Sign in to follow this  

Bike won't start. Any suggestions

Hey guys, I have a 2005 SM and I stopped at coffee shop oneday after a ride and about an hour later the thing won't start or should I say won't idle. I finally got it started but had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. I got back home changed the spark plug and even took a look at the stator(as per threads with similar problems). The plug had been fouled and the stator was fine. I have rejetted the bike and am using an adjustable fuel air mixture screw, but this was about 4 months ago and the bike had been riding great before and up until the time I stopped. I thinking loose or clogged jet but I'm open to suggestions. I appreciate any help I can get from you ya'all. Thanks

I'd check the pilot jet. They provide fuel for the idle circuit, and are easily clogged. They have a very small opening so they can be difficult to get them 100% open. It's usually easiest to replace them as to try and clean them.

Yeah these are my sentiments exactly. Just odd in the fashion that it happened. Actually got the bike to idle for about a minute just know before it shut down.

That would be the first place I would go exploring. You may be able to get it clean, but be careful inserting anything into the orifice of the pilot jet. You can easily deform it. If you don't get it 100% clear, your work will be for naught.

I would have first checked for water in the fuel. :worthy:

Usually when things that are working fine suddenly start acting weird it doesn't always indicate a catastrophic failure of some sort.

Start with the basics and look for the simple over looked things.

I will never forget the time I kicked and kicked and kicked my old (would not start) 650 Triumph until sweat was pouring down my face and after much swearing and cursing I tore apart the carb looking for a plugged jet and I happened to look up and saw the ignition switch was in the off position! 👍

• Like 1

I've accidentally hit the emergency stop button above the starter button on my DRZ and wondered why it wouldn't start, but it won't do nary a thing if it's engaged. 👍

check your oil...

does your oil smell (gassy)? happen to leave fuel tap on prime?

your symptoms sounds like what happens when the oil

gets fuel contaminated..

Hey guys, I have a 2005 SM and I stopped at coffee shop oneday after a ride and about an hour later the thing won't start or should I say won't idle. I finally got it started but had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. I got back home changed the spark plug and even took a look at the stator(as per threads with similar problems). The plug had been fouled and the stator was fine. I have rejetted the bike and am using an adjustable fuel air mixture screw, but this was about 4 months ago and the bike had been riding great before and up until the time I stopped. I thinking loose or clogged jet but I'm open to suggestions. I appreciate any help I can get from you ya'all. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've ruled out contaimenated oil. Drained oil when I checked the stator. Smells fine. Im hoping its a jet issue

I will never forget the time I kicked and kicked and kicked my old (would not start) 650 Triumph until sweat was pouring down my face and after much swearing and cursing I tore apart the carb looking for a plugged jet and I happened to look up and saw the ignition switch was in the off position! 👍

:worthy:

So did you solve your problem? I'm curious what was the cause as I'm having troubles and am looking for more clues to solve the problem.

... The plug had been fouled and the stator was fine. I have rejetted the bike and am using an adjustable fuel air mixture screw...

Have you checked that your slow mixture screw is still set properly? The fact that your bike kept running with the throttle cracked open, and you had a fouled plug, both suggest that your idle circuit is too rich. If your screw vibrates out of the carb, that's what'll happen.