Sign in to follow this  

Break-in procedure?

I need to break in my bike after installing new rings. I know there's the "take it easy" school, and the "flog it" school. I'm from the FLOG IT school. In the past, I've warmed bikes up completely then given it a good hard ride with alternating throttle along with short bursts of WOT, followed by changing the oil immediately. It's always worked pretty well. However, being new to trials bikes and knowing that they run a little different powerband type of riding than I'm used to, what's the best way to make sure these rings are seated well? 👍

Also, anybody know where the trans oil fill is on a 98 TXT280? The video I have shows the newer bikes had them just behind the kick lever, but mine doesn't have anything there. Nothing else is really jumping out at me either. Thanks.

I would just take it a little easy. I don't know your skill level, but I would guess that you wouldn't be doing anything using WOT anyway? If you were, I would say you should avoid that.

That's what caused the "tick" in the first place.. 👍

Now for the real answer:

They say that riding the bike as if you were riding real Trials Sections is the best way. Tight turns and jumps along with shutting it off to inspect the next section and then ride some more.

Short power bursts should be fine followed by a glide, maybe a turn and then hit it again as in going up and down a steep but short dirt bank.

Also, anybody know where the trans oil fill is on a 98 TXT280? The video I have shows the newer bikes had them just behind the kick lever, but mine doesn't have anything there. Nothing else is really jumping out at me either. Thanks.

:worthy:👍 That sounds like a good one for Laser17.

I heard the same thing 2-ply did on the break in, but everyone seems to have there own special technique, gas, oil you name it....

I thought there was a small allen on top near the kick starter - maybe its a special lifetime fluid on the 270's...👍 seems crazy...:worthy: You can always pop the clutch cover off and fill from there if you dont find one. (dont forget to lean the bike over)

Here's a pic of the bike on both sides. The fill bolt in the vid is very apparent just above the kickstart on top of the side cover, but is absent on mine. I'm thinking I may just have to take the clutch cover off if nobody knows where the fill bolt is. The dealer I use didn't have an answer either. 👍

txt.jpg

I seem to remember removing the hex shaped sight glass on the right side near the rear brake lever tip (visible in the photo) and lay the bike on it's side. Put the measured amount required by your manual or the video and then replace the sight glass and then check the level through the window.

Just break it in as you would ride the bike normally. Make sure you let it go through some heat cycles also. Get it good and warm, and then let it cool all the way down completely, befor warming it up again.

I'm just going through this too, after a complete rebuild.

Was told to keep the loads light for the first tank, along with keeping some air flow through the rad. Cruising in 3rd and 4th like traveling between sections. Letting it cool down every 10-15mins. Keeping the revs varying and not giving it a big rev and shutting the throttle completely, were tips I was given.

Don't know how much is fact or what works best but that's what i've done. Nearly at the end of the second tank now, so into easy obstacles and some hill climbs.

Just great to have it running and not rattling. It had eaten a bottom end bearing and had a bit of blow past the ring. Bonus is I now know it's a 270 not a 250 and it's running sweet.

:worthy: ok the oil fill is the bolt just above and to the left of the site glass there is a spring with a ball bearing at the end of it,use 550cc dextron 3 tranny fluid only for good clutch life,lean the bike on its side and dump it in with a small funnel or an old school pump oil can:thumbsup:

Here's a pic of the bike on both sides. The fill bolt in the vid is very apparent just above the kickstart on top of the side cover, but is absent on mine. I'm thinking I may just have to take the clutch cover off if nobody knows where the fill bolt is. The dealer I use didn't have an answer either. 👍

txt.jpg