Sign in to follow this  

Don't let this happen to you...inspect the back of your clutch basket

This happened to my 2005 YZ250F. The plate that holds the springs in place inside the primary gear on the back of the clutch basket broke in four places. The spring that got loose (another was about to get loose) was eaten up by the gears and pieces were attracted to the magneto/flywheel magnet on the other side of the engine. This damaged the magneto and stopped the engine from getting a spark, which was probably a good thing, limiting damage. I thought about getting an after market basket but you need to remove your primary gear from your old basket and install it on the new one. Well, mine is now damaged...not the actual gear but that plate that holds the springs and you can't by it separately. So I had to buy a new oem basket. To me this seem to be a weak spot. I'm not the fastest rider anymore at the ripe age of 49 nor do I try to be. I was riding on a soft, top soil track when this happened...without warning. Is this a common occurrence for this part?

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/Courticerider/Copy1ofP1030079.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/Courticerider/Copy1ofP1030078.jpg

thats not "normal" wear... looks like a freak accident. Where it broke there is no real load on it!

The new 09 uses rubber dampers instead of steel springs, suposed to work much better, and no metail contamination in the oil.

I broke two prongs off my clutch basket and that destroyed the clutch basket gear and the oil pump gear. I bought a used basket off ebay and took the gear and put it on a hinson basket. it was a mess, I had to split the cases to clean out the bottom end, there was an entire clutch plate ground up in there.

I had to split the cases also to make sure I got all the pieces...and sure enough there was several more to be found under and to the rear of the oil screen. With the engine out, I was able to shake it upside down but they wouldn't all come out. The final damage tally included the clutch backet, magneto, oil pump, cam chain gear, BUT it's not replaceable because it's solidly part of the crank shaft, sooooo, I replace the crank shaft BUT, should you still use your three year old crank bearings and old piston and pin on your new connecting rod and crank?? No, I don't think so. It was a nightmare deciding where to stop.

NO go with new everything! And make sure to change the timing chain while your at it!

Man dude that bites. I feel you though, it ends up being one after the other once you start replacing thigs. i.e. well I'm already in here might as well replace this...and that..and those...and so on