Noob looking for drz

Hey all

I have a rebel 250 right now that I've been learning on, and I am more than ready to move up, especially cause I've been doing more highway commuting now, and i barely have power to make it up bridges at 65 lol. And riding at the max power with none left to carry me out of harms way if need be scares the 👍 outta me.

So I was wondering if the DRZ is right for me. I was wondering if on the highway, i can go 60 easily, and more importantly, on interstates (75mph) with enough power to comfortably pass...I don't plan on speeding tons, but if a cager pulled into my lane, I'd sure like enough power to get out of the way comfortably without feeling like the bike is going to blow up.

Also, would this bike be okay for longer trips ~200 or more?

Thanks!

88five-oh

Edit: I was looking at a DRZ-400sm, not the s

It really boils down to what you really want out of the bike. The DRZ is loads of fun if you want to find a twistie road... or go urban assaulting (sidewalks and curbs are no longer off-limit) Heck even the wheelies and stoppies are addictive.

But simply plugging along on the highway... not really the DRZ's cup of tea, sure it can do it... but it isn't fun. The vibes will get to you, you will get blown around, and you will top out in low 90's.

The DRZ is a compromise bike, if you want it for the fun... and the highway is a necessary evil.. sure, but if your buying it for the highway, look elsewhere.

hmmm yeah I really want it for all those aspects (hella cornering, easy modification, quick enough to be fun, slow enough to not kill yourself in the accidental twist of the throttle), and i commute about 20 miles on the highway every day...but thats about it, sometimes we go on longer rides, but tend to take the backroads which are usually about 55-65 anyways... idk how often I'd ride on the interstate (it sucks anyways, no scenery or curves) I was just wondering if it could be done. and it sounds like if it was necessary, it could.

I just love the looks and feel of sitting on the bike, and I don't wanna be stuck to an sv650 too bad, although thats my 2nd choice. I just think if I got the sv, everytime I saw a DRZ I'd wish I had it. haha.

but can longer trips at slower paces be done? (I rode about 200 miles o my rebel, but it was a scenic backroad that had tons of hills and curves) so I'd like to do that again. And the uncomfortable seat on the DRZ isn't an issue as long as everything else is up to doing it.

OK, that makes more sense... the seat does suck... and you will know you put some miles on in a day if you do a 200 miler... but its certainly feasible. I do 200 mile days every time I get to the mountains, its so much fun to lay it over in the curves that your butt forgets it hurts.

Plus, 20 miles isn't squat on the highway... if your like me you will be WFO the whole time just so you aren't getting passed by cars... but 20 miles isn't bad... my threshold of that is about 45 miles, then I've had enough.

I have had my DRZ for a month 👍 My buddy has had his for 2 years and 22,000miles:applause: . I luckily purchased the bike with a Corbin Seat:thumbsup: which makes long trips much more comfortable. My buddy rallydrz and I regularly go on 200 mile per day trips. With the stock gearing on the S it cruises comfortably @ 60-65mph. If you change the Gearing to stock SM gearing you can cruise all day @ 70-75 if needed. We spend only a limited amount of time on Freeways and do all we can to take the "long way round". If there isn't dirt or forest service roads we try to find a good twisty sm style road to travel to our next point. The DRZ is a great bike and reliable as anything out there. Keep in mind if you get a used S or SM you can spend a little extra cash jet 3X3 E header and modify to the stock exhaust and it will have plenty of pickup on the freeway. Just my $.02 from a noob

Wind Screens Really help with the Freeway time on the DRZ!!