From YZ125 to YZ450F ?

So I sold my YZ125, wanted something different. I think I'm done with the 2-strokers and I really like the YZ450F. I don't race at all, I only ride trails. I've always used 2-strokes on the trails and never had any problems, but have never tried a 4-stroke on the trails. I like MX bikes so I want to stick with them. Do you think the 450 would not be a very good bike for trail riding? And FYI I am 5'6" 150 lbs. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

Ryan.

Since you just got off of a 125 2 stroke, I would really look at a YZ250F. From what people say, the 450 is boring, because you can't ride it to its potential, but you can really use all the power of the 250F, which people say makes riding fun, so I would look at a YZ250F. I hope what I said before made sense.

It is more fun to ride a slower bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow. :worthy:

And on second though, have you looked into the YZ250?? I know you said you're done with smokers, but 250's are nothing like 125 2 strokes. They have tons of torque and IMO, are more woods friendly than a YZ450F, or 250F for that matter. I used to ride a 250F and the constant speed up/slow down from the engine breaking wore me out quick. And now that I'm on a smoker (KTM 250SX), I have also noticed how much lighter they are in the woods...ESPECIALLY the tight stuff. They carry their weight lower, and feel extremely flickable.

Good Luck! ?

agreed on the 250 smoker, in the last year i've gone from a YZ 125, to a KTM 450 EXC-R to an RM 250 and KX 500, and for off roading the RM has been my favurite, plenty of low end in the 250, light, reliable, the 450 is to heavy really and the 125 was fun as hell, actually if i had the moeny i';d buy another one, but if i had to choose the versitility of the 250 smoker is hard to beat, does well on an MX track, excellent in the woods, my RM is stock.

My friend got a 08yz450f. And he said in the woods in stock form would be such a pain in the ass!. He said for woods you want a 2t. Cause they 450fs just dont like to run slow. And in corners if the bike stalls have a good time trying to get it to start. He said if he had the choice again he would of went with the yz250 like he had planned before.?

150 pounds on a YZ450F = trouble to me. Get a YZ250F if you must have a thumper. I wouldn't recommend the YZ250 smoker yet due to your size.

ouch shrub, baby ouch... i'm also 150 lbs, just 5'7" tall, and on a blue 250 :worthy:

i love it, yet i'm lookin' for another 125, a husky WR or another YZ125 '07 and up... haha ?

I have an 06 YZ450f that I use for trails only and I love the bike. I had to rejet the bike, add a GYTR flywheel weight and all the armor and I too came off a YZ250. I have never had a problem with it over heating in the technical stough either.

afterok6.jpg

ouch shrub, baby ouch... i'm also 150 lbs, just 5'7" tall, and on a blue 250 :busted:

i love it, yet i'm lookin' for another 125, a husky WR or another YZ125 '07 and up... haha ?

Finding the 250 to be a bit much in the trees now?:worthy:

I just figure that if the engine is rocket ship fast with instant throttle response and WAY more torque than a 125 it could be troublesome for someone who weighs 100 pounds less than me. Now, if you're a great rider (like Dtkiko) then the issue is moot.

4 strokes are more prone to overheat in tight conditions, particulary if yur on the clutch alot, but ti shouldn't become a problem unless your running it very slow and have her jetted to lean.

Thats a true statement. Ivenever had the bike over heat on my 250X but I dont have to clutch it anywhere near as much as a two stroke. Just kick it down a gear and it will lug along just fine. My dad however doesnt believe in rejetting, so his 450 has over heated once on a long distance desert run.

YZ250F fo sho. If you want a blue thumper. It will be alot easier on gas so there is less worries about running out. Its no fun in anyway to run out. My YZ250 gets about 40 miles to the tank while my CRF250X gets close to 80.

Thankfully the aftermarket tank companies have this figured out. Change your YZ from stock 2.1 to 3.1 and even 3.9 gallon tanks. Clarke, IMS, Acerbis, etc. You may have to buy twice as much gas but you'll have at least twice as much fun burning it.?

The point was though shrub, on the same amount of gas you could go further on the 4 stroke as both tanks on the bikes are 2.1 gallons. Im not saying the 4 stroke is more fun or any of that just pointing out the four stroke can go a bit farther if thats an issue for him.

I agree. I hate having to worry about gas. I have a 3.1 and got it down to 1/8 tank left in 52 miles of mountain single track. Granted, the engine has to work harder to propel my butt up an over the mountains.?