Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum handguards for the 110?

Took the plunge and snapped up a TTR110 for my 8 year old and he's loving it. Has anyone installed aluminum handguards on the stock handlebars? I'm wondering who makes them for the 110?

Also, who makes a high flow air filter for it?

Thanks.

Took the plunge and snapped up a TTR110 for my 8 year old and he's loving it. Has anyone installed aluminum handguards on the stock handlebars? I'm wondering who makes them for the 110?

Also, who makes a high flow air filter for it?

Thanks.

Moose Mini Aluminum handguards with Cycra low profile shields will work great on that bike. That is what I have run on my sons last 2 bikes. Granted those were both with aluminum bars. You may have to find a diff bar end for the stock bars as they are steel and the ID of the bar is larger than the aluminum bars and the bar end inserts probably wont work for ya. Id replace the stock bars while you are at it. You will probably have to cut the replacements down a little to get them close to what the stockers are as the stock bars are really narrow and no one makes a bar that narrow. I cant remember what bars I used on my sons TTR90. Maybe an answer or Moose. Something like that.

This is his CRF100 with the Moose/cycra guards

frontview.jpg

This is about the best closeup pict I can find of my kids old TTR90 with those handguards on it.

Marblehead.jpg

Interesting terrain you have your boy on in that second shot. My son would be freaking, lol.

Not sure how much the TTR90's bars differ from the TTR110's -- I've got a tech buddy doing this for me along with the tires you recommended, adding (and shortening) a folding tip shift lever, as well as opening up the airbox, popping out the silencer, and re-jetting. Also hoping to add a High Flow filter, but he's trying to find out who makes them for the TTR110. (I haven't made any calls myself -- I write the checks and he makes the calls...).

He found that the Moose handguards that came in won't fit without some ugly modifications. Apparently, the problem is the stock handlebar, much like on the CRF50s, etc., is a fairly "deep" handlebar, as opposed to the more traditional bars on bigger bikes.

I suggested he call Moose (and Cycra, for that matter). I might just take your advice and upgrade the handlebars as it's been suggested more than once that the stock ones are pretty soft. Do you remember what bars you went with on the 90? I want to avoid bars that are designed for adults setting these up as pit bikes.

yea he had a good time that day in those rocky conditions. Most of the riding we do isn't like that. Hes 12 now and on a YZ85. He was around 8 when I took him there on the 90.

marblehead2.jpg

I really cant remember what bar I had on mine. It was pretty close to the stock bend. It was wider though. I had to cut them down a little to get close to the stock width. I think I was still like 1" wider than stock though as stock is really narrow.

Moose makes a Mini aluminum handguard for smaller bikes like the CRF100,TTR125 YZ85's, bikes with narrow bars. I had the bars on my YZ400 cut to 29" and they fit really well on that. Granted the TTR110 is probably more like 27-28" wide.

Im thinking the bar I used was an ATV bar though, Maybe a MSR or Moose bar. It was the only thing I could find with the rise that was close to the stock bend. The stock bars are pretty tall compared to your standard MX bar. Most bars only have like a 2-3" rise. The TTR bars are like a 5" rise. Pretty tall.

yamaha GYTR makes a high flow air filter pod, I dont think anyone makes a high flow filter to replace the one in the air box. I have the gytr filter,jet kit, and pro curcuit t-4. I forgot to tell ya, the pipe helped a little bit all around I would say, low and high. Everything together with the air filer and jet kit made a noticable difference in power. The spoket, i went from a 35 to 37, not much difference, but helped where I ride if you get my drift. 1st geat is a stump puller for sure. Also for tires, I have the Michelin Starcross MS2 on mine and they work great for medium to soft conditions. They really hook up.

Yep, MS2s seem to be a pretty unanimous favorite.

I've been eyeing the T-4 ever since you mentioned it. But I figured I'd uncork the bike first, see what's what, and go from there. Thanks for the tip on the GYTR filter pod.

Yep, MS2s seem to be a pretty unanimous favorite.

I've been eyeing the T-4 ever since you mentioned. But I figured I'd uncork the bike first, see what's what, and go from there. Thanks for the tip on ght GYTR filter pod.

Pull the insert out of his stock pipe. Take the spark arrestor out of it. Then take that cone thing on the end (next to the sparky) and cut that off and re-weld it in the other direction so the exhaust is funneled into the main insert pipe. Then drill a bunch of holes in that "insert pipe" and wrap it with silencer packing and put it back together. Works very well.

I wouldn't put a lot of $ into that 110. Gear your mods more towards survibability in a crash. No matter how much $ you throw into it the suspension will always suck and there is no way to fix that.

core.jpg

Also the top tripple clamp is made of silly putty. I made a new one. Measured the stock one up, drew up what I wanted and had a new one laser cut out of 1/4" plate steel. Worked great. And really stifened up the front end.

Wow is that bike dirty in those picts. Usualy I keep up on that better. Must just gotten back from a ride or something when I took these...yea thats it..lol

MVC-008F.jpg

clamptop.jpg

clampside.jpg

LOL -- you still have those schematics for a bike you don't own anymore? But that's great stuff, and I hear ya on not sinking a whole lot into it. Beyond better tires for motocross riding (which my boy likes most of all) and the folding tip shifter, I figured a little more low-end snap would help him with his jumps, etc. Torn between these pipe mods and throwing an aftermarket pipe on there (the T-4 RacerScott mentioned is less than $200, I think, and the DRD and another one I can't recall isn't much more).

Good advice about crash survivability. Better handlebars might be in order, too (and would help me with my handguard fitting issues). There's a bit more long term to my ownership of these kids bikes, too. Coming up behind him is my 3 year old, who'll get the now-dormant XR50, and after that, presumably the 110 (but that boy's got a wild hair, so he might want something a little less "tame," so who knows).

Heh -- I showed said 8 year old your photos of your boy on that rocky trail, and pointed out my comment he'd be freaking. He was in complete agreement (he's still shell-shocked after I took him down a 6 mile harescramble trail about a month back -- mighta gone better if he were on the 110 instead of that little XR50).

While I'm on the subject of pipes (just spotted that BBR blowout sale, to boot) -- RacerScott and anyone else who swapped out pipes for their kids' 110s -- any issues with hot pipes? Swapping out the stock pipe (presumably) also means losing the healthy amount of heat shielding that comes with it. I know how hot my Megabomb header can get on my 250F! (but that sticks out pretty far...)

The header on my t-4 does not have a heat shield but tucks inside really good and I haven't bumped into it yet. I know the sale on the BBR is for the old style pipe that has a heat shield, the Yamaha GYTR pipe has a heat shield and that looks like a really nice pipe to. Ive had procircuit on previous bikes and always had good luck so I'm a bit biased toward them.

LOL -- you still have those schematics for a bike you don't own anymore? But that's great stuff, and I hear ya on not sinking a whole lot into it. Beyond better tires for motocross riding (which my boy likes most of all) and the folding tip shifter, I figured a little more low-end snap would help him with his jumps, etc. Torn between these pipe mods and throwing an aftermarket pipe on there (the T-4 RacerScott mentioned is less than $200, I think, and the DRD and another one I can't recall isn't much more).

Good advice about crash survivability. Better handlebars might be in order, too (and would help me with my handguard fitting issues). There's a bit more long term to my ownership of these kids bikes, too. Coming up behind him is my 3 year old, who'll get the now-dormant XR50, and after that, presumably the 110 (but that boy's got a wild hair, so he might want something a little less "tame," so who knows).

Heh -- I showed said 8 year old your photos of your boy on that rocky trail, and pointed out my comment he'd be freaking. He was in complete agreement (he's still shell-shocked after I took him down a 6 mile harescramble trail about a month back -- mighta gone better if he were on the 110 instead of that little XR50).

Yea its amazing the picts I have showhorned away in my photobucket account. Never know when they will come in handy. Yea I know...I never throw anything away...Im a packrat.

Your on the right track by the sounds of it. Keep the mods geared towards survivability and more throttle response and youll have a bike that will run forever. Do that exhaust mod, bump the pilot 1 size and open up the airbox and youll be in good shape. Put a 1" spacer on top of the fork spring and put some good 15w oil in the forks. Raise the preload spacer on the rear shock. Folding top shifter, handguards, new bars, maybe fab up a top tripple clamp and it will be pretty much bomp proof.

The 110 and 90 are pretty much the same bike just more displacement and new plastics. I am almost certain that the frame, engine cases, suspension and wheels are all the same between the 2 bikes. Heck The pw80 shares most of the same parts.

If your interested I can get ya a drawing of that top tripple clamp. Have a local metal shop lazer cut you one and your in. My son kept bending his top clamp were the bar mounts bolted to it. It was a pain.

P1010278.jpg

enlarged.jpg

woods-MXrocket.jpg