Sign in to follow this  

Tach installed (and working) on WRX

Well I finally got the tach I wanted for my WRX. Instead of trying to cram in a bunch of photos and my install tips here, I decided to do a write up on my own web site. It was too much to put in one post, so click on this link and read on...

The "Motoscope Mini" from Motogadget

Come back to this thread if you have questions. I will try to answer them.

MotoscopeMini_IdleRPM.JPG

That is a very very nice and detailed write-up! 👍

so the RPM is tapped from the orange wire? :busted:

such a small device... yet so many functions... :worthy:

so the RPM is tapped from the orange wire?

Yes, the orange wire from the ECU to the ignition coil is where you get the digital signal for the tach.

How do you like it so far?

You know where the bike feels like its sweet spot vs when its lugging is now in actual RPM? Curious what RPMs you are pulling in 6th at 75mph true speed on the freeway

Yes, the orange wire from the ECU to the ignition coil is where you get the digital signal for the tach.

I wonder whether those digital guage units for cars will work on the WR?

If it works... it can have nearly all the temp and pressure readings in one unit! (just the Defi-Link Display unit in the picture below) 👍

daisy_mmc.gif

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/dp/dp_top.html

How do you like it so far?

You know where the bike feels like its sweet spot vs when its lugging is now in actual RPM? Curious what RPMs you are pulling in 6th at 75mph true speed on the freeway

I'll have to let you know this weekend when I get time to do some runs and write down some numbers. I love it so far but have only made a few shorts rides for a few miles last night to test it out. It was raining today so I drove the truck to work instead.

I would have to guess that 75 MPH true in 6th was about 7500-8000 RPM. I'll let you know tomorrow on my way home from work.... if I don't get 👍 for doing 75 in a 50.

I wonder whether those digital guage units for cars will work on the WR?

If it works... it can have nearly all the temp and pressure readings in one unit! (just the Defi-Link Display unit in the picture below) 👍

daisy_mmc.gif

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/dp/dp_top.html

It might but where are you going to install all the sensors to read fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, etc...? This is an awful small engine and I don't see any place to install a lot of sensors without some major machine work and plumbing done. Not to mention where you would mount the control unit?

It might but where are you going to install all the sensors to read fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, etc...? This is an awful small engine and I don't see any place to install a lot of sensors without some major machine work and plumbing done. Not to mention where you would mount the control unit?

well...

oil temp and oil pressure - from the bleed bolt?

water temp - from the big fat tube to the throttle body?

control unit - under the seat? 👍

I have mounted 2-way alarm on my X... so why not the control unit box? :worthy::busted::blah:

anyway it's just a thought... :D

well...

oil temp and oil pressure - from the bleed bolt?

water temp - from the big fat tube to the throttle body?

control unit - under the seat? 👍

I have mounted 2-way alarm on my X... so why not the control unit box? :worthy::busted::blah:

anyway it's just a thought... :D

A quote from their web site...

"Do not install the display in a location with much moisture or dust, or where it will be in direct sunlight, or in an area around heater exhaust vents."

Sounds like it's not very water proof, and if it can't be in direct sunlight or get wet then it is useless on a motorcycle.

I took a short ride after work to try and get a few numbers for you guys.

First let me say I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. The bike is stock (no pipe, no intake trickery, no computer mods), stock sprockets and tires, less than half a tank of gas, and no extra gear onboard. These numbers are using the stock speedometer reading, so you can take that for what it's worth.

1st gear at 25 MPH = 7600 RPM

2nd gear at 35 MPH = 8600 RPM

3rd gear at 50 MPH = 8600 RPM

4th gear at 65 MPH = 8600 RPM

5th gear at 70 MPH = 8100 RPM

6th gear at 75 MPH = 7600 RPM

6th gear at 85 MPH = 8100 RPM

These are not shift point RPM's. I rode the bike in that gear and at that speed and took a reading from the tach, then I did the same for all the rest of the gears. I hope this gives you an idea of where you are running RPM-wise for the speeds you run.

I thrashed it up through the gears one time (harder than I would normally run it) and it felt comfortable to shift around 9,500 -10,000 RPM in each gear. The bike really gets it when you wind it up like that.👍 I don't usually ride like that, but it was fun. I didn't take it to the limiter in any gear. Highest RPM I have seen is just a few clicks over 11,000, and no limiter action. I have the meter set to flash at 11,000 as a sort of "red line" before the limiter comes on. I ran it up there once to see it flash but I didn't keep it there. IMO the bike is happy from 6,000 to 10,000 RPM. I don't run mine hard. I shift around 6-7000 RPM on a normal ride. It's a commuter bike for me, so got to keep it running good or I'll have to go back to my gas sucking pick-em up truck. :worthy:

Someone mentioned in another thread about an unusal noise at 50 MPH in 4th gear. Somebody suggested that this is just a spot in the engine where the noise and vibration is the worse and it is inherent in the engine. I would have to agree. Right around 7,000 to about 7,300 is where I notice the most noise and vibration. Anything above or below that it seems to smooth out. Doesn't matter what gear you are in either. Although in the lower gears there is more noise anyhow, so it's hard to tell. In 4th, 5th and 6th at that RPM is where I feel it.

I love having the tach, but I think my push button idea has to go. I find myself hitting the button when I shift fast. Since I moved the clutch perch to the right and didn't move the grip, my clutch lever is slightly harder to reach so I end up pushing the button moving my hand more to reach the clutch. I already have a new idea for the push button so stay tuned.

mwakey...

can you do me a small favour?

can you help me take note of the follow RPMs:

100KM/H (60MPH) in 5th and in 6th?

Thanks 👍

what button are you pushing?

Read my write up and you'll see the button on the left handlebar switch housing that I installed. It's on the left side by the high beam switch.

the motoscope mini is absolutely waterproof. It's completeley moulded/potted and therfore water cannot get inside.

the motoscope mini is absolutely waterproof. It's completeley moulded/potted and therfore water cannot get inside.

I was talking about the unit mtb2104 mentioned in post #5, not the Motoscope Mini.