Sign in to follow this  

Terrible heel pain after 10 weeks on crutches

I broke both my ankle bones 11 weeks ago with plates and screws. After 6 weeks started PT and 70lbs weight bearing. Everything felt perfect. At 10 weeks I started full weight bearing in a splint boot. Right away the pain in the heel was noticed. It got slightly better after a few days then maybe even a little worse after a week. Terrible in the morning. I'm not taking a medication though. Trying all kinds of insoles. I am allowed to get out the boot now with over the ankle regular boots. Any ideas on pain medication or advice in general would be appreiciated. Around the break areas feel great.

I was on crutches because of my knee/leg for a long time.

When I came off I had terrible heel pain. My doc said it was achilles tendonitis from not using it for so long. Stretched it, took anti-inflammatory meds, iced it and it went away in little less than 2 weeks.

That's just my experience with my heel pain after crutches. I would see your doc just to make sure it's nothing serious.

Eventually it goes away. I still have pain in my ankle 2 years after breaking it. Its going to take time but rough it out. You've been immobilized for so long its going to take some time to bring it back.