Sign in to follow this  

250f..

So I'm beyond pissed with my current CRF250R, and as soon as it's running it's gone.... So what 250F would you recommend? I'm planning on buying a brand new bike so maybe I will wait until EFI. I might buy a new CRF250R.

No KTM's thanks.

any reason for no KTM's, apart from wearing though rings quickly they're excellent bikes.

the big qurtion is what does you current bike do that you want the new one not to, and what traits of the current bike do you like and want from the new one.

If you want an MX 250 you should probably go with the YZ250F. If you wanted more of a trail bike then go with the Husky TE250. It is the only 250 with fuel injection, and is a very nice handling bike.(also both of these bikes are reliable-I believe)

ttoks - the following reasons are reasons that I don't want a KTM..

They are heavy

No shock linkage

Parts are extremely expensive compared to any other brand.

it's orange.

And my current bike currently hasn't run since May. I've done EVERYTHING to this bike to figure out what is wrong and we still can't figure it out. I have a 2005 CRF250R. I liked the way it rode, but now hate that bike.

I have had two YZ250F's btw, 2003 and 2004. I disliked both of them. I don't know how much different the 06 and newer ones are, however. I haven't ridden one of the newer styles.

I would get a yz250f I only buy yamaha 4strokes because of reliability alone.I have an 08 250f and i absolutely love it.I went from a 450f to a 250f and i wish i did it years ago.

ttoks - the following reasons are reasons that I don't want a KTM..

They are heavy

No shock linkage

Parts are extremely expensive compared to any other brand.

it's orange.

And my current bike currently hasn't run since May. I've done EVERYTHING to this bike to figure out what is wrong and we still can't figure it out. I have a 2005 CRF250R. I liked the way it rode, but now hate that bike.

I have had two YZ250F's btw, 2003 and 2004. I disliked both of them. I don't know how much different the 06 and newer ones are, however. I haven't ridden one of the newer styles.

Completely different, the newer ones have the best suspension on the market and the motors are decent. Not as fast as a new KXF but its fast enough.

I remember my 04 being heavy as **** compared to my CRF250R, are the newer ones still heavy?

the new ones still feel heavier then everything else, but not as bad as the older ones, however best suspention is a stretch, the forks are nice but i'm still a firm supporter of honda's showa's over the KYB.

maybe have a look at a later KX250F, 06 and on, they handle well, good power and suspention, don't get anything older then an 06 though, 05 and beforehand they were a joint operation with suzuki and it went south badly, if your buying new the 09 kawi's look very apealing as well, a lot of changes on an already very good bike (showa suspention over KYB!)

but jsut a note on the KTM's, keep in midn they're quoted wieght is ready to race, with fuel, all other makes quoted the weight without fuel, they're no heavier then other 250F's, and the linkless is if anything i've found to be better then the link link.

• Like 1

I remember my 04 being heavy as **** compared to my CRF250R, are the newer ones still heavy?

No, not at all. The newer ones are faster than your 05 Honda and have way better suspension. Some think the cornering isn't that good, but I have no problem with it. Just make sure the bike has a good front tire and the suspension is set up.

the new ones still feel heavier then everything else, but not as bad as the older ones, however best suspention is a stretch, the forks are nice but i'm still a firm supporter of honda's showa's over the KYB.

maybe have a look at a later KX250F, 06 and on, they handle well, good power and suspention, don't get anything older then an 06 though, 05 and beforehand they were a joint operation with suzuki and it went south badly, if your buying new the 09 kawi's look very apealing as well, a lot of changes on an already very good bike (showa suspention over KYB!)

but jsut a note on the KTM's, keep in midn they're quoted wieght is ready to race, with fuel, all other makes quoted the weight without fuel, they're no heavier then other 250F's, and the linkless is if anything i've found to be better then the link link.

I have ridden every 250F except the KTM and we both know there suspension isn't the greatest. The yamaha has the best suspension bar none. I have owned the 04 honda, 06 KX250F, and ridden the 08 RMZ250, the YZF has the best stock suspension no matter what you want to think. I am not saying that the Showa stuff sucks, just saying the stock SSS KYB is the best out.

you've ridden an 04 honda as a comparison? come back when you've ridden the current modle bikes, now it's just MY opinion, you can think whatever you like, you might well still prefer the suspention on the yamaha's after riding an 08 CRF, but i still prefer the stock suspention on the 2008 CRF250 then i do the stock suspention on the 2008 YZ250F, my personal preferance.

you've ridden an 04 honda as a comparison? come back when you've ridden the current modle bikes, now it's just MY opinion, you can think whatever you like, you might well still prefer the suspention on the yamaha's after riding an 08 CRF, but i still prefer the stock suspention on the 2008 CRF250 then i do the stock suspention on the 2008 YZ250F, my personal preferance.

Well I owned a honda, not just rode it around for a while. The suspension on the 04 is the same as the 08, except little differences, its still showa twin chamber stuff. I just find it funny that every mag and most people agree with me about the Yami having the best suspension and the Honda not so much. Then you disagree, and you own a bike with Showa susopension, hmmmmmmmmmmm. Thats like me saying I own a Yamaha and it is the best cornering bike out their, I would sound like a retatd.

i'm still intiled to my opinion, i also own a bike with KYB suspention (KX 500) does that mean i'm also biased to KYB on all makes? the forks honda and suzuki use are far from the same, the honda's are using speed sensitive forks (seperate high and low speed damper adjustment) while my RM uses the older forks with one damper adjsutment for the entier stroke.

i like honda's suspention more, the valving's changed which is what makes the suspention do it's job, and i prefer honda's suspention over yamaha's, like i said my opinion, i don't care what the rag's say, or fi your opinion is differant, is that clear enough?

i'm still intiled to my opinion, i also own a bike with KYB suspention (KX 500) does that mean i'm also biased to KYB on all makes? the forks honda and suzuki use are far from the same, the honda's are using speed sensitive forks (seperate high and low speed damper adjustment) while my RM uses the older forks with one damper adjsutment for the entier stroke.

i like honda's suspention more, the valving's changed which is what makes the suspention do it's job, and i prefer honda's suspention over yamaha's, like i said my opinion, i don't care what the rag's say, or fi your opinion is differant, is that clear enough?

Ok, wow dude, you are so far off its not even funny. Its the yamaha that uses the SSS speed sensitive forks, not the honda. If I were you I would read the "rags" the get a better understanding of what bike has what.

you have a PM, not going to argue with you in the OP's thread...

ok.. I am really leaning towards a newer KX250F. and thanks ttoks for the insight on this whole ordeal.

ok.. I am really leaning towards a newer KX250F. and thanks ttoks for the insight on this whole ordeal.

Yea the newer KXF's are sick bikes, I loved mine.

The KXF has the most power

RMZ best turning

YZF best suspension

CRF best overall

And I don't know about the KTM.

So I'm beyond pissed with my current CRF250R, and as soon as it's running it's gone.... So what 250F would you recommend? I'm planning on buying a brand new bike so maybe I will wait until EFI. I might buy a new CRF250R.

No KTM's thanks.

there are only two (2) brands that are really really STAND-OUT as 250F machines OVER THE YEARS, the CRF250R and KX250F.

you may consider the YZ250F over the plus factor that they are reliable, but mind you, your CRF250R is lighter compared to the blue bike, and in terms of handling, the red bike is better, frankly-speaking :worthy:

on the other hand, since you've ridden red and you're in a love-hate relationship with this bike at present, why not look at the green bike? if you're considering '06 as the particular year model, then the KX250F is the bike for you; the same bike that won many shootouts that year 👍

if you are considering the very latest models, say the '08s and '09s, then you may want to look into the RMZ250 as alternative. both the CRF250R and RMZ250 are head-to-head in shootouts i've seen so far for '08.