Sign in to follow this  

Grip Removal

This sounds pretty basic but, I have a grip I'm trying to change on my throttle tube and that thing is stuck like I can't believe! I tried lacquer thinner,acetone and I can't get the glue to let go! So far I'm just sorta peeling and cutting. Any ideas, Thanks for the help...boscoe

First, from the bar end, jam a long small flat bladed screwdriver all the way up between the grip and the throttle tube at the top position (12 oclock)

Then use brake cleaner fluid and spray up inside the opening.

Then turn/rotate the srewdriver handle as you work the srewdriver around the grip seperating the grip from the handle and letting the spray penetrate the circumfrance of the the throttle tube.

Then pull off the grip.

I use rubbing alcohol(isoprpyl) which you should have around the house, like others have mentioned before use a screwdriver to open up the grip slightly and pour a small amount of the rubbing alcohol in, it will come off easy. You can also use it to put grips on, again just a little bit and move quickly before it dries, if the grip moves a little after intallation reapeat with the screwdriver but now blow compressed air into it to dry it out. I've used this several times and always with good results. If you have any doubts try this on a bicycle first, you can take the grip off and put it on without hurting it. Good luck.

Well, got e'm off, the brake cleaner idea was key,thanks CFC. I didn't have that but carb cleaner seemed to eat at this super glue, that and a wire brush to get all the crumbs off that tube. thanks all!

The OE Kawasaki throttle side grips were cemented on soo bad I would just replace the whole tube. I still have my mint condition original grip and throttle tube from my 98 KX250 as a spare.

One of the below and about 2 seconds of your time. 👍

VS500-B.jpg

Yup...

just cut them, you'll need to replace them anyway.