Sign in to follow this  

closed chamber fork seal replacement

👍 OK- how do you do it? Has to be a simple way to change the seals and change the inner chamber fluid. Everybody acts like this is such a chore. What tools? Any simple downloads or anybody have a how to pictorial. My crf450 forks were easy, but the whole bladder thing has me stumped alittle. It cant be that much different. I cant find the amount of oil that goes into the inner carttridge-most is like 200cc. OH- bike is a 08 200xc. I really got the stuf dialed in stock, but now i got a leaky seal. I hate to send it out-never feels the same. Tried cleaning it a million times with no luck

Thanks yz450f guy-thats actually how I learned to my crf. The ktm closed chamber have a bladder and the inner chamber cartridge procedure is a little different. Something about howthe bladder sits on the inner cartridge/chamber and how much nitrigen pressure you need. Nobody is willing to talk about it cause they are fairly new and the suspension guys are making a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ off of it. I remember when everyone was wary of twin forks and now everybody is working on the themselves. I am tearing into them next week. Local suspension shop is pretty cool. Guy said just to call if I got questions.. They want about $100 to change the seal and new fluids,replace anything thats bad, but I really want to know how these things work.

I just did some 08 KTM forks the other night. They are actually like the cartridge forks on older ktms (just harder to get all the oil out). The only way to get all the oil out of the cartridge is to remove the bolt on the bottom. I didn't notice any bladder. Once it is drained you can add oil like you normally would. Pump the rod and the cartridge fills back up.

I just did some 08 KTM forks the other night. They are actually like the cartridge forks on older ktms (just harder to get all the oil out). The only way to get all the oil out of the cartridge is to remove the bolt on the bottom. I didn't notice any bladder. Once it is drained you can add oil like you normally would. Pump the rod and the cartridge fills back up.

08 still offered open chamber forks. you say you didn't see a bladder. Are you sure you weren't working on the old style OC forks? 👍