Sign in to follow this  

XT 350 Oil Strainer Seized

I have a 1998 XT 350 and I have only had it for two weeks and I went to do an oil change and I found that the oil strainer cover on the bottom of the motor was seized in place and the previous owner had rounded the bolt completely.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting it off? It's up in a rounded slot so the only tool available is a socket and the socket doesn't work well on a rounded bolt.

Thanks.

air hammer. it will take it off but you will need a new one after you get it out.

Yes, order a new one first.

Then to undo you can either use vice grips or you can use a chisel and hammer to hit an edge and try to turn it. It may pay to spray alot of WD40 at it too.

I ground new flats into it and pounded a different socket onto it.

I also heated up the case with a heat gun and then sprayed some freon on the plug. Came right out. They must have had Donkey Kong tightening these things.

Ok, quick update....I ordered in a new strainer cover and O-ring and the way that I got the old one off was to spray lots of penetrating oil on it and then I took a hammer and chisel and gently tapped it in the direction to loosen it. The aluminum started to break away but it did start to turn and then it was off. Obviously you wouldn't want to do this unless you had a new one handy.