Sign in to follow this  

08 XR650L Problem

Bike has 5300 miles & completely stock. It will start up and idle. It won't rev. Only thing we had done to get it to run is to manually choke the carb with a rag. Compression is at 165psi. Fuel and air are both blowing back into the airbox from the carb. Any ideas?

possibly an air leak between carb and head,hence the need for the choke (to compensate for the extra air)...

Matt, you definitely have something hooked up wrong or something! I wish I could put my finger on it for you, but it sure does seem like a carb problem. Here's the service manual in case you want to spend a little bit of time looking over the carb section - maybe you have something hooked up wrong??

http://pages.suddenlink.net/maisonrs/XR650L%20Manual.pdf

I hope this helps...sorry I couldn't be of more help. If it means anything, let me tell you that these are great bikes and your problem is very unusual! Your miles are nothing for an L, something has to be hooked up wrong in my opinion. Let us know if you get it figured out...but I'll bet that some of the super helpful people around here will be chipping in their thoughts and suggestions. Stay tuned, I'm sure help will arrive here for you soon...

Bike has 5300 miles & completely stock. It will start up and idle. It won't rev. Only thing we had done to get it to run is to manually choke the carb with a rag. Compression is at 165psi. Fuel and air are both blowing back into the airbox from the carb. Any ideas?

Welcome to TT. What have you done mod wise?

Tighten the intake manifold bolts.

The bike is completely stock. I've never done anything to it other than ride. This whole thing seemed to have been an overnight thing. I rode one day, it sat for a day, then wouldn't run. Everyone I've talked to is baffled at this one. I heard everything from timing was off, to the valves not adjusted. One thing I did forget to add is the backfire into the carb. We caught a rag on fire from that. I didn't get to mess with it today but hopefully get back on it tomorrow.

I just had this problem with my 07 650l i installed the ims emission block off kit and i went by the directions ims sent me and it showed to block off the float bowl vent tube. monkey see monkey do I capped it off, the bike would only start fully choked and would quickly die with fuel soaking the filter and airbox. anyways check your 2 vent tubes.

I had a similar problem. One day my XR600 would start and idle, but it would die as soon as I applied some throttle. Turned out to be water in the gas. A drop got into the main jet and it got stuck there due to surface tension. Completely blocked gas from the main jet. That's why it would start, but die with throttle.

It could be water or other crud in your tank/carb. It's something else to look for in addition to all the suggestions so far.

Well I think she is done. Got to mess with her a little today and instead of sucking air into the carb it's blowing it out. It won't even start. She is headed to honda the first of next week.

Ouch. The first thing I thought of when i read this is bent valves. Timing chains always seem to slip when you're first starting the engine, maybe because of oil viscosity being thick, and the castings having contracted in cooling, binding inner parts tighter. Either way, the intake is only supposed to suck IN air, not blow it out. Sounds like valves to me.

It wouldn't idle once it started blowing air back out of the carb.

It's pushing air out of the rear of the carb during cranking?

Try and check the intake valve lash. Might be too tight.

The final verdict is she was out of time, and pretty bad if I must say so. The cam was about 1/4 turn out. I guess from constant trying to get her to start it just kept getting worse. It's all better now for the time being. Only problem is knowing why it jumped in the first place.

Worn chain, worn tensioner, failed tensioner, worn sorockets, maybe the cam bearing failed so bad the cam lowered enough to loosen the chain?

Dave

Well I think she is done. Got to mess with her a little today and instead of sucking air into the carb it's blowing it out. It won't even start. She is headed to honda the first of next week.

Backfire and blowing air out of the Carb.=Timing.

Well after more in depth investigating the final verdict is a bent crankshaft. Explains the timing jumping everytime I set it. After 2 months of stressing over the darn thing not I'm really pissed about the bike.

2008 , 5000 miles... bent crankshaft ???? what append to the bulletproof bike guys... i have a 08 with the same milage... it makes me a little not so sure... what could of cause that???

2008 , 5000 miles... bent crankshaft ???? what append to the bulletproof bike guys... i have a 08 with the same milage... it makes me a little not so sure... what could of cause that???

Almost sounds like a problem caused by hydro lock..