Sign in to follow this  

new DR650 owner

K, so im picking up my new DR650 in a few days and was wondering what some simple mods are. Mainly, air box mods, particular jetting that will save me the hassle of buying a jet kit, simple exhaust mods, cam timing(if adjustable).

im in fla, so at 0ft elevation, and the bike will mainly be used for supermoto/on road, with a good solid enduro or hare scramble run every now and then.

also, for more down the road, i remember doing a carb swap on my old DRz, whats a good carb to run on this bike for when i really feel like digging into it?

Do the air box mod, a jet kit(Dynajet kit) and get a good free flowing exhaust. If you really want to get the most out of your DR go with the Keihin FCR39Mx or the Mikuni TM40 carbs.

FCR39Mx, isnt that the carb on the YZ450f?

I'm not sure but quite possibly. Maybe Keihin's 41mm version of it's FCR. Here is the thread that we have all been following to adapt this carb to the DR. It is a FCR carb from a Quad Yamaha's YFZ450. MXRob started it all with this thread and did an excellent job. It's quite long but very interesting and worth the read.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553922

and what exactly is the airbox mod?

A lot of guys cut a 3"x3" hole in the top of air box to increase the air flow to the engine. There is a thread here that explains how to do this. You will also have to make jetting changes for you to take advantage of this mod. The extra air will throw your air fuel ratio off if jetting changes are not made. Some guys like me just remove the airbox side cover. http://www.kientech.com/AirBoxMod.htm