Sign in to follow this  

At what point is it false advertising?

A chain saw mfg. we do work for got sued because they advertized 50cc,they changed the head gasket thickness (for $ reasons) which brought the cc's under 50 just barely,someone discovered this,visited the ambulance chaser and filed suit. Then they also had a huge recall. Maybe that's why they all rate them short?????

oh my god, who cares?! it's a chainsaw! Either way, it'd be a missrepresentation of size, so I don't think that's the reason bike mfgs do it.

A chain saw mfg. we do work for got sued because they advertized 50cc,they changed the head gasket thickness (for $ reasons) which brought the cc's under 50 just barely,someone discovered this,visited the ambulance chaser and filed suit. Then they also had a huge recall. Maybe that's why they all rate them short?????

The displacement of an engine is derived strictly from the bore and stroke - gasket thickness is not a factor.

errr, these bikes don't weigh 100 pounds. 4-5 pounds for a typical dirtbike is more like 2% (4/240=1.6%)

I do hate the fact that they advertize dry weight (no fluids at all). At least Dirt Rider, when they test a bike, weigh it "ready to ride" which is the weight that really matters.

if you read my post again i said the small ktm bikes i meant the 50cc bikes

and yes they do weigh 100lbs. but i should have been more clear when i said small ktm bikes,

I do hate the fact that they advertize dry weight (no fluids at all). At least Dirt Rider, when they test a bike, weigh it "ready to ride" which is the weight that really matters.

not all, KTM quote with all fluids except fuel:ride:

okay, I think how this started is to be legal in certain motorsports you need to have under a certain size motor (i.e. 450cc 4 stroke in AMA)

but due to manufacturing tolerances they needed to produce engines that were slightly less than that to ensure that every dirtbike that was sold met this spec.

Tolerances add up quick and I'd expect to see a variation of about 0.5% of total displacement. Which means they need to produce a 450 that has a nominal disp. of 447.7 cc's

again, it's just a name for some manufacturers. Does the Honda S2000 have 2000cc's? does the Mazda 6 have 6cc's? F-150?

Yep KTM is almost always within a couple of pounds of "Real world" the others? Well not so much.

As said before with KTM the 5xx is simply a model number not a displacement

When started the 520 was the big one, then the new forks (48mm vs. 43) and other changes (seat, axle size etc..) it became the 525 not that the motor changed then the 530 with the new motor.

I think everyone is jelous of us ktm guys

This is exactly what I'm talking about w/ the upity attitude, I guess it comes w/ the bike at dealer orientation class, which includes snack of champaign and liitle sandwhiches w/o crust:p :worthy:👍

• Like 1

holeshot is right,gasket thing was another issue,oops. i think the fix they asked for was to spread the hole centerline distance on the conn rod to get it back above 50cc. you guys are tough!!

They could call it the new "flerpzig", but that doesn't make it a flerpzig (whatever that is).

I demand a genuine Flerpzig

Take car names for example. Does driving the Dodge Diplomat make you an ambasador?

Haha, I think it brings you down a peg

again, it's just a name for some manufacturers. Does the Honda S2000 have 2000cc's? does the Mazda 6 have 6cc's? F-150?

The S2000 originally was 1997 CC, but in '04 they made them 2157cc.

I think it is a little of both... They are required by AMA to be under a certain CC, and then some companies get carried away in rounding up the numbers til they find a cool sounding number.

Why not call it a 660 or a 670 or even a 680 but a 690?!?! 👍

They already had a 660. It was the top of the line race version of the older LC4 motor.

if you read my post again i said the small ktm bikes i meant the 50cc bikes

and yes they do weigh 100lbs. but i should have been more clear when i said small ktm bikes,

oops, I must have missed that... 👍

Last time I rode a bike without gas, it wasn't very fast. 👍

But as far as I'm concerned, undercutting by a few seems fine. Nobody is goign to have a fit of a 450 really being 449. But when you get into bikes like the KTM 505 which is really 477, that's getting a bit odd. I can understand the desire not to call it a 477, that's fine, and even a 500 is probably ok, but why add the other 5? What is wrong with calling it a 500? Or with the KTM 690, which is really more like a 660. Why not call it a 660? If it was really about even numbers it'd be called a 700, 690 makes no more sense than 660.

The quadtards have it worse though, that Polaris 800 is really 760, and I think there are some that are jsut barely over 700 at all, which is getting to the point of being down right fraudulent.

motor cycle cc's are nominal and swing wich ever way it sounds cool

Keep in mind if your insurance jumps at 400 cc's for a street legal bike but you only have a 395 it could save you a few bucks.

Keep in mind if your insurance jumps at 400 cc's for a street legal bike but you only have a 395 it could save you a few bucks.

👍

I believe part of the reason was started back in the original MX daze. Like RMXC51 said, all those bikes had to fit into one class or another, and the classifications were the maximum displacement allowed. If you were racing an iron-sleeved 250 that was built at 250.00 cc's, once the cylinder was over-bored (which was really common in those days), you'd no longer be legal in the 250 class, you'd have to race the open class.

Hey can't we sue for this?

I'm gonna sue'em so I can buy a 150sx, or 143.6 I mean:p

jk, but I don't see why it's such a big deal:excuseme:

KTM built a 144cc bike and called it the "144SX".

The AMA bumped the limit to 150cc and KTM renames the bike the 150SX, implying they went up in size to match the new rule.

This is a case where changing the name stinks. 👍

Almost every motorcycle has fewer cc's than the name. Usually to have a little leeway to avoid being 1cc over the limit.

What kind of engine is in an Audi 5000? 👍

When the marketing department takes over, it's all downhill from there.