Sign in to follow this  

I got a new bike!!!

After many years of wanting to upgrade bikes, but having to save my money in college, I finally did it. I just graduated and have my first job as an engineer, so I figured it is finally time to get my bike. After much research and thinking, I went with a 2008 KTM 250xcf-w. My current bike is a 1997 XR250R, and I am out-growing it. I live in the California bay area, and about 20 minutes from Carnigie park. Carnegie is a lot of hill climbs and great trails, but I just needed more power and suspension.

Anyways, I will post pics soon, but I do have some questions. I was wondering what you guys recommend for a break-in? The manual says easy riding for about 20 hours. The dealer says 10 heat cycles then an oil change.

I already have bought a skid plate, since I think it is a necessitie. I was wondering about a JD kit. I hear these bike, as well as many bikes, come lean from the factory. Do you guys recommend me getting a JD jet kit?

Finally, the dealership has a suspension expert, and told me to come back in and they will set up the suspension(sag and whatnot). I weigh 135 pounds without gear and I think the bike comes set up for a person 160 pounds.

Anyways, thanks if you read this far. I am really excited to get this bike, and I can't wait to get some time on it!

as far as break in goes, i just took it steady (ish) for the first hour, changed the oil,filter and cleaned the screens. then rode at a fast trail pace for the next hour. let it cool down then let rip on the mx track for the rest of the day ( about 2.5hrs track time) I would say it is now well broken in and ready for it's first race on sunday.

as far as jetting jetting goes, if possible get it set up on a dyno. your jetting will be perfect and you don't have to mess about changing jets,doing a lap and so on.

if the dealer is doing the suspension set up for free, get it done. if their charging you do it your self. sag is most important, then it's just personal preference on the clickers, kitted up you won't be far off the right weight for the standard suspension settings.

good luck and enjoy

Congrats, welcome to the club.

I also left the XR280R/300cc club and came to the Orange camp riding a 400cc EXC blue plated for the street. I took the time to tune the carb and all I can say is WOWOWOWOW, very impressed with the quality of the parts and power of the motor. Mine is a 2001 RFS.

First 15 minutes is the CRUCIAL part of break in where your piston rings will form to the wall.

keep it in the mid range, don't short shift it, and give her some good pressure(not reving, kinda mid range lugging) so that the rings are pressure sealed.

for the first 2-3 hrs try not to keep it around the rev limiter so all the bearings can get used to high rpms, then LET-R-RIP baby.

Congrats on the KTM, they are so awesome after you get used to the way they are. but I say that about ever bike... 👍 EXCEPT KAWASAKI... Ahhhh I hate green, god forbid a transmission actual shift through some gears.

Thanks for the replies guys, so far I have only ridden it down the street a couple times. I will probably go for a nice ride next week, then I will change the oil. I am pretty much amazed in the quality of the bike and how it comes factory. There are no restrictions, and they use top notch parts. I will post some pics soon.

Welcome to the 250XCFW club!! There are two schools of thought on breaking in a new engine. Some people believe the best way to break in a new engine is "ride like you stole it". I always break in my bikes with easy to moderate riding on the first day, no full throttle and don't lug the engine. The secret is heat cycles, ride the bike until the cylinder gets warm, let it cool until you can touch it with a bare hand, then ride it again, cool, etc. I usually go through four to five heat/cool cycles, always varying the throttle settings. After the first ride I change the oil, clean all the screens and change the filter. The next ride, just ride normally, enjoy your new bike and have fun.

👍 Congrats on the new Orange machine! I have the same machine and love it!

Welcome to the 250XCFW club!! There are two schools of thought on breaking in a new engine. Some people believe the best way to break in a new engine is "ride like you stole it". I always break in my bikes with easy to moderate riding on the first day, no full throttle and don't lug the engine. The secret is heat cycles, ride the bike until the cylinder gets warm, let it cool until you can touch it with a bare hand, then ride it again, cool, etc. I usually go through four to five heat/cool cycles, always varying the throttle settings. After the first ride I change the oil, clean all the screens and change the filter. The next ride, just ride normally, enjoy your new bike and have fun.

I don't know about your bike, but my 450, is still hot to the touch after 2 hours.

you don't need to break it in nicely, just ride it like your going to ride it after break in. honestly, are you going to keep it pinned ALL THE TIME.

try not to short shift, cause its too much stress on the engine, plus the engine gets jerky and that can't be good for stuff trying to get settled.

b-e-a-utiful bike bro!

hope she gallops as well as she looks!

Thanks again everyone!!! I can't wait to ride it! Here are a few pictures I took.

NewKTM001.jpg

NewKTM004.jpg

NewKTM009.jpg