Sign in to follow this  

Broken Collarbone

I broke my collarbone 3 and 1/2 weeks ago and go to see the doctor tomarrow. How lon does it take for a doctor to clear you to ride when you break your Collarbone?

Is it healed? I bet not...I waited 4 1/2 months and mine never reconnected...but i was able to ride my vike at about 2 1/2 months....I eventually went to Dr Mark to have it plated so it would heal properly...after that i was riding in 6 weeks....

its healed i can do pushups and pullups with minimal pain.

Its VERY unlikely at 3 and a half weeks its healed. Because it doesnt hurt doesnt mean its healed. 👍 The time it takes for a bone to heal depends on many factors including age, physical health, type of bone, severity of fracture, nutrition and blood flow to the bone. Obviously smaller bones tend to heal more quickly but larger bones take longer.

The only thing I can say is eat right, dont smoke, drink your milk and stick to what the doctor tells you, especially regarding physical therapy. Blood stimulation will help the bone heal more quickly so I am all for light exercising where the fracture occured. Just be CAREFUL, dont push yourself! At this stage in your healing I would be extremely careful about doing push ups or pull ups.

Was the fracture displaced?

It wasnt displaced. The doctor said that it was in place just to not move it at all.

No matter...it will not be healed in 3 1/2 weeks...minimum is 6 weeks...and post up your Xray so the doc could see it. Very tough to tell you what to do unless we see a picture.....Its worth a thousand words...

I'm 7 weeks post op with a bone graph and mine is still not completely healed. I can not see how it could possibly be healed in 3 and half weeks unless it was just maybe a stress crack and not a complete break. I agree with Scotty and the Doc will say it too. Post the films.

you guys were right i have minimum another month. I saw the x-ray and it didnt look good. Hopefully a month will do it.

If it has not healed with in 6 weeks then its not going to heal...this has been my experience...fly to H'toen and have Dr Mark fix and you will be riding in 6 weeks...

Scotty J