I broke my heel... Now what?

Hey guys I broke my heel on August 16th after a big crash wich made me land on my foot. We immediatly went to the hospital to get some x-rays and the doctor told me that I don't need a cast and also that everything is in place, so no surgery this time!? The doctor want to see me again on October 1th.

I wanted to know if there are anybody here who already broke their heel and could give me some advice about that. And when I sould be able to ride again if everything goes right!

thanks!

I'm guessing he told you to stay off of it until your October visit. Listen to him. It needs to heal or you'll have problems for a long time. However, as long as he told you not to, exercise range of motion, maybe a bit of light stretching of the achilles just to keep it limber. I'm still rehabing a destroyed ankle and being immobile for about 8 weeks is what is still causing me problems, as everything is tightened up, despite the injury being 100% cured.

You'll be back on the bike in no time, so just start the new school year on crutches and all the girlies will be giving you some sympathy:thumbsup:

I broke mine awhile back and had two screws put in it. Some other damage to the ankle as well. Took a very long time to get back to almost 100%. It's as good as its gonna get now, and it's no where near 100% though(ankle and foot as a whole, heal is fine). Since you do not have to have surgery or even wear a cast you should be good. Probably only a minor crack. Just keep exercising your ankle and you should be fine once your cleared to ride again.

Hey guys I broke my heel on August 16th after a big crash wich made me land on my foot. We immediatly went to the hospital to get some x-rays and the doctor told me that I don't need a cast and also that everything is in place, so no surgery this time!? The doctor want to see me again on October 1th.

I wanted to know if there are anybody here who already broke their heel and could give me some advice about that. And when I sould be able to ride again if everything goes right!

thanks!

same thing happened to me 3 years ago, but I also crushed the cartilage in my ankle, and really screwed up the ligaments and joints in the ankle also. The Doctor also did not cast me up or do surgery, and said it would never be %100 again. he also said the surgery wouldn't really help it heal any better or something to that effect. I had to go in every week for the first month to get checked on , but after 3 weeks I asked for an air cast just for extra protection when I was hobbling around on crutches. I think I started slowly walking on it with help from the crutches towards a month1/2 in, but it was very hard and painful,and not possible without crutches. I rode a little without jumping around the 2 month mark but tipped in a corner and had a hell of a time trying to get on and start the bike again. All total I was off work for 3 months and started to walk ok on it at about 2-1/2 months. I kind of now wished I had waited a little longer to start the walking, it hurts every day still and will often give out underneath me if I turn just slightly the wrong way, Also can't skate or play hockey any more or run well, I think it is at about %80 now and will probably stay that way. but it could be worse. If you get a chance send Dr. Mark the x-ray pic's and see what he says, sorry for being long winded. :worthy::busted: