Sign in to follow this  

Gettin my bike saturday

SO after months of research, shopping around, then actually finding a dealership that even had a wr250r left in stock, im picking mine up on saturday. Im pretty excited. Took, and passed, my motorcycle permit test this morning so im good to go on that aspect. I just have a few questions.

How much can the bike be lowered without the lowering link? im only 5' 8" so the stock 36 point something inch seat height is a little up there for me to be comfortable as im just starting out. Ive ridden before but am no where near an experienced rider so i would like to get atleast two half feet on the ground.

Ill probably have them order me an exhaust and just have it put on the loan. I know a lot of people have the FMF on here but im kind of interested in the yoshimura. What one would you prefer? also is an EFI programmer a necessity when you put an aftermarket exhaust on or just something nice to have?

Im sure ill have a ton more. Any other information you think i should know cant hurt either. thanks a lot. Me and a few buddies are going for a ride saturday. Ill see what i can do for pictures.

Congrats on the new bike. As for lowering the bike, one way to assist getting it slightly lower is to set the suspension up a little softer that way you will get a little more sag when you sit on the bike therefore taking it down lower. That said, it will effect the performance of the bike. How much do you weigh? If you don't mind me asking. I am 5'10" tall and about 177lbs and really don't have any issues.

I also naturally ride using only one foot on the ground at stops for the most part. This way you can keep the rear brake covered. I would suggest once you get a little experience under your belt and are a little more comfortable with the bike try approaching your riding this way. Anyway off topic.

As for the exhaust I would highly recommend a PC III or the FMF tuner to assist with programming the bike to run properly with an exhaust. Once you add the exhaust it will run o.k. but to get the full performance from it you will need to be able to adjust your fuel ratios.

Again congrats and enjoy the new ride.

Another way to avoid losing suspension travel is to shave the seat. If you do a search on it there are pics on how to do it. You can probably shave 1", not sure if that is enough.

I highly recommend trying out the stock height for a while before making any major changes like seat shaving or a yamalink (do a search for more information on this).

At stop lights, I sit a little to the left and put one foot on the ground and leave my right foot on the right peg to cover the brake. It's comfortable and stable. I believe the ride height is also adjustable (gotta rtfm).

How much can the bike be lowered without the lowering link?

The built-in adjustment can lower seat height around an inch.

Also, not that you asked, but if you just got your permit (no license yet) then I'm assuming you're new to riding (could be wrong obviously). If that's the case then I would say hold off on doing any exhaust / engine mods.

You hear a lot of folks on the boards trying to squeeze a handful more HP out of the bike, but those guys are mostly more experienced riders.

Get it, put some handguards on it (an attempt to save your levers when you drop it), and ride.

After you're done the break-in then you can decide if you want to look at mods. Side benefit that if you get a boost in performance later (rather than right out of the dealership) then you'll notice the difference = extra grin factor.

I'd say take that money you were going to spend on an exhaust and upgrade some of your gear.

Second side note, check out the Safety Course. It's free in PA (Delaware / MD I think they pay for it), a great way to gain some confidence, and you'll have your license at the end of it (easier than going the DMV test route I'd say).

Congrats and best of luck w/ the new bike and hopefully I'll see you out there.

Second side note, check out the Safety Course. It's free in PA (Delaware / MD I think they pay for it), a great way to gain some confidence, and you'll have your license at the end of it (easier than going the DMV test route I'd say).

Free?! I just paid $275 here in MA. Definitely worth it, but damn, free is awesome. Pretty happy I got my license though.

Free?! I just paid $275 here in MA. Definitely worth it, but damn, free is awesome. Pretty happy I got my license though.

Yep, pretty nice setup. Also, because it's free, pretty much every class has at least 1 or 2 last minute "no-show's" so it's way easier to get into a class fast. If you go to sign up and all of the classes are full, you just sign up as a stand-by or whatnot... go to the first day of the class and if a seat is free you get it.

It's hard for me to believe that there are people riding around that HAVEN'T been to that class when it's free and so quick and easy. Not to mention the insurance discount.

In case you haven't seen the great tutorial how to utilize the stock lowering, here's the link: CLICK

Many dealers have used that above step-by-step (great job by TT's stom_m3!) to train their techs!

I recommend trying that first and properly adjusting your sag. Good luck!

SO after months of research, shopping around, then actually finding a dealership that even had a wr250r left in stock, im picking mine up on saturday. Im pretty excited. Took, and passed, my motorcycle permit test this morning so im good to go on that aspect. I just have a few questions.

How much can the bike be lowered without the lowering link? im only 5' 8" so the stock 36 point something inch seat height is a little up there for me to be comfortable as im just starting out. Ive ridden before but am no where near an experienced rider so i would like to get atleast two half feet on the ground.

Ill probably have them order me an exhaust and just have it put on the loan. I know a lot of people have the FMF on here but im kind of interested in the yoshimura. What one would you prefer? also is an EFI programmer a necessity when you put an aftermarket exhaust on or just something nice to have?

Im sure ill have a ton more. Any other information you think i should know cant hurt either. thanks a lot. Me and a few buddies are going for a ride saturday. Ill see what i can do for pictures.

welp i did get my bike. ive just been too busy riding to get back on here. My truck is jealous no doubt. i went on a couple of rides with my buddies over the 3 day weekend and had a blast. it was tons of fun offroad. no pictures though, sorry. my cameras dead and looking for the charger cuts into valuable riding time :-p. this weekend we are planing to go for a ride so ill have to make sure i can get some then. I havent lowered it at all yet. i can get both tip toes on the ground. here soon, probably this weekend, ill lower it a bit.

all in all, 300 miles later, im extremely pleased with the decision i made. i love this bike.