able to install on new bike. They did say that you wouldn't want use the street version for dirt.👍

If your using it on an SM get the road version which dampens in both directions and great for highspeed stability.

Scotts makes an excellent product. Make sure you get the entire package including the perchmounts to match the topmount where the damper sits. chk my garage for pics.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=61375

The're on the fence as well. There only thing was; that if you sold the bike and got a dirtbike, you would be able to install on new bike. They did say that you wouldn't want use the street version for dirt.👍

Scotts is trying to push the dirt unit....GPR makes one unit thats used for both street and dirt and it dampens in both directions.

Simple solution... get the street one and turn the main valve down or off for the dirt. The high speed valve will still be fully active even with the main valve turned completely off.

Why? because on the street, you're going a lot faster... things you can bounce off of are "harder", and the injury implications from going down due to a loss of steering control are far greater.

It's not like you're riding rock and log strewn single-track with an SM bike... right?

C

I wish that I knew about the 2 versions BEFORE I bought mine so I could have tried to make an educated choice. I only seen one offered when I got it with my BRP upper clamp assembly. I'm still not sure I know how to tell which one I have do they look different or is it just the dampening action? I am not sure I would buy one just for the street, but I know the value for the dirt.

I'm still not sure I know how to tell which one I have do they look different or is it just the dampening action? I am not sure I would buy one just for the street, but I know the value for the dirt.

The street damper offers resistance both away from center, and back to center. The dirt damper offers resistance only away from center, and "free-valves" back to center.

The high speed valve... or "shock valve" to look at it from a different perspective, operates independantly on either damper, so it's unaffected by the main valves adjustment.

The idea is that in the dirt, unwanted deflections by rocks, roots, potholes, rain ruts etc etc, are at the least fatiguing... and at worst, dangerous.

I know that when I'm climbing up a "rock garden" my Scott's damper allows me a lighter, less fatiguing grip on the bars... knowing that the damper will do some of the work of keeping the bike on track for me.

On the street, you're dealing more often with the bikes own gyroscopic and chassis imperfections... oscillations of both high and low amplitude and frequency that benefit from being damped in 'both directions' to insure the best possible result.

I would rather have a turned down street damper in the dirt, than a dirt damper on a high performance sport/SM bike... IMO.

C