Sign in to follow this  

Watkins Weds Prep?

Got my bike all loaded in the truck and ready to go somewhere after work. Just trying to decide which way to go T.V. or Watkins. Watkins says on their website that they prep wed nights....is it hit or miss, or close to weekend prep? Last time i went out on wed, they didn't water once.....just don't want to drive all the way out there for nothing.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Got my bike all loaded in the truck and ready to go somewhere after work. Just trying to decide which way to go T.V. or Watkins. Watkins says on their website that they prep wed nights....is it hit or miss, or close to weekend prep? Last time i went out on wed, they didn't water once.....just don't want to drive all the way out there for nothing.

Thanks!

My past experience with watkins is Wed prep is a joke anyway, and IF they water is hit or miss. weather underground shows it getting pretty windy out there this evening as well. Thunder Valley has been incredible lately, I love that track.

Maybe you haven't been lately but these past few weeks Wednesdays have been great and personally I think the track is awesome

Maybe you haven't been lately but these past few weeks Wednesdays have been great and personally I think the track is awesome

+1

Iv been doing some asphalt stuff and havent ridden watkins on 19s/21s in over a year I think. I didnt care for the layout/prep setup after they had that RMXA or whatever race it was a while back...and then I got into supermoto. But I rolled up this morning and saw the normal lady (is it rhonda?) and she was as nice as ever...

The track is pretty damn cool IMO. I love the fast corners (like after the doubles and then before the step up by the trees..). Watkins is back on my regular schedule

I was there yesterday (Saturday) and they are starting to get some berms built back up, the old crew seemed to remove them. With the berms building it's getting nice then they are actually tilling and watering too. Looked like they were working on a couple old sections, was wondering if they were gonna add them in.

Rhonda is the main lady at the gate and she is always friendly!!!! Nice to have that crew back.

i love the corners there now, they make even the slowest riders (me) seem fast through them...i'll be hitting it up again tomorrow morning... after this little rain the track may be incredible tomorrow..

:doh:👍:worthy: We went out there today. The track was great, well groomed and fast. They watered 3 times before noon and were tilling it up around 2 p.m.

Well here goes some flamebait.

Why do they let the ATV's on the track?? There might of been around 10 working the big track during the day, but of course they wipe out all the lines and ruts.

I really enjoy Watkins and take my family there all the time and will continue to do so. I would definitely pay more for no ATV's.

earl 😛:busted::D:blah:

My boy's picked ou the smiles.

unfortunately the quad guys pay just as much as us 2 wheel guys do, and they are running out of places to go. i was out there today as well and it is just what you have to deal with....what if quads started to really get popular and you were told that a track was quads only? just a part of riding dirtbikes that we have to deal with...and you can just hope that the quad guys are considerate to others on the track even though most 2 wheel guys arent when the shoe is on the other foot...

there are some bad apples on both - the guys on the yellow quad that was blowin up the middle and pee wee track for example.

But the track was amazing today, I actually felt fast - haha- of course I'm feelin it tonight. I think motocross is a main cause of your body ageing at 4x the normal rate.

What time does everyone get out there? I was there around 11:30 and it was great - left at 1ish and they were groom it, just ran out of gas...

I'm with you earl, the quads are frustrating out there. There are some tracks doing really well with not allowing quads, one of the biggest is Aztec in the Springs. It's pretty cool how lines will develop on that track, instead of being pushed all the way out.

On Saturday morning most of the morning there was no quads on Watkins and some really nice lines developed. Then 1 quad went out and did about 3 laps and pushed a couple of corners out.

I don't think we have to worry about he quads taking over MX tracks there class has stayed about the same over the years in MX racing if not smaller. The woods is a whole other issue. Saturday morning it was one quad and 50 bikes, I have ridden out there since 95 and their numbers are consistently small. But 1 quad spinning through the corners.......

what if quads started to really get popular and you were told that a track was quads only? just a part of riding dirtbikes that we have to deal with...and you can just hope that the quad guys are considerate to others on the track even though most 2 wheel guys arent when the shoe is on the other foot...

Jamie

I completely understand your point. I did not buy a quad for myself or any member of my family because there are less and less places to ride them.

I don't look at this a fairness issue, I look at as an issue where Watkins is missing out financially by allowing quads. I can only speak for myself, but I would pay more to not have to worry about the quads.

I also have 2 small kids and having a quad on the peewee or intermediate track ripping around is pretty scary.

Just my .02....

earl

earl made a point that I would like to add to my post. I am not bashing the quads in my post, just stating a problem I see. I'm even open to having some times for all and some just for bikes on the track. Something like Sunday mornings the big track is only open for bikes. In addition there are large areas for them to ride at Watkins not on the track. So no bashing intended by my post.

What if they do like they do i cali from what I understand? you get there sign up and get a number 1 or 2 - quads and bikes, - they can do more depending on turn out and such, and alternate what group goes out first then second and so on - give each group 30 min on the track then you get a water break

Ranger

I think it would work. The only issue I see is there being 3 quads on the track and 300 bikes during their 30 minutes. I would like to see a morning quad time and an afternoon quad time then maybe a limited open time in between. After each quad time the track is watered.

The simple fact is that motorcycles can't mess up a track for a quad but a quad, just one, can mess up a track for bikes big time.

earl

I think Ill just learn how to ride a track with quads on it, and not complain.

But I will complain about any yahoo without a helmet, atv or mx, doing donuts or wheelies in the pits, and scaring the lil kids off the peewee tracks.

+2^^

little story...

Thiers a supermoto shootout series @ erie (called the Colorado supermoto shootout series duh) and its got a couple quad classes. Quads are a HUGE part of that series (only one race left this year) and I have a new respect for them. When we get dwindling numbers of bikes, the quads helped purely by showing up and racing.

The same thing applies to keeping tracks open. Bikes have more volume but quads pay too. They help keep things running.

Watkins was sweet tonight BTW...Im happy to have a prepped track realatively close to the house

Wow why saying you learn to ride with quads you bash guys doing "dougnuts" in the parking lot. There are riding practice drills that involve doing just that. I have learned to ride with them there too.

I am unaware that quads can change the line in a supermoto track but I don't ride supermoto either.

This thread has been about how quads change the lines in a MX track, they do pushing corners all outside. The majority of post here have been suggestions of how to have the quads and bikes co-exist on an MX track, not kick them off. There are riders that will not ride Watkins because of what they do to the track. There are those of us that enjoy the track having multiple lines and we have learned to ride with them and still go there but have looked for a solution that will allow both users to enjoy the track to it's fullest. I don't see the need to talk down to those that are looking for solutions that don't ban a particular user but looks for a way for all to enjoy.

i wonder if the quad guys complain about all the bikes and the goofy lines out there that they leave, or all the jumps that are not set up for quads at all?? i agree about the pits, i probably see more idiots on bikes in the pits than i do quads. i just learn to ride with them, i just stagger when i go out so i will miss them or if i hear or see one coming i will let them get way in front of me.. and if i was fast enough i would keep them behind me...we just can't have everything at a "public" track....