Sign in to follow this  

At what point is it false advertising?

Most bikes are 1cc or 2cc lower then what they actually advertise but at what point does it become false advertising? Take KTM for example...

A 150SX is actually 143.6cc

A 200XC is actually 193cc

A 300XC is actually 293cc

A 400XC-W is actually 393.4cc

A 505XC-F is actually 477.52cc

A 530EXC is actually 510.4cc

Some are worse then others but two really stick out...

The 530 that is really a 510, couldn’t they have just called it a 510?

Then you have the worst one of all the 505. It’s actually a 477, don’t you think they could have called it a 480 and at least been a little honest in their advertising?

• Like 1

That always kind bugged me, if it's only a few cc off ok but 20!? why lie about it, I guess they figure not many people look up the actual amount of cc's so they will never know.

Hey can't we sue for this?

I'm gonna sue'em so I can buy a 150sx, or 143.6 I mean:p

jk, but I don't see why it's such a big deal:excuseme:

Well companies never claim that the bike number correlates to the actual size of the engine....so they are not obligated to have the bike name and engine size match.

• Like 1

yea wasn't there a thread w/ this subject matter couple minutes ago, but this is more consumer oriented then technical, it is all about the graphics isn't it?

A long time ago, the manufactures got together and decided that whoever made the most power could call their bike whatever they wanted. KTM FTW.

👍 Say's the guy who bought a mirror to put over his bed that say's "Objects Are Larger than They Appear"... :worthy:

A long time ago, the manufactures got together and decided that whoever made the most power could call their bike whatever they wanted. KTM FTW.

you ktm guys are so uppity, some day i'd like an orange one, 144sx or 150 kind of a dream for me.

👍 Say's the guy who bought a mirror to put over his bed that say's "Objects Are Larger than They Appear"... :worthy:

:busted:

Its because it sounds more appealing to a buyer. ok, what sounds better a ktm150sx or a ktm143.3sx? I think that is why I'm sure I could be wrong...

For all of you that say it sounds better or looks better to have even numbers then explain my the 505 which is actually a 477 isn't called a 480?

Don't you think calling a 477 a 505 is a little ridiculous?

Displacement specs are openly provided by the mfg - not even close to false advertising. They could call all CRFs "Simply The Best Bikes on The Planet" and still be technically correct.

Displacement specs are openly provided by the mfg - not even close to false advertising. They could all CRFs simply the best bikes on the planet and still be technically correct.

i couldnt agree more...👍

actually there was an article somewhere on why take KTM for example called at least there 510 a 530. It started when they made it they were going to call it a 510 but husqvarna already had 510 so they called it the 520 and from there they had an upgraded motor which added 5 horsepower and called it the 525 and same thing yet again........................yes its a tad frustrating but anybody would be like ***? if they saw a 156 of 249

• Like 1

For all of you that say it sounds better or looks better to have even numbers then explain my the 505 which is actually a 477 isn't called a 480?

Don't you think calling a 477 a 505 is a little ridiculous?

Because 480 doesn't sound or look better than 477, let alone 505 👍

Don't you mean, "Objects appear Larger than they Are."

Just wondering.

Dave

Don't you mean, "Objects appear Larger than they Are."

Just wondering.

Dave

No he means what he said.....