XR400 front tire out of balance-Help!!

I have a 1998 model and have only recently begun using it as a commuter. The front (maybe both) have a "rhythmic" vibration to it/them. I was told by my local shop that the tire locks are the culprit. Can I remove them? Do I have to?

You can remove the rim locks for road use as your using more pressure in road tyres to keep the bead seated, rim locks are for when running low pressure 15psi for example for off road riding to stop the tire spinning on the rim.

imo DO NOT remove the rim lock by removing it you could be setting yourself up for a bad crash. take your rim lock out and weigh it then go to any motorcycle shop and ask them for some wheel weights (they will probably just give them to you for free) they are are self sticking but i would put duct tape over them too. just put the proper weight opposite the rimlock on the wheel. i think just doing the front wheel should be aok

Because he has only recently begun using it as a commuter, which means he rides it off road as well, so better to keep the rim locks.

You can do a simple balancing yourself by inserting the axle thru the wheel and spin the wheel, holding the axle ends in your hands. Let the wheel stop and settle at the heaviest point. Do that a few times to see if it settles close to the same point every time. Then gradually increase the amount of stick on weights opposite that point until you can spin the wheel and have the 2 points horizontally opposite each other. That should be a close enough balancing.

Why not remove the rim lock? just interested to know why, I've never seen a spoked wheeled road bike with rim locks.

I do the poor-man's balance job myself (I ride mine on the street once in a while). Learned it on this site, I think. Use two auto jack stands and let the front wheel settle which will almost always be at the rimlock. Then I use lead fishing weights (thought the stick-on weights probably would be better - just harder to come by) that I crimp to the opposite side spokes, just use the right weight / combo of weights till the wheel doesn't 'settle' to the same spot anymore. I don't bother with the rear wheel. Pretty good improvement on the road, doesn't do a thing for off-road.

I suppose, if you don't have auto jack stands and didn't want to remove your front wheel and have a motorcycle jack that will get the front wheel off the ground, you could easily remove your caliper and do the balance job right on the bike.

Thank all of you for your great information. I think I will remove the wheel from the bike, balance it on some car stands, and addd the fishing weights. This encompasses several suggestions. I will reply back with the outcome.

FYI I used Krylon Fusion on my plastic and so far am very happy with the outcome. I didn't use any clear a) I wanted the matt-finish look ? Krylon help desk said the fusion would dry harder than the clear

Thanks again.

I do the poor-man's balance job myself (I ride mine on the street once in a while). Learned it on this site, I think. Use two auto jack stands and let the front wheel settle which will almost always be at the rimlock. Then I use lead fishing weights (thought the stick-on weights probably would be better - just harder to come by) that I crimp to the opposite side spokes, just use the right weight / combo of weights till the wheel doesn't 'settle' to the same spot anymore. I don't bother with the rear wheel. Pretty good improvement on the road, doesn't do a thing for off-road.

I suppose, if you don't have auto jack stands and didn't want to remove your front wheel and have a motorcycle jack that will get the front wheel off the ground, you could easily remove your caliper and do the balance job right on the bike.

I also static balance but this last time I stopped by a tire shop and picked up some stick on weights because I was having trouble finding my first two choices; spoke weights or lead wire fishing weights.

After the wheel settles to its low spot Usually the rim lock down) I mark the opposite side (high side) and then rotate the wheel 90 degrees and begin adding weights at the mark until the wheel no longer tries to sag. I've usually been able to balance the wheels on the bike if the wheel bearing are not new and I pry the brake pads away from the rotor.

I also balance the rear wheel because a dirt bike can go fast enough for wheel vibration, you just don't notice it as much on dirt.